Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2015 WC mPV: Shawn Barber (Can) 19-4¼ (5.90)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    I haven't had a chance to look at the whole progression, but someone on my site indicated the later heights would be 4.60, 4.70, 4.80, then 5. Definitely less aggressive than the men.
    wow, just a little bit less aggressive. Would be good to have 4.75 between.

Comment

the transfer rule between nations for dual citizens, I believe, is 3 years…. can be reduced if both members agree. Wonder how Canada would feel about such a waiver?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        the transfer rule between nations for dual citizens, I believe, is 3 years…. can be reduced if both members agree. Wonder how Canada would feel about such a waiver?
        They got a freebie with him, since he was born and raised in the USA. If he wants to go 'home', they should be happy for this moment and let him go. On the same subject, Mondo, come home!!

BTW, up close he in no way is an imposing specimen like Bubka, but then again, neither is RLaV. But what Barber is, is highly intelligent, knowledgeable and motivated. He can only get better. He was the underdog here, not in Rio.
        Last edited by Atticus; 08-25-2015, 01:54 AM.

Comment

I can't think of any benefits in competing for USA, only increased risk of not getting through our tough Championships if he has a bad day which is exactly what happened to him at USA Juniors 3 years ago and the reason he went to Canada in the first place...

Comment

When did they determine the height progression for the men? Before the meet, or after they knew there were sixteen in the final?
            Cheers,
            Alan Shank

Comment

height progressions, far as I know, are determined well in advance. But I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by CKuykendall View Post
                Barber's dad is from Ontario, and Barber spent a good portion of his youth there according to Wikipedia. However, he was born in Las Cruces. So, I'm wondering (and this may instead be a question for the Historical forum): Has there previously been an Olympic or World Championships gold medalist in track & field who was from or born in New Mexico?
                Shelia Burrell (4th in the '04 kept) is a contender.

As is Jarrin Solomon (Trinidad), bronze in the men's 4x4 in London

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                  I like Barber for silver, gold if Lavillenie has a bad meet.
                  Worth repeating this post

Comment

Just don't ask me to make any predictions about the women!

Comment

I looked on the IAAF site for the lineup, but I did not see the progression of heights. Kiriakopoulou is last in the order, the "cat-bird seat".
                      Cheers,
                      Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                        I looked on the IAAF site for the lineup, but I did not see the progression of heights.
                        It's right here:
                        http://media.aws.iaaf.org/competitio...?v=-1753443790
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                          OK, in a .pdf, not on the page itself; didn't see it.
                          Thanks.
                          It's pretty tough. Many medals have been won at 4.75 (all of Feofanova's, I think), but they're skipping it.
                          Cheers,
                          Alan Shank

Comment

I felt they spoiled the final in 2009 in this way. 4.65 was immediately followed by 4.75, which only one vaulter cleared. It could have been a much better competition had they been allowed to try at 4.70.
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I agree about the progression, I thought for the men's competition it was due to 16 starters but for 14 women it's still the same sharp rise. It will be important to hit 4.70 with the first attempt, this might be enough to snatch a shared bronze medal like in the men's competition.

Comment

A friend sent me this time-lapse photo of Barber. If you look at his second position, you can see what a good technician he is.

https://web.mail.comcast.net/service...=652182&part=2

Comment

Working...
                                X