Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bryan Bronson?

In 1995, Bronson participated in a sprint development meet in the Chicago area. There was money to fly him in, put him up at a hotel for a couple days, and for a few meals. Unfortunately, money was tight (most $ probably went to Leroy Burrell and Donovan Bailey) so cash for cabs/limos was only provided if there were no other alternatives. Alternatives meant friends of the meet promoter.

Bronson's agent called and asked me if I could give Bronson and another athlete a ride from the airport to the hotel. Bronson was a quiet kid and even seemed shy.

The drive to the hotel took about 45 minutes. For conversational purposes, I would point out things like, the town of Maywood, where Greg Foster went to high school, Elmhurst, home of York H.S. and at the time, the Keebler IPI Meet.

Bronson talked little, but was interested. It wasn't until the next day that I remembered that he was the 200m? champ at the Keebler IPI a year or two before, and I think he had a No. 1 TFN ranking his senior year in h.s.

The positive drug test - I think a nando? - was a surprise.

But I thought he was, and I am sure he still is, a decent person.

Comment

>Even if his career is behind him, doesn't he
      >deserve:
      >1- RESPECT...

For testing positive ? Very curious logic....
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Agree with Powell - I'm not really sure what I should respect him for.

I, like many others on this board, am a former runner. I wasn't blessed with alot of talent, but I worked hard and fought tooth and nail for everything I got (which wasn't much). I never used performance-enhancing drugs.

Why should I respect someone who did?

Comment

>I'm not really sure what I should respect him for.

You could respect him as a human being. You could respect him as someone who, as gh said, "did the time" for his crime. You could repect him for attempting a comeback in the face of abuse. That doesn't mean respecting what he did, just respecting him as a fellow human.

Comment

I quite agree with 79 and Sprintstatman.
            Moralists are often the greatest cheats.

Comment

I don't have a problem with his coming back. He has served his time, as gh said. I still have no idea why I should respect him, though.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

POWELL, who are your favourite athletes?

Comment

>I don't have a problem with his coming back. He has served his time, as gh
                  >said. I still have no idea why I should respect him, though.

It's simple: We all make mistakes, exercise poor judgment etc. but, hopefully, we learn from those poor choices and move on...which I believe Bronson is doing in making this comeback. I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt...

Comment

In being a first-time poster today, it seems that reading through previous posts using the search field to get a feel for this board, those athletes who make "mistakes" have never quite been accepted by the hard-core fans who post on different threads on this Track and Field News message board. In light of this current argument of forgiving Bryan Bronson, it seems there is prejudice and negative bias toward athletes and people who make a sincere turn-around (instead of quitting or hiding in shame) after a fall from glory.

I can see instances when one may not believe the candor displayed by an athlete (i.e.: Ben Johnson and Kami Keshmeri, as two repeat offender examples). However, if a person like Jeff Laynes can make his way back on the radar and not be dogged as has been the case with Mr. Bronson, can it be possible that people just want to give the guy his space and let him get back to his competitions?

Mr. Bronson has been found guilty of an offense and been punished. Let the man now do his best without the extra hassle.

Comment

It's
                      >simple: We all make mistakes, exercise poor judgment etc. but, hopefully, we
                      >learn from those poor choices and move on...which I believe Bronson is doing in
                      >making this comeback. I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt...>>>

What is of no doubt is that he deliberately took steroids to run faster, place higher and earn more $$$ (and thus take money rightfully earned by someone else). It's a job for these guys, he's coming back in an attempt to make a living again, that's all. I'm getting progressively more angry about these druggies. I vote for life bans, I have no desire to watch an athlete who we know has morals that allow him to cheat in the first place. People who are found to have taken drugs are the most qualified in knowing how effective they are. How many other THGs are there out there that these people could be on?

Comment

>I vote for life bans, I have no desire to watch an athlete who we know has morals that allow him to cheat in the first place

Mark, you have been around long enough to know that it's not as simple as that. Nothing ever is. People can make stupid mistakes, idiotic decisions that they later regret. I know I have. You sound like George Bush - there's us good guys and them evil guys and no room for anything in between.

Banning people for life for a first time offence says there can be no forgiveness, no redemption. Cheat once, be always damned. Come on - that is not the sort of world I want to live in.

It's only a sport, after all.

Comment

1. Kindly NEVER use an analogy that likens me to Bush.

2. It's not just a sport at this level it's a business. Therefore doping is not unlike the illegal business practices of companies such as Enron.

3. If I was born-again I'd probably agree with your "forgive and forget" ideal; however, I am quite happy with how I was born in the first place.

4. Had second thoughts; let them back. I can't think of one instance when a dope-cheat comes back and is anything like their former doped-up self. If they do they are inevitably caught again and then banned for life. They then can't persuade their friends, family and fans that they were victims. The shame is therefore much greater.

Comment

>
                            He has paid enough for what he has done or was
                            supposed to have done.

That is debatable. He has met the requirements set forth by the powers that be.

>Even if his career is behind him, doesn't he
                            deserve:
                            1- RESPECT...
                            2-
                            >ANOTHER CHANCE IN TRACK (which certainly
                            means much more for him.)

1- NO!
                            2- Yes, of course .... the rules as they stand allow for it.

Comment

get a life..you saw me at ncaa champion..if your bitch ass had anything to say to me you could have easily spoken and gotten slapped by me at the point..go and slap your worthless parent for not producing an athlete..on my worst day i am better than you..so dont try keeping up with me b/c i most certainly am not wasting my time keeping up with you..i heard about the email and really didn't care to respond b/c you know nothing of what you are speaking..way way off..and you can continue to guess at whatever you thought was going on..again if you have any question or want to get slapped when you see me politely introduce yourself and i will politely slap the shit out of you and we can go from there..take care
                              bryan

Comment

My my, what a charming and intelligent young man. I'm sure he will be a fabulous success in any future endeavors.

But if he goes around slapping people he'll end up in prison.

Comment

Working...
                                X