Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best CLUTCH performance of WC

I guess the term "clutch performance" applies mostly to field events--though Eaton's 1500 certainly would count. But in the purely field events, Bartoletta and Molitor are definitely the performances of the meet, coming up with outstanding PRs to win on their last attempts.

Originally posted by Grazerite View Post
    I guess the term "clutch performance" applies mostly to field events--though Eaton's 1500 certainly would count. But in the purely field events, Bartoletta and Molitor are definitely the performances of the meet, coming up with outstanding PRs to win on their last attempts.
    Yeah, you got it right. Tianna and Molitor. But also would add Yarisley Silva, the PV Cuban cutie. Doesn't get more clutch than that. Bolt 100 was pretty clutch too. He looked atrocious in the heats and Gatlin looked way ahead of him. But now that all seems like a laughable memory that never happened.

Comment

Yes, I thought Tianna's jump was the clutch performance of the meet, along with Eaton's finish in the dec1500. Yay to Molitor and Silva too. As for Bolt, he's NOTHING BUT clutch.

Comment

Best clutch performance for me for the men was Bolt. He performed at his best when someone who was performing better than him all year most definitely did not have his best race and lost. Take your pick among the women, Bartoletta or Molitor and Silva.

Comment

I'd add VCB in the women's 200m as well to that list. Dug deep for that one
          Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

silva for sure… she was behind for most of the competition… and then…

what about taylor? wasn't the winning jump his last one or the penultimate one?

Comment

Originally posted by uakari View Post
              silva for sure… she was behind for most of the competition… and then…

what about taylor? wasn't the winning jump his last one or the penultimate one?
              No, Taylor was already in the lead at that point. That jump cemented the win.

Comment

I vote Silva as well, closely followed by Molitor (broke a lot of Beijing hearts!) and Tiana Bartoletta. The Cuban Pocket Rocket performed when it counted most and executed flawlessly.

Bolt is the word CLUTCH so let's exclude him as the obvious choice. How about Wade Van Niekirk for holding his nerve and enough of his form to win while being chased by sub 44 men such as Merritt and James.

Comment

For me : wvn , yego, felix 4x4, ds 200, Taylor tj, ....

... So many lesser clutch performances too. ..this was a solid wc.

Biggest failures /underperformers :team USA coaches.

Comment

Drouin performed in the jump off. When's the last time there was a jump-off at a world major?

Comment

Bartoletta and Molitor are top, Silva close behind. I would say Drouin, but he wasn't actually behind in his event. Nor was Eaton.

And how could anyone forget Emily Infeld?

Comment

Novlene Williams Mills anchor of the Ja women 4x4 deserve mentions too. She got overlooked because everyone was talking about Felix, but they did win gold. and she is the reason why

Comment

Originally posted by Zap View Post
                          Novlene Williams Mills anchor of the Ja women 4x4 deserve mentions too. She got overlooked because everyone was talking about Felix, but they did win gold. and she is the reason why
                          Running a 49.2 anchor is not a particularly notable time, given that it was a second and a half slower than Felix. To put in the category of Clutch performance would almost imply that any winning effort would do that. If McCorory ran a good leg, she would not have pulled it off, and calling it clutch because of someone else's mediocre (and outright poor performances by two others, given and F and D- elsewhere on the board) performance downplays the notion of a clutch performance. Now, the woman's javelin was a whole different ballgame, with the lead grabbed on the fifth round by the local star with, I think, and Area Record.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                            Running a 49.2 anchor is not a particularly notable time, given that it was a second and a half slower than Felix.
                            I think you're misunderstanding the use of "clutch performance". It's not about the overall greatness of the performance, it's how they responded under pressure in a last-second or last-minute do-or-die situation.

For example, if an NBA player made 4 free throws in a row and a 3-pointer in the last minute of the game to secure his team's victory, but scored nothing else for the whole game, it would still be described as an excellent clutch performance even though his overall game for the game wasn't that great. And if he did something similar over and over in close games during the season, his team might consider him to be their best clutch performer even if he's far from being their best player per se.

NW-M's anchor leg was a very good clutch performance, considering McCorory's much greater speed on paper and that the Jamaicans were considered underdogs relative to the US 4x4 team.
                            Last edited by 18.99s; 09-02-2015, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                              I think you're misunderstanding the use of "clutch performance". It's not about the overall greatness of the performance, it's how they responded under pressure in a last-second or last-minute do-or-die situation.
                              I'm amazed how one can misunderstand the definition of clutch. Both Novlene and Felix converted deficits into leads. Novlene did it when it mattered most. This is truly a no-brainer.

Comment

Working...
                              X