Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2015 WC mPV: Shawn Barber (Can) 19-4¼ (5.90)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Barber just announced via Twitter that he has signed with Nike.
    If you should happen across any of the particulars of said contract, or any concomitant endorsement contracts, you can slide those bad boys by us here. I am fascinated by this.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    where's my feather?

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Barber just announced via Twitter that he has signed with Nike.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    Another potential thing for the Barber ledger sheet.

What are the NCAA rules regarding national funding from your federation? Is that a revenue source that Barber doesn't currently get that comes on line if he goes pro?
    I don't think you can get any funding above actual expenses. I think he can get all of his travel and such paid for, but not $$ in his pocket.

But foreign athletes have had ways of circumventing these rules for a long time, the NCAA and its member institutions have almost zero ability to enforce what happens in Europe. I'm sure some arrangements were made with Athletics Canada to make sure Shawn gets his when he goes pro...

Leave a comment:

• tamabi
    replied
    Originally posted by Per Andersen View Post
    I don't think he was concerned about other medals than the Gold. He just needed to make a bar. With his confidence he probably could not see missing a third time on 5.90. Maybe, in his mind it made no difference if he cleared 5.90 or 6m at that stage. But 5.90 is lower and with his expected clearance - 3 attempts at 6m instead of just one.
    Tbh, I don't think anyone really expected him to fail at 5.90, esp. given how much height he had during his 5.80 vault and in each of his failed attempts (height was never the problem...)

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Originally posted by tamabi View Post
    My question is: why didn't Lavillenie pass his last attempt at 5.90 and take a shot at the 6m bar? I know it's very risky, but he was gonna get the bronze anyway, and he knew he was the only one who had a chance of getting over 6m.
    I don't think he was concerned about other medals than the Gold. He just needed to make a bar. With his confidence he probably could not see missing a third time on 5.90. Maybe, in his mind it made no difference if he cleared 5.90 or 6m at that stage. But 5.90 is lower and with his expected clearance - 3 attempts at 6m instead of just one.

Leave a comment:

• tamabi
    replied
    My question is: why didn't Lavillenie pass his last attempt at 5.90 and take a shot at the 6m bar? I know it's very risky, but he was gonna get the bronze anyway, and he knew he was the only one who had a chance of getting over 6m.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Another potential thing for the Barber ledger sheet.

What are the NCAA rules regarding national funding from your federation? Is that a revenue source that Barber doesn't currently get that comes on line if he goes pro?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Here is the picture Atticus mentioned earlier: https://twitter.com/pjvazel/status/636609451391365120
    I redraw your attention to the 2nd image, which I consider the ne plus ultra example of how to get your center of gravity prepared to go really high.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Here is the picture Atticus mentioned earlier: https://twitter.com/pjvazel/status/636609451391365120

Leave a comment:

• rsb3
    replied
    But if he became a USA citizen, he wouldn't be able to handle Trials/Pan-Am Games, etc., and still win at Worlds ... jk...

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave View Post
    Now, if they could just fix that citizenship glitch.....
    Oh, good call!
    Nike (/adidas/whatevs) addends a little codicil at the end of the contract: MUST be on American team within 3 years!

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I would LOVE for him to stay in the NCAA, but let's face it, the $$$ is there now and he can get his sponsor to spring for college costs (pretty standard, as I understand it), so he can stay at Akron.
    I would love to know the particulars of his contract(s) as he turns pro. I guess that stays confidential, because every contract is individualized.
    Now, if they could just fix that citizenship glitch.....

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    It's not just the initial $60K. The shoe companies may not "shower him with riches" but they'll definitely make it worth his while.
    There's also a handful of meets post-Beijing in which he has a chance to make some significant coin.
    Tack on next year's indoor season, and before the school year is out he would be way ahead on the old balance sheet.
    I would LOVE for him to stay in the NCAA, but let's face it, the $$$ is there now and he can get his sponsor to spring for college costs (pretty standard, as I understand it), so he can stay at Akron.
    I would love to know the particulars of his contract(s) as he turns pro. I guess that stays confidential, because every contract is individualized.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    OK, Becca, I just e-mailed it to you at your PVP address. YOU figure out how to link it here!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X