Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    I believe there's a big cost difference. Given the number of participants and officials, it's gotta be a lot cheaper to host the walk event.
    But I believe the cost is largely covered by the IAAF.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I believe the IAAF covers some costs, but the hosts still have serious costs to bear. If that were not the case, there would be a lot more bidders for events like the World Juniors.

Comment

and whatever the "per day cost" is that's borne by the locals, it's 3x as long for the Juniors as it is for the walks. (or maybe closer to 4x)

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
          yeah, but then the British Parliament will open an investigation into why they were just awarded the meet
          And Coe will pretend it was the same process as it was for Eugene 21.

Comment

I believe the IAAF covers some costs, but the hosts still have serious costs to bear. If that were not the case, there would be a lot more bidders for events like the World Juniors.
            I'm not sure exactly how it works, but from what I remember, the Bydgoszcz organizers seemed pretty happy with the deal they were getting the last time they hosted it.

One reason there's not more places willing to host is that it is a big event in terms of the logistics involved, second only to the WCh. The last 2 editions had over 1500 athletes and 170 countries competing. It's hard to pull it off in half a year. Bydgoszcz has the advantage of experience - they hosted this event as well as several other major ones, and are already preparing for the 2017 European U23s - so it is easier for them than for most.

Comment

The good news about a Juniors bid is that you can throw the kids into dormitory housing, whereas the Senior dudes require hotels of multiple-star ratings.

Comment

AFAIR, Bydgoszcz didn't use any dormitories as such in 2008, although some of the hotels weren't exactly top class. Actually, accomodation seemed to be the biggest challenge in the organization of the event. Some athletes had to stay in Toruń (50 km away) because there was nowhere to put them.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  The good news about a Juniors bid is that you can throw the kids into dormitory housing, whereas the Senior dudes require hotels of multiple-star ratings.
                  Isn't Eugene planning to use dorms for the Seniors in 2021?

Comment

The WC bidding requirements state accomodation should be of 4* standard, with village-style accomodation being preferred. Maybe these dorms are nice enough to qualify?

The WJC bidding requirements, on the other hand, contain nothing on the required standard of accomodation, except that athletes should be given twin rooms.

Comment

Isn't Eugene planning to use dorms for the Seniors in 2021?
                      I don't believe so. Story I heard was that while they'll use "student housing," it'll be new apartment complexes that are going up.

Comment

I have worked several meets at Eugene. They have always housed officials and ( some) athletes in the dorms a block north of the track. Spartan accomadations, communal showers but first rate cafeteria.
                        The apartment complexes must be new.

Comment

Working...
                        X