Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2015 WC mPV: Shawn Barber (Can) 19-4¼ (5.90)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    I like Barber for silver, gold if Lavillenie has a bad meet.
    Called it...

Comment

^^ That you did!

Comment

Originally posted by Pakilo View Post
        It usually distroys the real competition and it also could end with more than three medalists, I hope not this time..
        Well, five medalists, it could have been worse.
        I detest those who came up with this height progression. I somehow survived 5.65-5.80 but when Barber and Holzdeppe had to go for 6.00 after 5.90 instead of 5.95 I couldn't take it.

I wouldn't call this a bad day for Renaud, just his bad tactic . Opening at 5.80 when the next height is not 5.85 is pretty overconfident.

Comment

I wouldn't call this a bad day for Renaud, just his bad tactic . Opening at 5.80 when the next height is not 5.85 is pretty overconfident.
          But he was all right at 5.80. Vaulting at 5.85 wouldn't have improved his situation in the least.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Barber's dad is from Ontario, and Barber spent a good portion of his youth there according to Wikipedia. However, he was born in Las Cruces. So, I'm wondering (and this may instead be a question for the Historical forum): Has there previously been an Olympic or World Championships gold medalist in track & field who was from or born in New Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
              But he was all right at 5.80. Vaulting at 5.85 wouldn't have improved his situation in the least.
              He was, but only one attempt during the competition before 5.90 is not enough to get certain things right.

Comment

He was, but only one attempt during the competition before 5.90 is not enough to get certain things right.
                Tough to make adjustments when you don't vault.

Comment

Originally posted by CKuykendall View Post
                  Barber's dad is from Ontario, and Barber spent a good portion of his youth there according to Wikipedia. However, he was born in Las Cruces. So, I'm wondering (and this may instead be a question for the Historical forum): Has there previously been an Olympic or World Championships gold medalist in track & field who was from or born in New Mexico?
                  George Young was only a SC bronze medalist, but he was born in Roswell.

Comment

This was la villenie's to win and like in 2011 and 2013 he choked ! I mean he is a 20 ft vaulter and none of the other vaulters are even close to that!

Comment

As I've noted here before, I had occasion to have a nice discussion with young Mr. Barber at the NCAA Regional meet last May. Great kid! Plus, I will take full credit for having him switch allegiance back to his real home country when his current contract with Canada is up in (I believe) 3 years. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        As I've noted here before, I had occasion to have a nice discussion with young Mr. Barber at the NCAA Regional meet last May. Great kid! Plus, I will take full credit for having him switch allegiance back to his real home country when his current contract with Canada is up in (I believe) 3 years. ;-)
                        What do u mean contract for three years ? He only committed for three years ?

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                          George Young was only a SC bronze medalist, but he was born in Roswell.
                          yeah, but doesn't that make him an alien?

Comment

Originally posted by tm71 View Post
                            This was la villenie's to win and like in 2011 and 2013 he choked ! I mean he is a 20 ft vaulter and none of the other vaulters are even close to that!
                            But Lavillenie does have an Olympic gold medal so his choking is a bit selective.

As for Mr. Barber leaving Akron, would it really be worth leaving the college ranks? $60k is a lot of money, but a year of college is also pretty valuable. I am guessing that room/board/tuition is close to that then add the value of what he is getting from the University for being an athlete in terms of training, coaching, facilities, etc. It isn't like he'd be off to get an NFL or NBA multi million dollar contract. I am pretty sure the shoe companies aren't going to be showering him with riches either.

Comment

It's not just the initial $60K. The shoe companies may not "shower him with riches" but they'll definitely make it worth his while.

There's also a handful of meets post-Beijing in which he has a chance to make some significant coin.

Tack on next year's indoor season, and before the school year is out he would be way ahead on the old balance sheet.

Comment

Coincidentally, see De Grasse story just posted to front page, which says he was offered a 7-figure shoe deal…. before he even got to Beijing.

It is the start of the silly season (aka, the runup to an Olympic Games, when the shoe companies frequently trip all over themselves offering make-no-sense numbers just to be sure not to miss anybody of import)

Comment

Working...
                                X