Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe Shubenkov is now the first Caucasian member of the super-elite sub-13 club.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhymans View Post
      davenport . . . went on to run 13.7 - which . . . was worth about 13.3 . . . with us timing.
      slam! ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by cladthin View Post
        Definitely. As athletes they are essentially the one event decathletes in the sense that they can do so many athletic movements well. Speed (primarily acceleration) but also the frequency they perform at in races. Strength and power from the start and their hurdle takeoffs (some top hurdlers can put out jumping and bounding performances similar to good horizontal jumpers). Skill-the entire action but also the reaction to being able to make lots of subtle, high speed adjustments in terms of kinesthetic awareness and coordinate lower body and upper body actions. Suppleness-flexibility, mobiity to properly hit the good layout position. Stamina-rhythm endurance:essentially speed endurance for the sprint hurdles.

I think the fact that over the years all of these guys have numerous scars all over their knees and ankle mostly and that have all face-planted, kissed pavement, been cut, scraped etc. makes one more humble but they keep coming back for more. I think the shared experience of all of those fall and injuries they have dealt with has a humbling affect and most of these guys do seem to demonstrate good sportsmanship. There seems to be less animosity in the hurdles, an event where it seems the best don't duck each other.

You sir are climbing the list of great posters, this ranks up there with some of Atticus's best.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhymans View Post
          Oliver's real problem was that he was knocked off balance (accidentally) when Parchment's right arm caught Oliver's left between hurdle 1 and 2

Back in the '64 Olympic Games Mikhailov and Davenport ran against each other in the semi-finals. Mikhailov won the race and Davenport (injured) place 7th, and Mikhailov then won the bronze medal - so he was quite good (though nothing like as good as Davenport)

There was a touch of class about Davenport. In 1967 Davenport (and Richmond Flowers) ran for the USA against Britain at the White City. Britain's hurdlers were Alan Pascoe and longtime tv commentator Stuart Story. Story false started twice, and as he was being ejected Davenport told the starter that he'd twitched causing the false start. Storey was reinstated thanks to WD, who went on to run 13.7 - which on the graveyard track at the White City was worth about 13.3 on a good US track and with US timing.
          Thanks for the posting about a great athlete.

Comment

• I have watched the race a few times now, and someone might have mentioned it already but Oliver got whacked on the wrist by that dasterdly and cunning Jamaican to his left. I dont know what that Jamaicans name is but it was the most diabolical move of the century.

Oliver ever the gracious and gentlemanly sportsman never even mentioned it!

Nothing quite like the WC to bring out the best in all of us !!

ps : does the Russian have a recent 100m PR ?
            Last edited by user4; 08-28-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post
              I have watched the race a few times now, and someone might have mentioned it already but Oliver got whacked on the wrist by that dasterdly and cunning Jamaican to his left. I dont know what that Jamaicans name is but it was the most diabolical move of the century.

Oliver ever the gracious and gentlemanly sportsman never even mentioned it!

Nothing quite like the WC to bring out the best in all of us !!

ps : does the Russian have a recent 100m PR ?
              'dastardly and cunning' 'diabolical' ?

Comment

• Well at least that's one gold medal for the ruskies

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                  gracious tweet from the classy Oliver

David Oliver ‏@doliversub13 1m1 minute ago

Wasnt my day out there, doomed from the fourth step. Hats off to Sergey, Hansel and major congrats to Aries for executing extremely well!
                  Yeah on the Universal Sports video of the race, you see exactly that happening on the replay. The fourth step threw him off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grasshopper View Post
                    I believe Shubenkov is now the first Caucasian member of the super-elite sub-13 club.
                    White power. Lol.

Comment

• Seriously though, inadvertent contact can ruin a guys chances . There has to be a way to use the lanes in a way to avoid it. These big meet 110races are too important.

Comment

• still can't get over robles costing liu a gold from years ago… that was very blatant even if unintentional as robles claimed.

Comment

• Originally posted by uakari View Post
                          still can't get over robles costing liu a gold from years ago… that was very blatant even if unintentional as robles claimed.
                          Only a blithering idiot could watch the Robles wack and see it as unintentional. This one by Parchment on Oliver was clearly unintentional.

Originally posted by rats123 View Post
                          Well at least that's one gold medal for the ruskies
                          If I had to pick an event to get gold for my country the 110H would certainly be in the top 3. Id say this gold is worth 30 race walking medals. .. but hey Im not a Russian.
                          Last edited by user4; 08-29-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• robles' wasn't even a whack technically, replays showed what looked more like a desperate grab.

Comment

• Our thought and our prayers are now with Aries Merritt.

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post
                                Only a blithering idiot could watch the Robles wack and see it as unintentional.
                                Blither-blither.

I have now been hurdling for 50+ year (!!) and have hit people and have been hit. This is in no way intentional.

http://images.china.cn/attachement/j...0fc67d3301.jpg

Arms swing. S*** happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X