Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gm View Post
    Can we please stop rabbiting on about people having long seasons and that's why they underperform? Someone of BTE's class has pointed to this competition for the past two years. She has a great coach, who no doubt meticulously planned her training and competition schedule to be ready for Beijing. Sometimes an athlete just has a sub-par meet, for whatever reason.
    Ok, but she was clearly not at her best here. I don't know if the reason is the food, the heat or what else but she was clearly sub-par in both the hj (and here one can say she has technical problems) but her 200m was pedestrian (and her 800m was slow too) and these two are clearly signs of lack of fitness. I hope Ashton Eaton has a completely different competition.

Comment

And BTE wasn't one of the athletes with a "subpar" meet: even if not close to her PR (made under ideal invitational-meet conditions) 6554 is merely the fourth-best score of her life.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        Can we please stop rabbiting on about people having long seasons and that's why they underperform? Someone of BTE's class has pointed to this competition for the past two years. She has a great coach, who no doubt meticulously planned her training and competition schedule to be ready for Beijing. Sometimes an athlete just has a sub-par meet, for whatever reason.
        Yes to all of this. She had a bad meet and took silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke View Post
          Great to see Jess Ennis back winning, but overall the competition was quite disappointing.
          The top lacked a bit, but there was great depth. 15 women over 6200. The only other time that has happened is London 3 years ago. There would have been several best marks for place if KJT had trimmed 1/4 inch off her run up in her last jump...

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            The IAAF report on the Hept LJ says her jump was around 6.85 to 6.90.
            My dandy handy brand new The Big Gold Book says those marks are worth either 1122 or 1139 points.

With 1122 points added to her total, KJT has an "unofficial" score of 5705---ONE POINT less than Jessica.
            With 1139 points, KJT LEADS the Hept with 5722 points.

Official or unofficial, those are the "scores" I'm taking into the 800.
            I hope KJT runs an all-out 800.
            I'd love to see what would have been if the officials weren't so incompetent, and British Athletics weren't such damn wimps!!
            So how did KJT finish with the 6.85, 39m jav, 2:50-800 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
              So how did KJT finish with the 6.85, 39m jav, 2:50-800 ?
              I stand by what I said.
              The bad marks in the JT & 800 are easily explained.

Morale shot to pieces by LJ decision.
              The 800, she just wanted to finish the damn thing---she could've literally walked it---in 5-7 minutes!!
              If that jump had been allowed, you would have seen her 100% competitive in the last 2 events, and she would've won by as much as 100 points over Jessica!

Comment

Congrats to Ennis-Hill! To go from not even being sure that you're competing to winning gold is pretty darn impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                  I stand by what I said.
                  The bad marks in the JT & 800 are easily explained.

Morale shot to pieces by LJ decision.
                  The 800, she just wanted to finish the damn thing---she could've literally walked it---in 5-7 minutes!!
                  If that jump had been allowed, you would have seen her 100% competitive in the last 2 events, and she would've won by as much as 100 points over Jessica!
                  What kind of competitor gives up & gets demoralized by a failure? Barbara Nwaba didn't give up after falling in the 1st event. Anyone who blames the officials is just making excuses, as she had 3 opportunities to make a fair jump and her own country's officials acknowledged it was a foul. Your assertion that KJT would've won easily is disrespecting JEH and her well-earned victory.

Comment

Samurai_Runner, KJT and Nwaba's situations are completely different; KJT was going for gold, Nwaba for a top ten finish. KJT has the LJ in a few days; Nwaba does not.

KJT HAD to finish the heptathlon in order to enter the LJ, otherwise she cannot start that event. She obviously wasn't going to push herself in the last events.

In terms of 'what if', had she not fouled the LJ, she had a shot at gold, simple, and it would have been close, but most who follow the event predict KJT would have won. Her fouled LJ was between 6.8-6.9. She recently threw a JT PB of over 42m and the rumours from her camp was she was in 2:05 over 800m.

Now, I doubt she would have run 2:05 as all 800 marks were down, but I see her at least matching Jess in the JT and 800m, and thus that LJ was the key difference; it would have taken her total over 6700.

As it stands, she messed up, but it's clear she has the most natural talent of all the women and even carrying an injury all season, not high jumping since Prague indoors, only being in hard training for the last 4 weeks because of her quad injury, she could still have gone over 6700. An uninterrupted year could see her over 7000 in Rio.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post
                      KJT HAD to finish the heptathlon in order to enter the LJ, otherwise she cannot start that event.
                      From what I know, only a DNS in one event means you can't compete in another; a DNF does not.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post
                        Samurai_Runner, KJT and Nwaba's situations are completely different; KJT was going for gold, Nwaba for a top ten finish. KJT has the LJ in a few days; Nwaba does not.

