Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400H and 800

just curious, has there ever been an athlete that was good at both events?

I'm sure this has been discussed in the Historical forum.

The one that most easily pops into my head is Harald Schmid. World ranked for 13 straight years in the 400h ('77-'89) he also ran the 800m occasionally and was world ranked in the event three times ('79-'81). It was clearly a sideline, he never competed in the 800 at major international championships.

Comment

Originally posted by uakari View Post
      Brandon Johnson
      David Patrick
      Joey Woody

...for starters.

Comment

Harold Schmid

Comment

Schmid came immediately to mind for me as well.

Comment

any women?

Comment

JJK to some level of proficiency

Comment

Schmid was mid 47s in the 400H and sub 1:45 in the 800m

Comment

any women?
                  I can't recall any real crossover stars, but Fabienne Kohlmann (GER) who has had a breakout 1.58.37 year in 2015 has also been a 400mhurdler (55.49 in 2010).

Aussie Tamsyn Lewis-Manou was a 1.59.21 runner who hurdled 56.27 the one season she ran the 400mH.

Comment

More on Women.

Sigrun Wodars (800m gold in Seoul OG and Rome WC) finished 4th in the 400mH in the 1981 European Junior Championships (PR 56.18).

Comment

Enough so this should never be an undoable double in the WCh or OG!

Comment

This question has been raised before, and Schmid and then Patrick come out on the top of the list. At the time I'm sure that I wrote that Ron Whitney deserved some mention though obviously on a lesser level for the half. On even a lesser level there is the case of, better known as a wonderful actor with an incredible voice, Roscoe Lee Browne. His highest 800 meter ranking was I think number 2 from 1951. Check the archives from the national championships and you will see that one year he made the finals in the intermediates.

Comment

Perusing the lists at http://www.alltime-athletics.com, five men have gone under 49 seconds for the the 400h and under 1:46 for 800m.

Harald Schmid - 47.48, 1:44.83
                          David Patrick - 47.75, 1:44.70
                          Brandon Johnson - 48.59, 1:43.84
                          Edgar Itt (GER) - 48.48, 1:45.70
                          Barnabas Kinyor (KEN) - 48.90, 1:44.95

There didn't appear to me any women that were on both lists.

Comment

Working...
                          X