X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post
    gracious tweet from the classy Oliver

David Oliver ‏@doliversub13 1m1 minute ago

Wasnt my day out there, doomed from the fourth step. Hats off to Sergey, Hansel and major congrats to Aries for executing extremely well!
    Nice to see great Sportsmanship from Oliver. We need to see more of it in competition. After all it's not war...

Comment

• I was rooting for Oliver, and this is the reason why. The guy is all class all the time. Another reason to be proud to be an American.

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post
        I was rooting for Oliver, and this is the reason why. The guy is all class all the time. Another reason to be proud to be an American.
        You would think Oliver won right after the race. Had the biggest smile ever when he walked over to congratulate Shubey.

Comment

I was rooting for Oliver, and this is the reason why. The guy is all class all the time. Another reason to be proud to be an American.
          He said something similar to Lewis Johnson on USN. Not every one can be as classy as DO.
          Last edited by tm71; 08-28-2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
            You would think Oliver won right after the race. Had the biggest smile ever when he walked over to congratulate Shubey.
            I dont know what it is but the 110H guys but they seem to be the cream of the crop in every dimension of athleticism and sportsmanship.

Comment

• Classy interview by Oliver. Good sportsmanship.

Comment

• Originally posted by betterthanb4 View Post
                When was the last time a Russian man won the hurdles?.... Great run! Congrats!
                Very happy for Parchment, coming back from injury. Merritt what can I say, just so inspirational that he's competing here, and to go home with a medal before having major surgery. Wow!
                Not the winner, but Mikhailov (?) was in the hunt in the 1960s. Ran against Davenport - one of the all-time greats.

Comment

• Originally posted by catson52 View Post
                  Not the winner, but Mikhailov (?) was in the hunt in the 1960s. Ran against Davenport - one of the all-time greats.
                  Thank you.

Comment

• I am also very happy for the Russian (and it's NOT because I picked him to medal). He has the best 'snap-down' out there right now - a skill I deem critical to hurdle success. First one back to the track is the first one running again!

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
                      Congrats to Shubey, finally!

He always had it and was always around, was just a matter of getting it right. Great for Parchment to get silver after not making it to Moscow (he was the early favourite leading up to WC that year) and gutsy performance by Merritt. Oliver hit the first hurdle and was done.

Great race.
                      Hansle fell in Moscow.

Comment

I dont know what it is but the 110H guys but they seem to be the cream of the crop in every dimension of athleticism and sportsmanship.
                        Definitely. As athletes they are essentially the one event decathletes in the sense that they can do so many athletic movements well. Speed (primarily acceleration) but also the frequency they perform at in races. Strength and power from the start and their hurdle takeoffs (some top hurdlers can put out jumping and bounding performances similar to good horizontal jumpers). Skill-the entire action but also the reaction to being able to make lots of subtle, high speed adjustments in terms of kinesthetic awareness and coordinate lower body and upper body actions. Suppleness-flexibility, mobiity to properly hit the good layout position. Stamina-rhythm endurance:essentially speed endurance for the sprint hurdles.

I think the fact that over the years all of these guys have numerous scars all over their knees and ankle mostly and that have all face-planted, kissed pavement, been cut, scraped etc. makes one more humble but they keep coming back for more. I think the shared experience of all of those fall and injuries they have dealt with has a humbling affect and most of these guys do seem to demonstrate good sportsmanship. There seems to be less animosity in the hurdles, an event where it seems the best don't duck each other.
                        Last edited by cladthin; 08-28-2015, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• I looked at the video and saw what Oliver tweeted -- his fourth step was off to the side and as a result he was slow to the first hurdle, hammered it slowing his acceleration further and was history with no chance to get the speed necessary for a clean race. Not as bad as Bolt's misstep in the 100 semi but the hurdles impose a much higher cost for an early error.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                            Oliver tweeted -- his fourth step was off to the side and as a result he was slow to the first hurdle, hammered it slowing his acceleration further and was history with no chance to get the speed necessary for a clean race.
                            I'm betting that was almost wholly attributable to - nerves. Just shows you the ENORMOUS pressure on even grizzled vets. OTOH, Shubenkov looks very focused over the hurdles.

Comment

• These guys are all kind of on the big side too. .I dont see one Allen Johnson among them.

Comment

• Oliver's real problem was that he was knocked off balance (accidentally) when Parchment's right arm caught Oliver's left between hurdle 1 and 2

Back in the '64 Olympic Games Mikhailov and Davenport ran against each other in the semi-finals. Mikhailov won the race and Davenport (injured) place 7th, and Mikhailov then won the bronze medal - so he was quite good (though nothing like as good as Davenport)

There was a touch of class about Davenport. In 1967 Davenport (and Richmond Flowers) ran for the USA against Britain at the White City. Britain's hurdlers were Alan Pascoe and longtime tv commentator Stuart Story. Story false started twice, and as he was being ejected Davenport told the starter that he'd twitched causing the false start. Storey was reinstated thanks to WD, who went on to run 13.7 - which on the graveyard track at the White City was worth about 13.3 on a good US track and with US timing.

Comment

Working...
                                X