Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Women's AOY Speculation..........

I assume we're not discussing this because Baby D and Wlodarczyk are the clear 1 & 2.

Dibaba obviously has the POY but does the rest of her season make her overall #1?

After those 2 who will make up the rest of the Top 10?

There are so many flaws in so many people's seasons it's going to be really hard to rank and as for individual events????

Anyone want to take a crack at the 100h?
    Last edited by gh; 12-31-2015, 04:03 PM.

what is your basis for Skolimowska? I thought she retired a few years ago.
    Presume you mean Wlodarczyk.

Comment

My AOY would be Wlodarczyk. Sentimental favourite was and is Dibaba but after she got trounced at Beijing in the 5000 and post Beijing that squashed the debate between her and Wlodarczyk; at least it did for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
        what is your basis for Skolimowska? I thought she retired a few years ago.
        Presume you mean Wlodarczyk.
        HA!!! Obviously.

I shall amend.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
          My AOY would be Wlodarczyk. Sentimental favourite was and is Dibaba but after she got trounced at Beijing in the 5000 and post Beijing that squashed the debate between her and Wlodarczyk; at least it did for me.
          I see it more as Dibaba's 5000m exploits very fast times wins and WC bronze add to her 1500m season. Otherwise she's being penalised for doing an extra event.

Had she just done the 1500m she'd be a slam dunk so should adding more medals deduct from her year?

I say this without actually looking up her overall year so could be plenty of other blemishes I'm not aware of.

Comment

I won't choose my AOY's (on my Blog) until December 31st.
            Also, I don't use the same criteria T&FN does, as I put Marks as most important!
            Also, I do NOT consider INdoor marks in my considerations! That's a separate season, with separate AOY's!!
            That said, here's my EARLY picks for Top 10 for the World & US.

World
            1. Anita Wlodarczyk (Her consistency at WR levels surpasses GD's one-shot WR)
            2. Almaz Ayana (Again, for consistency of marks!)
            3. Genzebe Dibaba (You can't ignore her 3:50.07!)
            4. Dafne Schippers (For her 21.63, and other NR's!)
            5. Allyson Felix (For her 400's, including her 47.72 relay split!)
            6. Denia Caballero (For marks, and beating Perkovic at the WC!)
            7. Zuzana Hejnova (For dominance of her event!)
            8. Christine Schwanitz (Ditto, even if she shone MAINLY because of Val's injuries!)
            9. Jessica Ennis-Hill (I hesitated giving her a spot, as I firmly believe KJT would've beaten her if that LJ had been legal!!)
            10. Tianna Bartoletta (For winning a great tight battle in the WC!)

USA
            1. Shannon Rowbury (For taking down a LEGENDARY Record, and for consistency!)
            2. Allyson Felix (See World notes!)
            3. Jasmine Stowers (For her 12.40, 12.39, and 12.35 sequence of PR's!)
            4. Sandi Morris & Demi Payne (A TIE....just no way to separate them!!)
            5. Tianna Bartoletta (See World notes!)
            6. Molly Huddle (For her track AND road marks! Also for her consistency!)
            7. Michelle Carter (For a solid year!)
            8. Kara Winger (For a solid year also!)
            9. Shamier Little (For consistency of marks!)
            10. Jenny Simpson (For her great marks, even if overshadowed by Rowbury!)
            Last edited by aaronk; 09-20-2015, 11:57 PM.

Comment

How can anyone ignore Ibarguen???

Comment

Aaronk, how can Felix be #5 in the world, yet have an American who isn't in the top #10 of your global lists knock her off top spot on the US list??

Comment

If indoor is included, I think Dibaba takes it with 2 world records in addition to her dominant season prior to the Beijing 5k (where she won bronze anyway).

If indoor is not included, then not sure between Wlodarczyk and Dibaba.

Ibarguen probably for 3rd considering 0 losses and her dominance, although she doesn't have the WL.
                  But after them I'm thinking, Bartoletta, SAFP, Ayana and maybe Yarisley Silva mixed in for 3/4th.

Other events like the 200m, 100h, 400m, Discus etc with excellent world leading marks simply didn't have a dominant athlete for the entirety of the season. So no way that Felix, Schippers etc are serious AOY quality.
                  Last edited by ATK; 09-21-2015, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
                    Aaronk, how can Felix be #5 in the world, yet have an American who isn't in the top #10 of your global lists knock her off top spot on the US list??
                    Good question!
                    Probably because I see the 2 lists as different.

On the World list, Sifan Hassan would rank ahead of Rowbury in a strict 1500/Mile ranking.
                    But on a strict USA ONLY list, there's no Hassan (or Dibaba!), so Rowbury, because she took out Slaney's venerable Record, rates ahead of Felix.

Felix, however, rates high on the World list because of her marks (and winning the WC!).

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                      Felix, however, rates high on the World list because of her marks (and winning the WC!).
                      Disagree. Felix didn't dominate either of her events over the course of this year and probably just edges McCorory for US #1 in the 400m, and is definitely noy US#1 in the 200 (looking at McGrone).

Comment

I'll be pretty surprised if Felix isn't ahead of McGrone in the 200 ranks

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                          Disagree. Felix didn't dominate either of her events over the course of this year and probably just edges McCorory for US #1 in the 400m, and is definitely noy US#1 in the 200 (looking at McGrone).
                          I see you are trying to wind up benjastar

Comment

The interesting thing is that, until her incredible POY in the 1500, Dibaba was on track for a spectacular 5k season, with nothing to show in the 1500. And yet, with the WR and the WC gold, she is #1 in the 1500, but #2 in the 5k.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
                              I see it more as Dibaba's 5000m exploits very fast times wins and WC bronze add to her 1500m season. Otherwise she's being penalised for doing an extra event.

Had she just done the 1500m she'd be a slam dunk so should adding more medals deduct from her year?
                              Actually, had she just done the 1500, her season would have been very thin - only 3 meets, albeit all were spectacular wins.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X