X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tm71
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Didn't Kipteter have problems with his citizenship around that time? Did he compete in Athens?

Anyway, I think Zurich was toughest on the women 5000 and the men 1500 runners from Beijing, because they had the least amount of rest, especially Dibaba and Ayana, who ran a really hard 5000 in Beijing, had three days rest minus travel, and ran a really hard 3000 in Zurich.
    Yes kipketer competed and won in Athens in 97. That was one of the worlds I was able to attend.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    And, amazingly enough, 11 days later in Cologne the 800 and steeple WRs were broken again.
    Didn't Kipteter have problems with his citizenship around that time? Did he compete in Athens?

Anyway, I think Zurich was toughest on the women 5000 and the men 1500 runners from Beijing, because they had the least amount of rest, especially Dibaba and Ayana, who ran a really hard 5000 in Beijing, had three days rest minus travel, and ran a really hard 3000 in Zurich.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    And, amazingly enough, 11 days later in Cologne the 800 and steeple WRs were broken again.

Leave a comment:

• bobguild76
    replied
    Earlier this summer I was queried by another track journo as to what might be the greatest 1-day meet ever. What immediately jumped to my mind was Zürich '97, in which in short order we had 800 WR by Kipketer, steeple WR by Boit and 5K WR by Geb. And mixed in with that El G moving to No. 2 on the all-time 1500 list.

That meet was on Wednesday, August 13.

Oh yeah, the World Championships ended 3 days earlier, on August 10.
    Yes, that was an amazing meet!
    Last edited by bobguild76; 09-04-2015, 05:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
    Truly, I think it is much more than the weather. Like I said earlier, this meet will NEVER be what it once was as long as it is held the week (5 days) after the WC's or OG's. Too much to expect: athletes are either emotionally drained, physically worn out, injured or a combination of all of the above. Was there one truly memorable mark today?
    Earlier this summer I was queried by another track journo as to what might be the greatest 1-day meet ever. What immediately jumped to my mind was Zürich '97, in which in short order we had 800 WR by Kipketer, steeple WR by Boit and 5K WR by Geb. And mixed in with that El G moving to No. 2 on the all-time 1500 list.

That meet was on Wednesday, August 13.

Oh yeah, the World Championships ended 3 days earlier, on August 10.

Leave a comment:

• Zap
    replied
    Anyone have a video of the Diamond League winner presentation? My telecast cut it off after the relay.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by guru View Post
    Too bad they couldnt put the first half of the Beijing lineup together with the back half of today(the team I called for earlier in that thread). Might have actually had a fighting chance last week.

Also, the fact that Bowie was anchoring today only lends more credence that there was more than met the eye in her exclusion last week(unless there was a mandatory team USA relay camp in Zurich this week I was unaware of)
    I'm going to guess this was a makeshift 4x100 team considering Bowie being Adidas. Remember the issue the men's B team had in Monaco where 2 Adidas athletes were going to be forced to wear Nike kits just for the relay.

Leave a comment:

• Lp171781
    replied
    Too bad they couldnt put the first half of the Beijing lineup together with the back half of today(the team I called for earlier in that thread). Might have actually had a fighting chance last week.

Also, the fact that Bowie was anchoring today only lends more credence that there was more than met the eye in her exclusion last week(unless there was a mandatory team USA relay camp in Zurich this week I was unaware of)
    You're right that line-up would have made the race a lot closer. If only Pierre could have made the Beijing relay pool to run first leg because she had an amazing start and Gardner looked a little sluggish out of the blocks in Beijing. Hindsight is such a wonderful tool lol

Also I wonder how much time did they have to practice because they're handoffs were great. If im not mistaken the relay team that ran in Beijing practiced a couple of times this summer and their exchanges were mediocre at best and a couple were bobbled. I do not think it would have been too hard to Bowie on that relay unless there were other factors in play.
    Last edited by Lp171781; 09-04-2015, 03:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 1runner1
    replied
    what do you expect on a cold & wet night?
    Truly, I think it is much more than the weather. Like I said earlier, this meet will NEVER be what it once was as long as it is held the week (5 days) after the WC's or OG's. Too much to expect: athletes are either emotionally drained, physically worn out, injured or a combination of all of the above. Was there one truly memorable mark today?

Leave a comment:

• 1runner1
    replied
    Originally posted by Zap View Post
    What happened to USA women's sprinting? Suddenly they only have Tori Bowie. Nothing else, not even on the horizon. Remember just two years ago when Gardner and Octavius Freeman were supposed to be the next great thing. Gardner is a mirage and Freeman is a total bust.
    Bowie, Prandini, Hall, Whitney, McGrone...and I am sure there are others...next year will be key in their development to world class level.

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied
    Originally posted by Zap View Post
    What happened to USA women's sprinting? Suddenly they only have Tori Bowie. Nothing else, not even on the horizon. Remember just two years ago when Gardner and Octavius Freeman were supposed to be the next great thing. Gardner is a mirage and Freeman is a total bust.
    Candace Hall is not on the horizon? Prandini? Plenty of young performers to come soon and shine brightly. Prospects are very good!

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied
    what do you expect on a cold & wet night?
    Or first meet after an emotional WC an otherwise log layoff. Anyone expecting huge fireworks today was expecting too much.

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lp171781 View Post
    Yea I think Bowie did an good job. Bowie could not close on Shelly but Shelly did not pull away from her the way she did Jasmine Todd.
    Shelly is not Bolt. Her biggest advantage in the 100 is not superior top speed but her incredible start and drive phase.

Leave a comment:

• Zap
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zap
    replied

Exactly! Total joke to leave he off in China.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X