Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2015 WC mPV: Shawn Barber (Can) 19-4¼ (5.90)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Shank
    replied
    Originally posted by tm71 View Post
    This was la villenie's to win and like in 2011 and 2013 he choked ! I mean he is a 20 ft vaulter and none of the other vaulters are even close to that!
    In 2011, he was leading after 5.85 with a clean card. Wojciechowski missed at 5.85 then passed to 5.90 and missed again. Lavillenie and Borges each missed twice, but Wojciechowski cleared on his last attempt (2nd at 5.90). Borges cleared third time, but Lavillenie did not.

In 2012, he had a miss at 5.91, while Otto and Holzdeppe cleared. He then passed to 5.97 and missed there once before clearing on his last-gasp attempt. Otto had two missed then passed to 6.02, where he missed. So, that was a big comethrough.

In Moscow, they were going up by 7 cm after 5.75. Lavillenie had a miss at 5.65, another at 5.82, whereas Holzdeppe was perfect, clearing 5.89 on first try. Lavillenie had two misses, but then cleared on third, so you might call that a clutch jump. Neither could clear 5.96.

Barber was jumping ahead of Lavillenie today (yesterday? I am so confused by the time change that I hardly know what day it is where.) and cleared 5.90 first time, putting big pressure on Lavillenie. At 5.80, his clearance was massive, way over the bar and with his height in the right place, good for 6 meters. So what happened?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Leave a comment:

• 1runner1
    replied
    You can get your degree any time...you pass up these contracts now and they may never come back...one pulled hamstring and you can kiss that money good bye. The agents will ask what can you do for me now.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Pakilo View Post
    He was, but only one attempt during the competition before 5.90 is not enough to get certain things right.
    First of all, I'm pretty sure he would have skipped 5.85 even if it was part of the progression. He just doesn't do 5 cm increments at this sort of heights. And secondly, was any of his attempts at 5.90 good enough to clear 5.85?

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    What do u mean contract for three years ? He only committed for three years ?
    What contract are you talking about?

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    As I've noted here before, I had occasion to have a nice discussion with young Mr. Barber at the NCAA Regional meet last May. Great kid! Plus, I will take full credit for having him switch allegiance back to his real home country when his current contract with Canada is up in (I believe) 3 years. ;-)
    That's not how it works. He can switch back any time, but he would be ineligible to compete in the major championships for, I think, several years, which would obviously be unwise...

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    Coincidentally, see De Grasse story just posted to front page, which says he was offered a 7-figure shoe deal…. before he even got to Beijing.

It is the start of the silly season (aka, the runup to an Olympic Games, when the shoe companies frequently trip all over themselves offering make-no-sense numbers just to be sure not to miss anybody of import)
    He needs to build up the self-promotion. Instead of the "lightning bolt" maybe he can make it look like he's mowing the lawn.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Good for Mr. De Grasse and Mr. Barber and tough luck for their schools.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Coincidentally, see De Grasse story just posted to front page, which says he was offered a 7-figure shoe deal…. before he even got to Beijing.

It is the start of the silly season (aka, the runup to an Olympic Games, when the shoe companies frequently trip all over themselves offering make-no-sense numbers just to be sure not to miss anybody of import)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    It's not just the initial $60K. The shoe companies may not "shower him with riches" but they'll definitely make it worth his while.

There's also a handful of meets post-Beijing in which he has a chance to make some significant coin.

Tack on next year's indoor season, and before the school year is out he would be way ahead on the old balance sheet.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    This was la villenie's to win and like in 2011 and 2013 he choked ! I mean he is a 20 ft vaulter and none of the other vaulters are even close to that!
    But Lavillenie does have an Olympic gold medal so his choking is a bit selective.

As for Mr. Barber leaving Akron, would it really be worth leaving the college ranks? $60k is a lot of money, but a year of college is also pretty valuable. I am guessing that room/board/tuition is close to that then add the value of what he is getting from the University for being an athlete in terms of training, coaching, facilities, etc. It isn't like he'd be off to get an NFL or NBA multi million dollar contract. I am pretty sure the shoe companies aren't going to be showering him with riches either.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    George Young was only a SC bronze medalist, but he was born in Roswell.
    yeah, but doesn't that make him an alien?

Leave a comment:

• tm71
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    As I've noted here before, I had occasion to have a nice discussion with young Mr. Barber at the NCAA Regional meet last May. Great kid! Plus, I will take full credit for having him switch allegiance back to his real home country when his current contract with Canada is up in (I believe) 3 years. ;-)
    What do u mean contract for three years ? He only committed for three years ?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tm71
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by CKuykendall View Post
    Barber's dad is from Ontario, and Barber spent a good portion of his youth there according to Wikipedia. However, he was born in Las Cruces. So, I'm wondering (and this may instead be a question for the Historical forum): Has there previously been an Olympic or World Championships gold medalist in track & field who was from or born in New Mexico?
    George Young was only a SC bronze medalist, but he was born in Roswell.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X