Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zues2014 View Post
    Parchment will be targeting gold for next year.
    Interesting and illuminating. I recently heard he was considering sitting out Rio and that he did not want to target gold.
    Last edited by cladthin; 08-31-2015, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cladthin View Post
      Interesting and illuminating. I recently heard he was considering sitting out Rio and that he did not want to target gold.
      I like your style, you go where even user4 fears to tread. Regarding Devon Allen , stick a fork in em ... He's done.

Comment

• from the front page, surgery went well for aries merritt:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/0...-championships

Comment

• Originally posted by uakari View Post
          from the front page, surgery went well for aries merritt:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/0...-championships
          So is there an adjustment factor for the 100 hurdles in regards to kidney function?!!!

Seriously, this is great news and a fantastic epilogue to the WC.

Comment

If that "no running under protest in international comp." has not been explained to the athletes that's bad management/coaching on the part of the U.S. team.

We should not allow that here either if you can't do it internationally.
            It's simply not true that running under protest isn't allowed. I don't know why the commentators were saying that. Check 146.4.(a):

if an athlete makes an immediate oral protest against having been charged with a false start, a Track Referee may, if he is in any doubt, allow the athlete to compete under protest in order to preserve the rights of all concerned. Competing under protest shall not be allowed if the false start was detected by an IAAF approved false start control apparatus, unless for any reason the Referee determines that the information provided by the apparatus is obviously inaccurate.
            Obviously the false start apparatus telling the starter that Ronnie Ash had a negative reaction time, but Referee, if he'd watched the start and replays (even on the big screen), would have reason to doubt the accuracy of the false start apparatus, therefore the Referee could allow the athlete to run under protest. Also, I don't believe he false started. 162.7:

Note (i): Any motion by an athlete that does not include or result in the athlete’s foot / feet losing contact with the foot plate(s) of the starting blocks, or the athlete’s hand / hands losing contact with the ground, shall not be considered to be the commencement of his start. Such instances may, if applicable, be subject to a disciplinary warning or disqualification.
            He clearly didn't commence his start early by the video replays, however...

Note (iii):When an IAAF approved false start control apparatus is in operation, the evidence of this equipment shall normally be accepted as conclusive by the Starter.
            Since there was a false start control apparatus, the Referee typically accepts a flinch as a false start, despite 162.7. In this technology age, the Referee should also be using video replays to confirm a false start, since a flinch itself is not a false start if the athlete does not commence his/her start, but the false start apparatus will record it as a false start, a la Jon Drummond and others.

Something to take to the IAAF Technical Committee I think.

Comment

Elle-Oh-Elle!

Comment

• Originally posted by rainy.here View Post
                It's simply not true that running under protest isn't allowed. I don't know why the commentators were saying that. Check 146.4.(a):

Obviously the false start apparatus telling the starter that Ronnie Ash had a negative reaction time, but Referee, if he'd watched the start and replays (even on the big screen), would have reason to doubt the accuracy of the false start apparatus, therefore the Referee could allow the athlete to run under protest. Also, I don't believe he false started. 162.7:

He clearly didn't commence his start early by the video replays, however...

Since there was a false start control apparatus, the Referee typically accepts a flinch as a false start, despite 162.7. In this technology age, the Referee should also be using video replays to confirm a false start, since a flinch itself is not a false start if the athlete does not commence his/her start, but the false start apparatus will record it as a false start, a la Jon Drummond and others.

Something to take to the IAAF Technical Committee I think.
                It is what the commentators said though I don't recall specifically who. Why then was he not allowed to run? I say that not only watching his actions but having read later that Ash was attempting to run under protest but not permitted to do so. Of course all of that could be incorrect. So simply a misapplication of the rules?
                Last edited by cladthin; 09-02-2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

It is what the commentators said though I don't recall specifically who. Why then was he not allowed to run? I say that not only watching his actions but having read later that Ash was attempting to run under protest but not permitted to so. Of course all of that could be incorrect. So simply a misapplication of the rules?
                  Maybe lonewolf, if he's still around, could answer that. I'm not sure what guidelines/expectations the officiating crew is given or has. I'm a coach, not an official, so while I know the rulebook very well, I'm not all that familiar with the application of rules from the officiating side, where judgement is called into play. The Ref here is in a tight spot and has to make a decision quickly, so possibly they rely on the false start apparatus rather than trust what they saw.

The detection system is almost certainly more reliable than the naked eye, but is prone to give false positives (like a flinch), rather than false negatives that the naked eye will give (where the officials don't see the false start or aren't confident enough to call it back).

I strongly feel that the false start detection at high level meets should add video-replay confirmation in the event of an oral protest. I don't feel this would significantly slow the meet, as athletes who broke early tend to know it, and won't bother protesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                    Elle-Oh-Elle!
                    A disturbing prospect for one of our resident fanboys-Parchment not going to Rio.
                    Last edited by cladthin; 09-02-2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rainy.here View Post
                      Maybe lonewolf, if he's still around
                      Bite your tongue! ;-)

Comment

You're killing me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Bite your tongue! ;-)
                          Fair enough. He's around, but he might not be wading through each of the 20-50 page WC threads.

Comment

Working...
                          X