X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mal
    replied
    Originally posted by cladthin View Post
    Even though specific training is clearly the primary means of development, over-reliance on specificity tends to create the possibility of overuse issues and it's been suggested lowers the ceiling because you have fewer means, avenues of progressing. Mentioned the same thing in the women's 100m thread. The multis training and in particular the multi throws and jumps help to develop some general and specific qualities that perhaps the sprinting along cannot-of course along with a strength program. Naturally a lot of sprint/hurdle programs have adopted these general throws and jumps into their programs.
    wow. So the age old question has been answered. Where does the term Pom come from. The answer - pompous.

Leave a comment:

• shango
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    As I said frame by frame if you focus on Roleder's eye cintact, that is exactly what happened.
    Besides just going to the video on FB I suggest posters also read some of the comments from the hundreds of Jamaican posters. Is the venom and bile expressed against Roleder that flowed on FB symptomatic of a deep seated national inferiority complex that occasionally manifests itself on this message board?
    'National inferiority' are you serious? inferiority...you need a real lesson about Jamaica and the Caribbean as a whole
    Your comments are generally quite sensible I think, but this discussion has gone one long enough
    Let me give you some context briefly
    We are not there to be defecated on by some bigger countries
    I think the woman was rude that's it, but people felt insulted, and Jamaicans can be very loyal to their own, if you insult one, you insult all and that is how we had to survive from we were brought from the shores of Africa to today, our history had been littered with exploitation by large countries, hell if it wasn't for the slave trade we would not be there, exploitation still goes on and trusting those with global power...well certain types of people represent that and she was one
    it is all intertwined, it is never just one thing
    They vented their anger and most have forgotten about it, I am sure some are idiots and some felt angry and felt personally insulted, respect and manners is a big issue in Jamaica, saying good morning and thank you, growing up you do that, that's part of the culture
    but you guys keep on and on
    I don't have a social media account and chose not to have one because of this very reason, people just vent without thinking much about it and then they get over it, but once it's on the net it is there
    Really this is a much bigger discussion than any of us can hope to unravel
    And to pass judgement on a people based on social media without knowing who they are is another thing
    We have always been fighters despite everything we fight on, that is a big part of the reason that even without adequate resources and sometimes none, we do do well in this sport
    So please people leave this discussion and don't judge a whole nation with a diverse and complex history on social media

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Yes, dear, but as expressed elsewhere, the Jamaicans are not faced with the same pressure that the Americans face in deep quality fields (in most, not all) events, like . . . the w100H! The Americans will face a better field in the USATF final than they will at the WC.
    That's a pretty pathetic cop out of an excuse Atticus. The problem is your arguments just falls to pieces when you compare the results of Jamaica v USA.

Leave a comment:

• cladthin
    replied
    Even though specific training is clearly the primary means of development, over-reliance on specificity tends to create the possibility of overuse issues and it's been suggested lowers the ceiling because you have fewer means, avenues of progressing. Mentioned the same thing in the women's 100m thread. The multis training and in particular the multi throws and jumps help to develop some general and specific qualities that perhaps the sprinting along cannot-of course along with a strength program. Naturally a lot of sprint/hurdle programs have adopted these general throws and jumps into their programs.
    Last edited by cladthin; 08-29-2015, 01:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Multi-event training, done properly, is wonderful for flat speed. You're always working on explosion and acceleration.

Leave a comment:

• Sinafan
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Roleder came into the season with a 12.80 PB. She broke 13 three times early, then had 8 races over 13. In the WC, she ran 12.86, 12.79 for a PB, then knocked 2/10 of a second, not hundredths, off her PB in the final with a slight negative wind. That is amazing! She screamed the last couple of hurdles.
    With Schippers and Roleder today one can't help but wonder if doing multi-events training up to your early twenties is somehow beneficial. Roleder was a solid hurdle runner in her 12.90-13.00 range before she started doing the heptathlon. The first year she did it she lowered her PB a tenth and won bronze at the EC, the second year she shaves off two tenths more and wins silver at the WC.
    I mean this obviously doesn't work for everyone, but is it possible that the multi-event training helps you to develop all your muscles and your coordination?

