• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Trials History Book Available For Order

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thursday, June 17, 2004

History of the Olympic Trials now for sale at www.usatf.org

INDIANAPOLIS – For the first time since 1996, USA Track & Field has published a revised edition of The History of the U.S. Olympic Trials – Track & Field, by Richard Hymans.

The definitive history of the U.S. Olympic Trials, Hymans’ exhaustive narrative traces the Olympic Trials – the world’s greatest track meet outside the Olympics and World Championships – from 1908 through the 2000 Olympic Trials in Sacramento. Full results of all preliminary and final rounds, as well as narrative summaries of the competition and background details, are supplemented by archive photos.

The Olympic Trials achievements of all-time greats including Babe Didriksen, Jesse Owens, Bob Mathias, Wilma Rudolph, Bobby Morrow, Bob Hayes, Steve Prefontaine, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses, Michael Johnson, Stacy Dragila, Maurice Greene and others are described in the 408-page book.

Statistical highlights in the book include Olympic Trials record progressions and all-time performance lists, youngest and oldest Olympians, most Olympic Trials victories, records set at the Olympic Trials and other invaluable data.

To order your copy of The History of the U.S. Olympic Trials – Track & Field, visit USATF’s online store – http://www.usatf.org/store/showProductD ... OLYTRLS-04 . The book is being printed by Sport Graphics, Inc., of Indianapolis and will be shipped July 1.

The History of the U.S. Olympic Trials – Track & Field

By Richard Hymans, ATFS

Published by USA Track & Field, 406 pages

$24.00 ($21.60 – members)

Shipping: $6 for the first, $2 each additional

# # #

Re: Olympic Trials History Book Available For Order

Many thanks...to both you and them.

Comment

I'm an easy mark, just ordered it.

Comment

>the Olympic Trials –
        >the world’s greatest track meet outside the >Olympics and World Championships

Says who?
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>Says who?

I'm pretty sure it was the USATF.

Comment

Says a lot of people (including Europeans) who have been to all of them. Have you?

Comment

Zurich may be the greatest 1-day meet, but the OT are #3 multi-day meet after OG and WC. No brag, just fact. That new GP Finals last year was up there too.

Comment

>Says a lot of people (including Europeans) who >have been to all of them.

They must be pretty old if they've been to all of them since 1908. Their judgment may be a bit clouded ;-)

>Have you?

Have you been to the European championships?
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

all of them = each different competition. No argument that EC outweighs OT for continental types, which is why NCAA's are such a big deal to us; we know all the players.

Comment

The EC is superb in some events (field events, multis) but it doesn't have the exuberance of the US trials (which is one of the reasons it appealed as a book). One year I went down the betting shop and filled out forms for 7 accumulator bets - the bookies (damn them) wouldn't take the bet (they'd been burned 2 years earlier on OG betting). 5 of the 7 bets would have been winners - the relevance of which is the the EC is often predictable. The OT rarely is, and that is another reason why ot's so great. A pity I have to be at work in 3 weeks time - but all of you who do go, enjoy it.

Comment

Yes, of course I've been to the Euros. Even when the commies were in full flower and WRs were a dime a dozen. Wonderful-wonderful meet, but as Richard (a Brit) notes above me here, doesn't quite have the drama of an OT. Although the tougher standards are removing some of that.

Comment

the US OT is so exciting because apart from OG and WC semis, there is no other meet where sudden death is so front-and-centre stage.

Comment

Just received my copy of the book in the mail today, and as my son handed it to me, his quote was, "Dad, could you be any more of a track geek?" So now even my own kids are making fun of me?

I'm not geeky enough to sit down and read it cover-to-cover, but I bet I will be using it a lot for reference. When I see an old name, I'll see how he did at the Trials.

I also ordered the WR progression book, simply because someone on THIS board said you aren't a REAL fan if you didn't have one, and LORD FORBID that I shouldn't be seen as a real fan (esp. by my own children!)

Irrelevant note - just got back from 'Spiderman 2' and thought it was great, but of course I did, because I'm a geek!

Comment

Garry,
                            Is T&FN going to traffic in this book?

Comment

<"Dad, could you be any more of a track geek?">

The few, the proud.....
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X