Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tm71 View Post
    Nelvis was running fast times in the DL meets not just usatf. Rollins has been inconsistent since her 2013 win.
    Yes Harper Nelson was bad luck but his about the other events ? How about the simple fact that 80 % of the team has failed to match their qualifying times ?
    Is 80% a fact, can you send over a spreadsheet? And does it take into consideration things like hot weather for distance runners or races which aren't time-trialed? Does it take into consideration athletes who fouled out? I'll be happy to go through each one line by line with you. Are the 10,000 meter women a disaster because all three ran slower in Beijing than in Eugene. I would consider them one of the great triumphs and wouldn't count them against the 80%.

Comment

Nelvis was running fast times in the DL meets not just usatf. Rollins has been inconsistent since her 2013 win.
      Yes Harper Nelson was bad luck but his about the other events ? How about the simple fact that 80 % of the team has failed to match their qualifying times ?
      Nelvis ran 1 time under 12.52 which wasn't in Eugene. And, remember, in Eugene she ran two storming heats then almost finished 4th in the final. I'm not saying she wasn't a potential medalist but those times she ran in Eugene glossed over what was a solid but hardly great campaign. She was not Rollins2
      Last edited by booond; 08-28-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post
        The last time the US didn't lead in the medal standings was in 2003. It was also the last time they were under 20 medals overall.

I'm not against making changes... it will likely mean multiple meets - distance meets, decathlon meets further out - but griping that the USA isn't dominant because of an unrealistic view of how good we are - 40th in healthcare but we think we're #1 - is a bigger problem.

Dawn Harper-Nelson is a two-time Gold medalist in the same system. Hurdlers hit hurdles. They fall - Lolo and Gwen say hello. They false start. Long jumpers foul. Decathletes get hurt. The Hayward Field wind tunnel creates fast times that are repeated nowhere else. Shit happens.
        Sorry but a lot of incorrect facts and conjecture on your post. First the Us lead the medal count in 2013 with 25 medals not the with less than 20 u stated. Second the us female 100 m hurdlers didn't run all their best time in Eugene, like ato said they had the top 18 times and still do. you are saying unrealistic expectations but unrealistic is to expect for conservatively just two to medal (i am not even mentioning 1-4 because like u stated someone might fall over a hurdle etc). Yes shit does happen here and there but when it becomes common place then Houston we do have a problem. How do u explain that the overwhelming majority of the team failed to match it beat their qualifying times ?

Comment

Nelvis ran 1 time under 12.52 which wasn't in Eugene. And, remember, in Eugene she ran two storming heats then almost finished 4th in the final. I'm not saying she wasn't a potential medalist but those times she ran in Eugene glossed over what was a solid but hardly great campaign. She was not Rollins2
          Even that 12.52 would have won here. She was definitely not Rollins 2013 but should have at least medaled.

Comment

Is 80% a fact, can you send over a spreadsheet? And does it take into consideration things like hot weather for distance runners or races which aren't time-trialed? Does it take into consideration athletes who fouled out? I'll be happy to go through each one line by line with you. Are the 10,000 meter women a disaster because all three ran slower in Beijing than in Eugene. I would consider them one of the great triumphs and wouldn't count them against the 80%.
            I would be willing to look at each athlete one by one not counting the walks, marathon and adjusting some events (for example Tate run 54.02 here and finished third when she had a seed time of 54.01, I would consider that a tie)

Comment

I would be willing to look at each athlete one by one not counting the walks, marathon and adjusting some events (for example Tate run 54.02 here and finished third when she had a seed time of 54.01, I would consider that a tie)
              Tate got a bronze medal against the whole world. That isn't a push against qualifying in Eugene. The USATF is not as great a meet as the WC.

Comment

• Remember before the semis when everybody was talking that 6 American citizens would be in the final?
                Only 3 of them made it, and none medaled. Obviously where you were born was crucial :-)

Comment

Sorry but a lot of incorrect facts and conjecture on your post. First the Us lead the medal count in 2013 with 25 medals not the with less than 20 u stated.
                  I wrote in 2003, not 2013. Look up at my post.

Comment

Sorry but a lot of incorrect facts and conjecture on your post. First the Us lead the medal count in 2013 with 25 medals not the with less than 20 u stated. Second the us female 100 m hurdlers didn't run all their best time in Eugene, like ato said they had the top 18 times and still do. you are saying unrealistic expectations but unrealistic is to expect for conservatively just two to medal (i am not even mentioning 1-4 because like u stated someone might fall over a hurdle etc). Yes shit does happen here and there but when it becomes common place then Houston we do have a problem. How do u explain that the overwhelming majority of the team failed to match it beat their qualifying times ?
                    Other than the correct fact that you misread, what other incorrect facts are there?

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                      My guess is that she's probably friends with the other hurdler, them both getting medals was something they wanted to share together.
                      It is strange how ppl can excuse and rationalize anything ...People true nature usually comes out in times of stress or excitement. Trying to excuse it makes the apologist even worse than the offender there is obviously some redemption if a apology is made and and the offender does not repeat the ugly behaviour again. This act of crassness was completely against the spirit of the Olympics and by extension the WC. How will this woman learn manners if she is not checked but is enabled in her incivility?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChitoAZX View Post
                        Love Harper-Nelson, she is such an upbeat person. I'm sure others in her shoes would be in tears and unwilling to do an interview.
                        Hope that whenever down the road she decides to hang them up the IAAF or IOC has a position for her as am ambassador or some high rank. She's a wonderful representer of the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by mozitzu View Post
                          It is strange how ppl can excuse and rationalize anything ...People true nature usually comes out in times of stress or excitement. Trying to excuse it makes the apologist even worse than the offender there is obviously some redemption if a apology is made and and the offender does not repeat the ugly behaviour again. This act of crassness was completely against the spirit of the Olympics and by extension the WC. How will this woman learn manners if she is not checked but is enabled in her incivility?
                          Or: People like you who read into a situation what they want to see and turn it into something ugly are worse than all of those you mentioned. She doesn't need to learn manners, she (and we) just need protection against the morons of this world.

Comment

• It's totally amazing to read the amount of vitriol aimed at Roleder on her Facebook account and on the original post. Hundreds of Jamaicans of whom at least some look like normal citizens according to their profiles throw any imaginable insult at Roleder from bitch to shit. And there are almost no sane commentators who identify the action this snippet as the slightly failed handshake or touch it is. becuase Danielle Williams obviously didn't feel offended looking at the pics shot a bit later like this one http://www.wz-newsline.de/polopoly_f...nlineImage.jpg
                            It's fascinating how many people in Jamaica are totally willing and almost eagerly ready to feel offended. And it's frankly disturbing how many assume racism.

Comment

I wrote in 2003, not 2013. Look up at my post.
                              Sorry u are right u did state 03, the worlds on Paris during the balco era. I will look at each event and see how each American fared vis a vis their qualifying entry.

Comment

• Roleder came into the season with a 12.80 PB. She broke 13 three times early, then had 8 races over 13. In the WC, she ran 12.86, 12.79 for a PB, then knocked 2/10 of a second, not hundredths, off her PB in the final with a slight negative wind. That is amazing! She screamed the last couple of hurdles.

Talay is much less of a surprise, "only" equaling her PB in the semi and knocking .04 off in the final.

D. Williams had a 12.69 back in 2013. She set PBs in both the semi and final.

These women must have been taking lessons from Gale Devers on how to bring your best to the big show! >:-)

Cheers,
                                Alan Shank

Comment

Working...
                                X