Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15 year old Tyrese Cooper - 20.98 in 200m

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 15 year old Tyrese Cooper - 20.98 in 200m

    At the USATF JO meet today 15 year old Tyrese Cooper broke the national record in the 200m running it in 20.98 (+1.5). This wasn't even a final, or semifinal. He did it in prelims. No video of it available yet. Here is link to an article about the race:

    http://www.milesplit.com/articles/158810

    Running this fast this young doesn't necessarily mean he will be great when he is older. But, he COULD be the next great American sprinter in years to come.
    Last edited by gh; 07-30-2015, 02:25 PM.

  • #2
    Doesn't he have a Caribbean option other than the U.S.? (fwiw)

    Comment


    • #3
      What "national record"?
      Do you mean the national Age 15 record?

      If so, Jack Shepard's HS Track lists the Age 15 record as being Quincy Watts's 20.97 in 1986.

      Also, with all due respect, 15 is kind of old for an 8th grader!
      Last edited by aaronk; 07-30-2015, 06:49 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hipNrip View Post

        Running this fast this young doesn't necessarily mean he will be great when he is older. But, he COULD be the next great American sprinter in years to come.
        Yeah, enough with this Trayvon Bromell. He had his shot!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by aaronk View Post
          What "national record"?
          Do you mean the national Age 15 record?

          If so, Jack Shepard's HS Track lists the Age 15 record as being Quincy Watts's 20.97 in 1986.

          Also, with all due respect, 15 is kind of old for an 8th grader!
          I think it might be a usatf junior Olympic national record. And yes he is a bit old. He may have been reclassified (as they call it these days) or simply left back at some point in his life. But yes, the young man is a year behind. However, he is holding his own against his age group.

          Comment


          • #6
            Video now posted at usatf.tv

            http://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgr...ideo_id=153209

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gh View Post
              Doesn't he have a Caribbean option other than the U.S.? (fwiw)
              Has Turkey or Qatar found out about him?

              Comment


              • #8
                Cooper (born 21Mar00) was 130 days past his 15th birthday yesterday.

                When Quincy Watts ran his 20.97 on 23May86, he was a HS sophomore who was 25 days away from his 16th birthday.

                There seem to be lots of differences between the Age Records maintained by Shepard/T&FN and the USATF national records shown here:
                http://www.usatf.org/statistics/reco...youth&sport=TF

                Maybe its simply a ratification process issue.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                  Also, with all due respect, 15 is kind of old for an 8th grader!
                  He isn't an 8th grader. He is entering the 9th grade. Most children his age would be entering the 10th grade.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by booond View Post
                    He isn't an 8th grader. He is entering the 9th grade. Most children his age would be entering the 10th grade.
                    He's still in his 8th grade 'season'. The rule in Florida is you can't compete any more at 19y, 9m.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      The rule in Florida is you can't compete any more at 19y, 9m.
                      As long as he isn't held back he will be 19y 9m his Freshman year in college.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gh View Post
                        Doesn't he have a Caribbean option other than the U.S.? (fwiw)
                        Doesn't everybody?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Some kids are 17 as seniors and some are 18.Doesnt matter..20.98 legal is fast..especially at 15.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Cooper ran a 21.19 in the semifinal today into a -.9 headwind.

                            He did compete in the middle school state championships in May. Not sure how fair that was but that's another topic. The kid is fast anyway, but at just 15 he is phenomenal.

                            Gh, what Caribbean county are you referring to?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The holding back of young males so that they are at least 18 and often 19 during their senior year in H.S. is so commonplace now that parents I talk to think of it as a foregone conclusion for their 5/6 yr olds. Even the kids know it. 19 is the new 17.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X