Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wPV Jr WR 15-2.75 (4.64) for NZ's Eliza McCartney

In Auckland today. Broke Angelica Bengtsson's i4.63.
    Good stuff.

she was most impressive at the Juniors in Eugene last year

Comment

While it may be a "WJ" record, it's NOT the Age 19 record!
      The OUTdoor record for 19 years old is Holly Bradshaw's (Bleasdale) 15-5 from 2011.

Comment

Watching the video, looks like a very short approach (7 lefts ?).

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
          Watching the video, looks like a very short approach (7 lefts ?).
          5 lefts is a short approach. 7 lefts is a very common one. 9 lefts would be very long (very far out - this isn't LJ where you can get away with a 12" short run. +/- a foot in a PV approach is bad).
          Last edited by Atticus; 12-19-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            The OUTdoor record for 19 years old is Holly Bradshaw's (Bleasdale) 15-5 from 2011.
            If Usain Bolt breaks the 100m WR in Rio, will there be a single newspaper around the world with the headline "Age 29 record for Bolt!" ? Just wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
              Watching the video
              Love the music

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/videos/w...ecord-heights/

Comment

PV is one of my favorite events -- that interest is matched by my near-total lack of knowledge about training, techniques, etc. So, I would be interested to read more from some of you who know this event -- you know who you are! -- about her record vault. I have watched the linked video, and I now know what has been posted above. Would be interested in any other observations. To my amateur eye -- and I mean these next comments as compliments to her -- that did not seem like a 19yo vaulter making a WJR vault. By this I mean: she made it look to me like "just another vault" by a very experienced vaulter. But I would be interested to know what the experts see. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I kinda like watching PV but know nuthing about technique and avoid working it unless it is an emergency. They keep knocking the damn bar off and it is a lot of trouble to put it back up.
                  Of course, some folks say that about raking the LJ pit.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                    Question to you Aaron. Why is it that you feel you MUST belittle the celebrating of an outstanding performance by this young lady. And given your propensity and love of using CAPS you also give the impression of pouring scorn on her performance.

I do not see anywhere where anyone has claimed that she set an age 19 record. And incidentally she has 356 days left to break that age record. By the way Holly Bradshaw was also 19 years and 8 months when she cleared her 4.70m.

Given that the NZ season has only just started, and given that Eliza's primary objective is Rio, she probably has a reasonable chance of exceeding 4.70m in 2016 BEFORE her 20th birthday.

Looking at the video of her clearance it seems that she had about 20cms to spare, thus seeting her up well for the rest of the next few months..
                    Last edited by Tuariki; 12-19-2015, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po View Post
                      that did not seem like a 19yo vaulter making a WJR vault. By this I mean: she made it look to me like "just another vault" by a very experienced vaulter.
                      A couple important dicta for the PV:

1. In practice, have certain keys you are working on. In a meet DO NOT THINK! Just run and jump.
                      2. You CAN try too hard. You should not be trying hard; you should just execute the technique.

So, ideally, it SHOULD just look like a good training jump. If you hit the plant just right, it becomes very easy and natural.

Kudos to her for having such good technique at that tender age. Very few her age do.

If you're quick, strong, coordinated, fearless and pick up technique easily (that's the killer part), PV is your event! If not, good freakin luck - it's the most frustrating event by far. Lots of things have to go right to jump high.

Comment

Thanks Atticus. Looks like she got it right!

Comment

Tuariki---

Not belittling her at all, nor her performance.
                          Just wanted to make my case---again---against such nebulous terms as "World Junior" (Masters, Youth, etc).
                          I congratulate her for getting that mark---which MOST in our sport recognize--and honor.
                          I don't.

But I agree---she'll probably get the Age 19 record before next December 11th!

She crushed her own PR---and NZ National Record, however!
                          Got it by 5.75 inches!
                          She'd just broken that record a few weeks (2 or 3?) ago---moving up from her previous PR of 14-7.25.
                          So she's now raised her PR by 7.50 inches in the past month or so!

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
                          I was thrilled by what she did!!

Comment

you get your wish…. the IAAF recently got rid of World Junior and World Youth categories…. they're now officially U20 and U18 :-)

(no, T&FN will not be following suit)

Comment

I believe the World Junior (and Youth) rules should be the similar to the Masters.
                              * For World junior record you have until the day before your 20th birthday
                              * For the world champs as long as you are 19 on the first day the champs
                              * world champs to be held between 1 September and 15 December (so as to ensure maximum chance to participate)

Comment

Working...
                              X