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by tm71 View Post
    Sorry u are right u did state 03, the worlds on Paris during the balco era. I will look at each event and see how each American fared vis a vis their qualifying entry.
    But their qualifying entry doesn't mean much if they are in a slow heat, hit a hurdle, false start, foul three times. What's more important is how they did versus expectation and were the expectations correct or were they overblown.

Leave a comment:

• Alan Shank
    replied
    Roleder came into the season with a 12.80 PB. She broke 13 three times early, then had 8 races over 13. In the WC, she ran 12.86, 12.79 for a PB, then knocked 2/10 of a second, not hundredths, off her PB in the final with a slight negative wind. That is amazing! She screamed the last couple of hurdles.

Talay is much less of a surprise, "only" equaling her PB in the semi and knocking .04 off in the final.

D. Williams had a 12.69 back in 2013. She set PBs in both the semi and final.

These women must have been taking lessons from Gale Devers on how to bring your best to the big show! >:-)

Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Leave a comment:

• tm71
    replied
    Originally posted by booond View Post
    I wrote in 2003, not 2013. Look up at my post.
    Sorry u are right u did state 03, the worlds on Paris during the balco era. I will look at each event and see how each American fared vis a vis their qualifying entry.

Leave a comment:

• Sinafan
    replied
    It's totally amazing to read the amount of vitriol aimed at Roleder on her Facebook account and on the original post. Hundreds of Jamaicans of whom at least some look like normal citizens according to their profiles throw any imaginable insult at Roleder from bitch to shit. And there are almost no sane commentators who identify the action this snippet as the slightly failed handshake or touch it is. becuase Danielle Williams obviously didn't feel offended looking at the pics shot a bit later like this one http://www.wz-newsline.de/polopoly_f...nlineImage.jpg
    It's fascinating how many people in Jamaica are totally willing and almost eagerly ready to feel offended. And it's frankly disturbing how many assume racism.

Leave a comment:

• norunner
    replied
    Originally posted by mozitzu View Post
    It is strange how ppl can excuse and rationalize anything ...People true nature usually comes out in times of stress or excitement. Trying to excuse it makes the apologist even worse than the offender there is obviously some redemption if a apology is made and and the offender does not repeat the ugly behaviour again. This act of crassness was completely against the spirit of the Olympics and by extension the WC. How will this woman learn manners if she is not checked but is enabled in her incivility?
    Or: People like you who read into a situation what they want to see and turn it into something ugly are worse than all of those you mentioned. She doesn't need to learn manners, she (and we) just need protection against the morons of this world.

Leave a comment:

• Weights&Shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by ChitoAZX View Post
    Love Harper-Nelson, she is such an upbeat person. I'm sure others in her shoes would be in tears and unwilling to do an interview.
    Hope that whenever down the road she decides to hang them up the IAAF or IOC has a position for her as am ambassador or some high rank. She's a wonderful representer of the sport.

Leave a comment:

• mozitzu
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    My guess is that she's probably friends with the other hurdler, them both getting medals was something they wanted to share together.
    It is strange how ppl can excuse and rationalize anything ...People true nature usually comes out in times of stress or excitement. Trying to excuse it makes the apologist even worse than the offender there is obviously some redemption if a apology is made and and the offender does not repeat the ugly behaviour again. This act of crassness was completely against the spirit of the Olympics and by extension the WC. How will this woman learn manners if she is not checked but is enabled in her incivility?

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Sorry but a lot of incorrect facts and conjecture on your post. First the Us lead the medal count in 2013 with 25 medals not the with less than 20 u stated. Second the us female 100 m hurdlers didn't run all their best time in Eugene, like ato said they had the top 18 times and still do. you are saying unrealistic expectations but unrealistic is to expect for conservatively just two to medal (i am not even mentioning 1-4 because like u stated someone might fall over a hurdle etc). Yes shit does happen here and there but when it becomes common place then Houston we do have a problem. How do u explain that the overwhelming majority of the team failed to match it beat their qualifying times ?
    Other than the correct fact that you misread, what other incorrect facts are there?

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Sorry but a lot of incorrect facts and conjecture on your post. First the Us lead the medal count in 2013 with 25 medals not the with less than 20 u stated.
    I wrote in 2003, not 2013. Look up at my post.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X