Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was one of the most exciting competitions in the entire WC. Strange that very few here seem to have noticed that. Molitor getting gold on the last throw of the competition, when even the German announcers had conceded gold to Lyu. And there were several lead changes before that as well.

Comment

Women's throws dont get enough respect.

Comment

Before she legally has to change her name: It's KathArina, they spelled it wrong in Beijing and it spread, it's even spelled wrong on her gold medal.

Comment

had me going there…. knowing that her name was Katharina, I thought you were suggesting she had adopted a new-age spelling of KathArina!

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            had me going there…. knowing that her name was Katharina, I thought you were suggesting she had adopted a new-age spelling of KathArina!
            No, it's Katha3ina; the '3' is silent, you see.

Lyu's name is spelled "Lu" in the Zurich lineup; I've seen it spelled "Lu" elsewhere, too.
            Cheers,
            Alan Shank

Comment

In all Wikipedia articles, it is spelled Lü (I hope u-umlaut shows properly on your screen).

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                In all Wikipedia articles, it is spelled Lü (I hope u-umlaut shows properly on your screen).
                Transliteration is always problematic.
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank

Comment

I believe the use of the umlauted u is an artifact from the old Wade-Giles transliteration system and is not commonly used with the modern Pinyin (which is what led us westerners to switch from Peking to Beijing, etc.)

Comment

According to Wikipedia's article on pinyin:

ü is written as u when there is no ambiguity (such as ju, qu, and xu), but written as ü when there are corresponding u syllables (such as lü and nü)

If we trust this, Lü is correct pinyin.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                      No, it's Katha3ina; the '3' is silent, you see.
                      There's a 3 in Katharina? If you pronounce it like cutterina you're very close to the correct German pronunciation.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                        which is what led us westerners to switch from Peking to Beijing, etc.)
                        I often wondered about that. Had to look it up on Wiki.

"Peking is the Postal Map Romanization of the two characters [P=B, K=J] as they are pronounced in Chinese dialects spoken in the southern port towns first visited by European traders and missionaries."

Comment

Working...
                        X