Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2015 WC mPV: Shawn Barber (Can) 19-4¼ (5.90)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by CKuykendall View Post
    Barber's dad is from Ontario, and Barber spent a good portion of his youth there according to Wikipedia. However, he was born in Las Cruces. So, I'm wondering (and this may instead be a question for the Historical forum): Has there previously been an Olympic or World Championships gold medalist in track & field who was from or born in New Mexico?
    Shelia Burrell (4th in the '04 kept) is a contender.

As is Jarrin Solomon (Trinidad), bronze in the men's 4x4 in London

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    height progressions, far as I know, are determined well in advance. But I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Alan Shank
    replied
    When did they determine the height progression for the men? Before the meet, or after they knew there were sixteen in the final?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    I can't think of any benefits in competing for USA, only increased risk of not getting through our tough Championships if he has a bad day which is exactly what happened to him at USA Juniors 3 years ago and the reason he went to Canada in the first place...

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    the transfer rule between nations for dual citizens, I believe, is 3 years…. can be reduced if both members agree. Wonder how Canada would feel about such a waiver?
    They got a freebie with him, since he was born and raised in the USA. If he wants to go 'home', they should be happy for this moment and let him go. On the same subject, Mondo, come home!!

BTW, up close he in no way is an imposing specimen like Bubka, but then again, neither is RLaV. But what Barber is, is highly intelligent, knowledgeable and motivated. He can only get better. He was the underdog here, not in Rio.
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-25-2015, 01:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    the transfer rule between nations for dual citizens, I believe, is 3 years…. can be reduced if both members agree. Wonder how Canada would feel about such a waiver?

Leave a comment:

• Pakilo
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    I haven't had a chance to look at the whole progression, but someone on my site indicated the later heights would be 4.60, 4.70, 4.80, then 5. Definitely less aggressive than the men.
    wow, just a little bit less aggressive. Would be good to have 4.75 between.

Leave a comment:

• tm71
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    We've been through this before. That's exactly the way HE explained it to me: he's obligated to compete for Canada until his contract is up. He might have to sit out a year (2018?) to wear the American uniform.
    Thanks for explaining but I doubt he would want to switch to the us and have to go thru us trials (I mean he could be a 6m jumper and NH at the us selection meet and not make the team) when he can be the defacto pick in Canada.

Leave a comment:

• user4
    replied
    Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
    You can get your degree any time...you pass up these contracts now and they may never come back...one pulled hamstring and you can kiss that money good bye..
    good point, but you had better make sure that the contract is worth more than the education else it is a losing deal.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    I guess that I am the only person who loved the height progression.
    Not at all. I always want an aggressive progression - separates the real deals from the posers.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    That's not how it works. He can switch back any time, but he would be ineligible to compete in the major championships for, I think, several years, which would obviously be unwise...
    We've been through this before. That's exactly the way HE explained it to me: he's obligated to compete for Canada until his contract is up. He might have to sit out a year (2018?) to wear the American uniform.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by Pakilo View Post

I hope they won't repeat some similar height progression in the women's final. They let 14 women into the final so it's possible they decide to speed things up again.
    I haven't had a chance to look at the whole progression, but someone on my site indicated the later heights would be 4.60, 4.70, 4.80, then 5. Definitely less aggressive than the men.

Leave a comment:

• Pakilo
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell View Post
    First of all, I'm pretty sure he would have skipped 5.85 even if it was part of the progression. He just doesn't do 5 cm increments at this sort of heights. And secondly, was any of his attempts at 5.90 good enough to clear 5.85?
    If we look at it that way his 5.80 attempt was good enough to clear 6.00... Maybe he would have skipped 5.85 but I'm saying he should have started earlier than 5.80 regardless of his 5.80 clearance. I believe the final result would have been better for him . Even if 5.65 my be early for him he has a history of no heights.

I hope they won't repeat some similar height progression in the women's final. They let 14 women into the final so it's possible they decide to speed things up again.
    Last edited by Pakilo; 08-24-2015, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    I guess that I am the only person who loved the height progression. It still took well over 2 hours, despite the minimal number of heights. It seemed like it was taking them FOREVER to get the bar set between jumps, I'll have to ask from people who were there what the deal was.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    I've heard from multiple sources that Barber turned pro earlier this summer, signing with Paul Doyle/Jeff Hartwig/Nike, same as Sandi Morris. So between prize money and bonuses from Nike and Athletics Canada, I'm sure that gold was worth over $100,000 in cash, plus prize money he earned earlier this summer, plus prize money he'll earn later this summer, plus the salary he'll start getting from Nike, plus the gold means Nike will pay him way more next year...

I'm sure he is now making more money than any other vaulter in the world except Lavillenie. Pole Vault is not a very lucrative event, but being young and jumping high at just the right time (coming into an Olympic year) is about as good as you're going to get, short of breaking world records.

I assume he will return to school, paying out of pocket, and keep training with his coach Dennis Mitchell. Akron doesn't get many athletes of this caliber, I'm sure they'll bend over backwards to accommodate him, as much as they can within NCAA rules.

Amazing that he was able to win worlds after SUCH a long season! He's probably jumped in twice as many meets as any of the other medalists this year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X