Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletes Going Pro Early

Curious how most people feel about this "wave" of athletes going pro early. some Have Superior Creditials (Gatlin anyone) before they lace up the Pro-spikes, but others are Good Quality athletes that arent' quite there. Webb is having a good year, but he didn't even dominate in college when he decided to come out. McWilliams is a good American Talent, but how many finals will she make with her PRs. Sonya Richards is also a phenomenal talent, but considering she didn't win the NCAA's this year, another year or two of school wouldn't hurt.

Re: Athletes Going Pro Early

This was from an article in the Austin paper this morning:

Texas quarter-miler Sanya Richards now has another distinction. She's the first athlete coached by Bev Kearney to leave college early for a professional career in track and field.

But Kearney doesn't think Richards will be the last.

Richards, a five-time NCAA champion for the Longhorns, said Wednesday she will forgo her final two seasons of eligibility. The All-America sophomore becomes the first undergraduate to turn pro in this Olympic year. Kearney, in her 12th year as Texas' women's coach, believes there will be others.

"I think you have to understand now that there's the potential that (recruits) may not be around for four years," Kearney said after Richards announced her decision. "I think that's the reality of the sport. I don't see why our sport should be any different than tennis, golf, basketball or football.

"It's an honor, actually, that those options are available, although it doesn't feel good sometimes as a college coach when you're trying to get another trophy."

Comment

Ms. Richards has a bright future in the sport and chose to start it (professionally) now. Athletics is a cruel career, because you are always one injury away from termination. If you can strike while the iron is hot, and be prudent with the money you get up front, I would even tell my own children to go ahead and pursue the dream. You can always go back later and finish your education with the money you put away.

Comment

Well said

Comment

Working...
        X