• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USTFCCCA coaches vote for mile at outdoor nationals

221-169 tally at the Convention.

still needs to be approved by the NCAA

Hot Dog! About time.

Comment

As someone who has always felt the BBTM movement was just silly, good on ya, mate. You pursued it and made it happen. Got no prob with that.

But one request: now can you just leave HS alone? It is absolutely pointless us for to run anything but even laps.

Comment

Sorry, Atticus, but I must disagree. The 1600m is an abomination. BBTM!

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
          Sorry, Atticus, but I must disagree. The 1600m is an abomination. BBTM!
          Check your birth certificate and you'll see why you think that way!
          Leave us alone . . . the big HS invitationals can have the mile if they're dead set on it, but we, in the trenches, would hate it. A nice even 4 laps is perfect for us.

Comment

Yea for NCAA mile!
            But, as Atticus says, once the original sin of converting tracks from 440 yards to metric was committed, It makes sense to let em run even laps instead of backing em up a little bit for the mile, a little less for the 880, a smidgen for the 440, half a smidgen for the 220 and....

Comment

I know HS math standards are dropping, but the average coach is no longer capable of measuring a nice round 31-feet from the finish and putting a piece of tape on the track?

(that's a couple of inches beyond 9.344m, but close enough)

Comment

The problem with the 1600 in high schools is getting coaches to realize that a 4:12 mile in 1976 is indeed faster than a 4:19 1600. And that was a coach who fairly recently was an All-American D1 distance runner.

And check out the all-time 1600 at Wichita East!

http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndFiel...17980&Grade=12

Comment

Next up NCAA!

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  221-169 tally at the Convention.

still needs to be approved by the NCAA
                  Yup, but we are not counting our chickens yet... and for the record, we have nothing against the 1500.

And the HS federations will be, and have been, a tougher nut to crack...

Bringing back the Mile is a marathon and is one piece of the promotional puzzle for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                    I know HS math standards are dropping, but the average coach is no longer capable of measuring a nice round 31-feet from the finish and putting a piece of tape on the track?
                    (that's a couple of inches beyond 9.344m, but close enough)
                    That's not the issue. SIMPLICITY is the issue. Plus, we're trying to get kids to be split-conscious (even in the case of 200 splits). Running even increments of our track is just way more LOGICAL than the archaic mile. There are ZERO compelling reasons to make HSers run the mile, except when dinosaurs are involved. Soon enough the dinosaurs will start turning into petroleum deposits and that will be that.

Comment

This is tangential to the argument at hand, but I will digress...

The first time I was announcing our high school city championship meet, I asked the meet director if it was OK that I announced the real meet records. (When making the switchover to metric in 1979, the running event record book was stupidly wiped clean.) I told her so-and-so ran 4:14 for the mile but the 1600 record was 4:16.

I saw a glazed look come over her eyes. She said "But it wasn't 1600 meters."

I replied that it was and then some, that he'd actually run further and in less time. Again she couldn't even begin to fathom what I meant and said "But it wasn't 1600 meters". I gave up and just announced what I knew to be the correct records when those events came around.

To this day she ranks as the second dumbest adult I've ever known.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        That's not the issue. SIMPLICITY is the issue. Plus, we're trying to get kids to be split-conscious (even in the case of 200 splits). Running even increments of our track is just way more LOGICAL than the archaic mile. There are ZERO compelling reasons to make HSers run the mile, except when dinosaurs are involved. Soon enough the dinosaurs will start turning into petroleum deposits and that will be that.
                        That is a pretty lame excuse since we are only talking about an extra 10 yards at the end. Besides college coaches have no problem with runners doing 3 and 3/4 laps.

Comment

Originally posted by cubehead View Post
                          That is a pretty lame excuse since we are only talking about an extra 10 yards at the end. Besides college coaches have no problem with runners doing 3 and 3/4 laps.
                          It's even lamer to insist that HSers should NOT run even increments of a lap. WHY? Because some people have nostalgia? That's a terrible reason! I repeat, simplicity and logic dictate what to run, not someone's bizarre fetish with what used to be.
                          I am not responsible for the 1500 - it's as stupid as the Mile on a 400m track.
                          I think I'll start a movement. It'll be called BITSH (Bring In the Sixteen Hundred)! Makes more sense than the BBTM!
                          Last edited by Atticus; 12-18-2015, 09:02 PM.

Comment

For some context, just four years ago, prior to BBTM's launch, a similar proposal by top coach Pat Henry failed 47-214 at the 2011 convention. So progress has been made with collegiate coaches and how they see the Mile and its promotional value.

Comment

If the mile is so "Jurassic Age", then why does T&FN convert 1600 times to mile "equivalents"?
                              If you want to say bye-bye to the mile, then do away with the conversions---which is even worse than having the 1600!!

And if you insist on even laps---then eliminate also the 1500, 5000, 3000, 3000SC, and indoors the 300 and 500!

And why have the 55's indoors when you have the 60's?

And why not have MEN run the 100H like the women?
                              110 meters is a weird distance too!

Oh yeah, while we're at it, forget the 26 miles 385 yards nonsense!
                              Make the marathon an even 40,000 meters!

Or better yet, just Bring Back the MILE (AND the TWO Mile!!).

ADD:
                              I almost forgot!
                              If we're eliminating the mile in place of the 1600, then we'll need to change some names!

The Bowerman Sixteen Hundred Meter Run

The Wanamaker 1600!

The Dream Sixteen Hundreds

Come on, folks, hop to it!!

Write to the Millrose, Pre, and Adidas NY Meet Directors---NOW!!
                              Last edited by aaronk; 12-18-2015, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X