KJT HAD to finish the heptathlon in order to enter the LJ, otherwise she cannot start that event. She obviously wasn't going to push herself in the last events.

In terms of 'what if', had she not fouled the LJ, she had a shot at gold, simple, and it would have been close, but most who follow the event predict KJT would have won. Her fouled LJ was between 6.8-6.9. She recently threw a JT PB of over 42m and the rumours from her camp was she was in 2:05 over 800m.

Now, I doubt she would have run 2:05 as all 800 marks were down, but I see her at least matching Jess in the JT and 800m, and thus that LJ was the key difference; it would have taken her total over 6700.

As it stands, she messed up, but it's clear she has the most natural talent of all the women and even carrying an injury all season, not high jumping since Prague indoors, only being in hard training for the last 4 weeks because of her quad injury, she could still have gone over 6700. An uninterrupted year could see her over 7000 in Rio.
                        THIS!!!!!

Thank you Gabriella2

Comment

Checking out the by-event leaders here:

100H: 1. Visser 1153; 2. Ennis-Hill 1138; 3. Theisen-Eaton 1127; 4. Mokhnyuk 1114; 5. Jones 1099; 6. Ikauniece-Admidiņa 1093; 7. Bougard 1083; 8. Šadeiko 1071; 9. Johnson-Thompson 1069; 10. Schäfer 1065.

HJ: 1. Ennis-Hill 2192; 2. Johnson-Thompson 2162; 3. Visser 2131; 4. Mokhnyuk 2130; 5. Theisen-Eaton 2105; 6. Bougard 2099; 7. Broersen 2097; 8. Jones 2077; 9. Rodríguez 2071; 10. Thiam 2057...15. Ikauniece-Admidiņa 2034.

SP: 1. Ennis-Hill 2968; 2. Thiam 2934; 3. Broersen 2930; 4. Mokhnyuk 2913; 5. Theisen-Eaton 2879; 6. Visser 2869; 7. Fodorova 2868; 8. Zsivoczky-Farkas 2857; 9. Johnson-Thompson 2854; 10. Day-Monroe 2854;… 20. Ikauniece-Admidiņa 2742.

200: 1. Ennis-Hill 4005; 2. Johnson-Thompson 3925; 3. Visser 3871; 4. Theisen-Eaton 3865; 5. Mokhnyuk 3837; 6. Thiam 3795; 7. Broersen 3780; 8. Bing 3763; 9. Schäfer 3751; 10. Day-Monroe 3736;… 13. Ikauniece-Admidiņa 3726.

LJ: 1. Ennis-Hill 4990; 2. Theisen-Eaton 4888; 3. Mokhnyuk 4847; 4. Rath 4779; 5. Visser 4764; 6. Broersen 4692; 7. Thiam 4688; 8. Ikauniece-Admidiņa 4675; 9. Zsivoczky- Farkas 4645; 10. Oeser 4609.

JT: 1. Ennis-Hill 5706; 2. Broersen 5620; 3. Theisen-Eaton 5612; 4. Ikauniece-Admidiņa 5606; 5. Thiam 5535; 6. Mokhnyuk 5494; 7. Vetter 5493; 8. Zsivoczky- Farkas 5492; 9. Rath 5471; 10. Visser 5433.

Ikauniece-Admidiņa got zero love during the discussion and ends up with the bronze. I'm not a hept numbers guy, but how many second days have been better than her 2790?

Second question: has anybody ever come from as far back as 13th after the first day of a major hept to make the podium?

Comment

Interesting.

Not sure of the answers . . . But the impressive second statistic is a function of how close the scores were: 11 athletes within 145 points! Making the podium while starting day two 145 points out of third surely has been done a number of times.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Ikauniece-Admidiņa got zero love during the discussion and ends up with the bronze. I'm not a hept numbers guy, but how many second days have been better than her 2790?
                              Ikauniece-Admidiņa second day was good but not that special. Her JT (53.67) was very good but her LJ (6.32) is poor compared with top heptathletes and the 800 (2:13.79) is also not that good.
                              JJK scored more than 3,000 points at least twice. Kluft, Turchinskaya,Shuaa, Barber, Neubert, Chernova, Shubenkova are all above 2900 second day. Of current days Heptatheletes both Nana-Djimou and JEH scored higher than 2790.

Comment

Working...
                              X