X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Bettwy
    replied
    Re: Ritz at OTs

Okay, maybe I am losing my mind. Was there ever a "next event" or "similar event" acceptance? I recall that it only applied to running events.

Maybe acceptance into the US national meet is different in Olympic years?

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied

I think it is the case that every IAAF/IOC member nation is allowed at least one male and one female competitor at the the games. B qs are for multiple entry nations. I suppose that may have changed, but as long as the emerging nation doesn't try the multis or 10K, it probably doesn't affect anything. The one competitor, of course, is for the whole meet. Way back, IOC allowed one competitor per event, which resulted in some real jokes, eg the Haitian "team" in '76.

Leave a comment:

• Asterix
    replied

<<I believe Ritz can run the 5K in Sacramento under that "next event" rule. That is, someone could run in the 200 if they have qualified in the 100.>>

According to http://www.usatf.org/events/2004/Olympi ... ndards.asp it says:

"All qualifying performances for running events must be made on a standard outdoor track or during the 2004 indoor season on an indoor track in the same event;"

Don't see anything there about next events, the only exception being indoor champions or appeals for mile equivalents for 1500m purposes.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

>I believe Ritz can run the 5K in Sacramento under that "next event" rule.
    >That is, someone could run in the 200 if they have qualified in the 100.

That wouldn:t make sense in a field event...or the 400m hurdles/100m(110)m hurdles.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Bettwy
    replied

I believe Ritz can run the 5K in Sacramento under that "next event" rule. That is, someone could run in the 200 if they have qualified in the 100.

Leave a comment:

• ycn
    replied

I also noticed that Jorge Torres has updated his entry for the 5K. He had originally submitted a time of 13:24.00, which was incorrectly stated. Now it is correct at 13:24.17.

Maybe that's picky, but if you look carefully at the list there are entries to be found with rounded times and others submitting wind-aided marks, and I think only exact marks of wind-legal distances and times are allowed.

BTW, Torres or anyone else who hopes to get to the OG's in the 5K better have a time of 13:21.50 or better on or before July 1st, or their chances are next to nil.

The Olympic "A" and "B" standards can be found here

http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/toplists ... s_out.htmx

The "B" standards can be used for admission only if that athlete is the sole entry for his/her country, or the winner of that country's qualifying tournament, if held.

In effect, the "B" marks are there to allow expanded participation. Without "B" marks quite a few countries would not be able to send any track and field athletes to the Games.

Leave a comment:

• ycn
    replied

tafnut, your link is to the entry list, which only includes those who have officially submitted marks applying for entry into the trials.

The qualifier list is here

http://www.usatf.org/events/2004/Olympi ... igible.asp

But it is only up to date through 5/7!

BTW, the trials entry deadline is Wednesday, June 23rd at 5:00 p.m. EDT. If you don't enter by then, there is a late entry petition process that costs a sizeable $250 to initiate. In all cases, any entry MUST be received not later than July 1, 5:00 p.m., or it will be denied.

Leave a comment:

• skyin' brian
    replied

something interesting about the entry list........guess how many former d3 athletes are entered in the men's pv

Leave a comment:

• decamouse
    replied

same holds true in women's pv

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

I'm looking at the OT 'qualified' list at
    http://www.usatf.org/events/2004/Olympi ... status.asp

and notice some obvious people missing, like Toby Stevenson in the PV. Wuzzup with that?

Leave a comment:

• doug stewart
    started a topic Ritz at OTs

Ritz at OTs

My understanding is that after he got the 10 "A" qualifier, Ritz wanted to go for a qualifier in the 5; I assume NCAAs was to be the venue, but the weather didn't cooperate. Am I right that he still needs the "B" qualifier for the 5? If so, is there any likelihood he'll still try to go for it? He's not listed in the Pre 5, and I'd guess he wouldn't want to try too hard a race too close to the OTs.

The 10 at the trials looks like it could be a monster.
Working...
X