Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beebee View Post
    The U.S. women's 100 hurdles team will easily be the most difficult to make. A sub 12.40 performer may be watching Rio on television.
    The recent form chart suggests you will probably be proven right. However, all of the ladies current in front of her have shown that they are all capable of screwing up on the day, so I wouldn't count out Lolo just yet. She has a proven track record of coming through when it counts.

She has done more than all of the other hurdlers combined to create a media interest in that event. Without Lolo there would have been zero media interest in the women's hurdles. Rightly or wrongly, the reality is just like the world of advertising - "sex" sells.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
      She has done more than all of the other hurdlers combined to create a media interest in that event. Without Lolo there would have been zero media interest in the women's hurdles. Rightly or wrongly, the reality is just like the world of advertising - "sex" sells.
      Her popularity isn't all looks-based, it's personality-based too. There are plenty of lookers in the world of track and field, but if they aren't charismatic, they generate little media interest. Leading up to the 2008 Olympics, Lolo had been on the scene as an All-American collegian and a pro for eight years, but no one knew who she was outside of track fans, and people in Des Moines and Baton Rouge. It was only after TV reporters started putting mics in front of her that she began to blow up.

Comment

True that jazz, but you can't have one without the other.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
          It was only after TV reporters started putting mics in front of her that she began to blow up.
          i missed the part where Lolo "blew up". I think she handles the press just fine..witty, gracious, funny, self-deprecating, defends her values without critizing others. i am not aware she has ever dissed her opponents..

No, I am not nominating her for sainthood ( I don't think she is Catholic), just calling em like I sees em.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            i missed the part where Lolo "blew up". I think she handles the press just fine..witty, gracious, funny, self-deprecating, defends her values without critizing others. i am not aware she has ever dissed her opponents..

No, I am not nominating her for sainthood ( I don't think she is Catholic), just calling em like I sees em.
            You need to get a new slang translation book lonewolf. lol

from the Urban Dictionary:

blow up - To become famous, successful, and respected usually within a small amount of time.

Example - Tarentino worked in a video rental joint before he made Resevoir Dogs and blew up.

Comment

Ok, in that context Lolo blew up. In a good way...and, yep, my Urban Dictionary may be out of date..
              Lolo is the bees knees...23 Skidoo

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                Lolo is the bees knees...23 Skidoo
                Two generations separated by a common language (again)

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                  You need to get a new slang translation book lonewolf. lol

from the Urban Dictionary:
                  I think I need to employ you as a translator jazz because I can never understand half the crap my grandchildren post on FaceBook.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                    I think I need to employ you as a translator jazz because I can never understand half the crap my grandchildren post on FaceBook.
                    One thing I find amusing is how big-time college football and basketbal coaches, whose livelihoods depend on wooing teenagers to come play for them, try to stay up with current youth culture. Back in the day, coaches just had to come up with a way to compliment mothers on their cooking and home decor without sounding like a phony, but now coaches must also know the lastest dances, the trendiest rappers and the current internet and twitter slang. Did anyone here catch Virginia Tech football coach Frank Beamer dabbing after one of their games recently? Of course nobody can top Dabo Swinney, who's always eager to show kids his lastest dance moves?

Comment

Jazz, nothing can top the inanity of Tom Herman getting a "grill" from some rap-famous jeweler in Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
                        The U.S. women's 100 hurdles team will easily be the most difficult to make. A sub 12.40 performer may be watching Rio on television.
                        Check the threads from as far back as the 2014 Winter Olympics. I think I mentioned something like this back then, when I predicted she would have to contend with Dawn Harper-Nelson, Brianna Rollins and Queen Harrison. Now she has Sharika Nelvis and Jasmin Stowers, and maybe even Keni Harrison, to worry about; and so does one of the other 3...

...But I'll still bet short money that Dawn will come away with a complete set of medals. She has gold from Beijing 2008 and silver from London 2012.

Comment

Working...
                        X