• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Also, apparently Dibaba is injured.
    Her pride? >:-)
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Comment

Nothing against Mo, I like him, he's a great character, but it's absurd to say he's a "distance Bolt". Farah's PRs are not even in the top 20 fastest in 5/10. Not even the same universe as Bekele/Geb at the top.

Farah has dominated a weak era of 5/10 the last few years, mostly because Bekele has been injured. Don't forget that Farah is only a year younger than Bekele. If Bekele were healthy all these years and in peak form Farah would have nothing but a nice silver collection, and some slightly faster PRs trying to chase him. That's a fact

Comment

Originally posted by Zap View Post
        Nothing against Mo, I like him, he's a great character, but it's absurd to say he's a "distance Bolt". Farah's PRs are not even in the top 20 fastest in 5/10. Not even the same universe as Bekele/Geb at the top.

Farah has dominated a weak era of 5/10 the last few years, mostly because Bekele has been injured. Don't forget that Farah is only a year younger than Bekele. If Bekele were healthy all these years and in peak form Farah would have nothing but a nice silver collection, and some slightly faster PRs trying to chase him. That's a fact
        There are no "facts" in speculation. That is even more pointless than predicting.
        Bekele was 4th in the London 10,000, BTW. Yes, I don't think he was in his best form, lost to his little brother for the bronze even. In Daegu he dropped out of the 10K, then ran 26:43 less than three weeks later. In 2012, he got 5th, 4th, 5th and 9th in DL 5's, although he did run 12:55, then got on the team by running 27:02 in the British NC. In 2013 he won Pre with 27:12, but did not compete in the "trial" race in Solentuna and was not selected for Moscow. He turned to the roads and won the Great North in 60:09.He has never gotten back to his best, and his marathon career is not going great guns. He won his debut, but got handed his lunch in Chicago, and has not competed at all this year.

So, it's clear that we never saw the great version of Mo (remember, he used to be an also-ran in global finals or even not make the final) against the great version of Bekele. It's just guesswork to speculate on who would have won.

The big difference between Mo and Bekele/Gebrselassie is that they were great big-meet competitors AND great record-setters, making quite a few record attempts.

Still, Mo has done more than they have as far as winning both events. Don't forget that Geb never doubled in a global after '93, when he lost the 5000 to Kirui. Bekele, too, did not double in '05 or '07. Mo, like Usain Bolt, has a 7-race winning streak going, both having lost the first one in Daegu. (Of course, Bolt also doubled in '08 and '09, before "Mo became Mo".)

The only record attempts Mo had made have been those stupid 2 Mile races in Birmingham, indoors and out. "Pick on somebody your own size", like the outdoor 3000! A guy with his endurance who can run 3:28.81 (Komen's 1500 PB was "only" 3:29.46") should go up to Rieti (where Komen ran his 7:20.67) and take a shot at that one.

But maybe Mo doesn't care about records, or how he's ranked by a bunch of Internet geeks! >:-)
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
          26, I accept that you are likely correct that someone doing this runs the risk of being the rabbit. But, since most people are going to finish in positions 4-15, in times that would never have gotten them on their national teams, why not take the risk here?
          If you are Soi or Koech, what's your incentive to set the race up for Ndiku? Do you get any reward from AK for assisting your countryman? Yes, they did finish out of medals, but did they expect to finish out of medals? The same goes for Ethiopia. There it might be even harder to decide who should assist whom.

Comment

Shank, let's be realistic. Bekele couldn't even train for London, and entered at the last minute. I do think Bekele is past his prime, (maybe he will prove this wrong), but the facts remain Mo is not anywhere near as fast as KB was in his salad days or Geb either for that matter, and you completely ignore the fact that Farah is ranked so low all-time (I think Aouita still has a faster PR) Sometimes athletes just dominate a weak era, and Mo is a poster boy for this.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
              I'd take my chances trying to win a 200m race for places 2 and 3 over trying to run away from a bunch of runners who are unlikely to be run away from.
              Amen! It's always a crapshoot for who will have the fastest three pair of sprint legs in a tactical race.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                Tell that to Miss Ayana.
                Do you know how many women in the world can do what Ayana did? I'll tell you how many, one. If Ayana had run just two seconds slower per lap when she made her move, she would have dragged about six or seven other women with her, and Dibaba would have left the meet with two golds.

Comment

Shank, let's be realistic. Bekele couldn't even train for London, and entered at the last minute.
                  As I pointed out in my post, he ran 27:02 in the British NC, and that's how he got on the team, after getting beaten in all those 5K races; still, he ran 12:55. He was not at his best, surely.

I do think Bekele is past his prime, (maybe he will prove this wrong), but the facts remain Mo is not anywhere near as fast as KB was in his salad days or Geb either for that matter, and you completely ignore the fact that Farah is ranked so low all-time (I think Aouita still has a faster PR) Sometimes athletes just dominate a weak era, and Mo is a poster boy for this.
                  You are just talking about times. I addressed his lack of great times in my post. Try quoting. Mo is beating guys with faster times than his. He doesn't run for times. If marks are so important to you, then you will rank him lower. OK.
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank

Comment

Shanky, Shanky, Shanky, it's a combination. Golds, WRs, fast times, consistency. durability. Bolt obviously has proven he has it all. someone like Shelly Ann is only missing the WR, but her times are consistently very fast. Bekele has no durability. Mo has no WRs or fast times either. It's very hard to be a Geb or Bolt, that's why they are one of a kind

Comment

Shanky, Shanky, Shanky, it's a combination. Golds, WRs, fast times, consistency. durability. Bolt obviously has proven he has it all. someone like Shelly Ann is only missing the WR, but her times are consistently very fast. Bekele has no durability. Mo has no WRs or fast times either. It's very hard to be a Geb or Bolt, that's why they are one of a kind
                      Huh? My post had nothing at all to do with any comparison to Bolt. I don't know who called Mo a "distance Bolt".
                      Cheers,
                      "Shanky"

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                        Huh? My post had nothing at all to do with any comparison to Bolt. I don't know who called Mo a "distance Bolt".
                        Cheers,
                        "Shanky"
                        Well that was my original point. Someone else made the comparison, I thought maybe you agreed with it based on your response, oh well, carry on!

Comment

I think that Farah would have his number, and getting injured is part of the price you pay for extremely high-level training for a long time, so it is not something that 'just happened' to him out of the blue.

And, I am not only fine with his lack of 5000/10,000 WRs, but think that there may be some good in that. And, the assumption that others are 'lesser' runners may be based on the same now-levelized playing field. When you have some very good 'journeymen' runners much higher on the lists than someone dominating the sport there are implications other than that he and the current crop are not very good.

[I do not mean to be casting aspersions on Bek and Geb. However, when you have a number of guys who really did not become major runners turning out marks that no one can now produce it raises my suspicions about those several extraordinarily good marks without much in the way of honors.]

Comment

Working...
                          X