Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Women's 4 X 100 Relay ( 2004 Olympics)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Women's 4 X 100 Relay ( 2004 Olympics)

As the Olympic Trails and Summer Games approach and the Drug controversy lingers... Who do you think will be on the women's 4 x 100 Relay... Relay Pool: Gail Devers, Marion Jones, Inger Miller, Torri Edwards, Christie Gaines, Latasha Collander, Angela Williams, Angelia Dagile, & Chrystal Cox.. Christie Gaines has already recieved a letter, so you can count her out and Marion hasn't recieve one yet but I think she is Innocent... I would of put Angela Williams somewhere but I haven't seen her race any this year.

Lead Leg: Torri Edwards or Gail Devers
    2nd Leg: Marion Jones, Gail Devers, or Latasha Collander
    3rd Leg: Inger Miller,Marion Jones or Latasha Collander
    Anchor: Gail Devers or Marion Jones
    That's my list I had trouble picking just on person for each leg.... What is your choice ? Either way I think Gail Devers needs to be somewhere In the Relay...

Re: The Women's 4 X 100 Relay ( 2004 Olympics)

I doubt if Devers makes the relay team and dispite her ability, she'll have a time making the hurdle team. Hopefully she can stand 4 rounds in the OT, but it'll be touchy. If Devers only ran 1 or 2 rounds, she would make ot easily.

Comment

There will NOT be a US relay team without Lauryn Williams this year.

Words in icing on a big chocolate cake just in case.

Comment

If she's willing, I want Gail handling the stick for the USA.

Comment

Note that U.S. 4x1s are no longer picked based particularly on what happens at the Trials. They've been running ongoing camps for last couple of years and non-attendance has been frowned upon. So has not competing on "national teams" like the Red, White & Blue squads at Texas, Penn, etc. A collegian like Williams, with little/no chance to participate is perhaps going to have to be pretty special at the OT to get on the squad.

Of course, the attrition rate of the "regulars" is clearly coming into play here.

Comment

well in my biased opinion, angela williams, with her great start first leg, although she has run only 1 race this year. torri edwards 2nd leg, inger miller on third and either devers or lauryn williams on anchor. i admit part of my picks are because of which ones are friendly, cute and doing it legitimately, the ones i mentioned fit that criteria.

Comment

Angela would be a fantastic scratch with her quick starts, Torri has proven herself over the last couple years, Lauryn looked great at Penn and NCAAs and of course the world's fastest (that they are trying to railroad, would have to be anchor. Inger Miller and Gail Devers could play a large part. More importantly America is going to have to have some nifty baton work to beat the Bahamas and Jamaica. (1) Angela Williams (2) Torri Edwards (3) Lauryn Williams (4) Marion Jones

Comment

I have a hunch that Williams has probably raced more relays this year than anyone on any of the U.S. "Red/Blue/White" teams this year. Risking a gold medal by not having the woman who has run the fastest 100 in the world this year would seem to me to be very short-sighted thinking.

Take Williams off for the 5th fastest, and we are probably talking about a time hit of over .10 seconds, possibly more like .20.

Comment

"A collegian like Williams, with little/no chance to participate is perhaps going to have to be pretty special at the OT to get on the squad."

My cake will stay fresh-frozen until I can throw it out.

Comment

>America is going to have to have some nifty baton work to beat the
                    >Bahamas

Who have the Bahamas got? Debbie Ferguson is in decent form (although not her best), and Chandra hasn't opened her season yet (interesting to see what her future holds, seeing as she's one of Trevor Graham's athletes). Sevatheda Fynes hasn't been running well for a good few years (her car accident may have had something to do with this). After those three, who else have they got? Pauline Davis has retired, and Tameka Clark isn't quite world class.

The Bahamas are going to struggle this year in the short sprints.

Comment

chandra is hurt and probably out for the year. her shin is messed up from the end of last year.

Comment

>I have a hunch that Williams has probably raced more relays this year than
                        >anyone on any of the U.S. "Red/Blue/White" teams this year. Risking a gold
                        >medal by not having the woman who has run the fastest 100 in the world this
                        >year would seem to me to be very short-sighted thinking.>>

And for years fans have howled because of "short-sighted thinking" that put fast people on the relays who had never worked together and just couldn't consistently get the stick around the track!

Comment

Gail Devers is the greatest combination sprinter/Hurdler in history and the most persistent. This will be her 5th Olympic Games. I think it will be hard work cause rumor has it: she will be doubling at the Olympic Trails (100m & 100mH). She was the Gold medalist in the 100mh & Silver Medalist in the 100 meters at the 2003 Nationals. Age is no Factor with Gail Devers; this year she shocked everybody in the 60m dash and only lost once In the 60mh indoor this season.. She has the 2 Fastest times this year In the 100m Hurdles

Comment

>I think it will be hard
                            >work cause rumor has it: she will be doubling at the Olympic Trails

Talking of doubling-up and hard work at the trials, my full support goes to Jearl Miles-Clark. The 400 prelims are just 20 minutes (!!!!) after the 800m final!! I feel her best chance is in the 800m, but if she makes the team in both events, then that would just be great.

Comment

Angela Daigle
                              Torri Edwards
                              Inger Miller
                              Tasha Colander

I doubt any collegiates will make the first relay cut because they have had a long season already and have had their best performances. But you will suddenly see fast times from the professionals around the Olympic trials.

Comment

Working...
                              X