5. Sydney McLaughlin

Men
    ===
    1. Jianan Wang
    2. Yomif Kejelcha
    3. Robert Biwott
    4. Abdelalelah Haroun
    5. Alfred Kipketer

Khalifa St. Fort has a good chance with the T&T 4x1.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
      My picks

Women
      =====
      1. Candace Hall
      2. Dawit Seyaum
      3. Kayin Whitney
      4. Eliza McCartney
      5. Sydney McLaughlin

Men
      ===
      1. Jianan Wang
      2. Yomif Kejelcha
      3. Robert Biwott
      4. Abdelalelah Haroun
      5. Alfred Kipketer
      I'd add Vashti Cunningham to that list!
      And wouldn't be TOO surprised if Noah Lyles pops a sub-20 and makes the team too!

ADD: Oops! Just read the thread title again! You're talking medals! I was talking just making the team!
      Last edited by aaronk; 12-19-2015, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Vashti Cunningham is my #6 pick as a chance to medal. I just decided to restrict the list to 5.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
          I'd add Vashti Cunningham to that list!
          And wouldn't be TOO surprised if Noah Lyles pops a sub-20 and makes the team too!

ADD: Oops! Just read the thread title again! You're talking medals! I was talking just making the team!
          I would love to see Noah lyles do a sub 20 while his brother and Mike Norman go sub 45

Comment

If Candace hill continues to improve she may get gohr's WJR of 10.88 or is it held by Katrin krabbe

Comment

improvement curves projected from times of young teens is risky business indeed

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                improvement curves projected from times of young teens is risky business indeed
                True, but if you're picking the juniors with the best chance to medal it makes a certain amount of sense to pick those who have shown the most ability so far. The probability of the best may be ten percent but it may still be the highest.

Comment

Never mind: misread the intent of the thread.
                  Last edited by mcgato; 12-20-2015, 11:53 PM.

Comment

No love for Konrad Bukoviecki? Almost 21m this year and a continued improvement over the last years. Sky is the limit for this boy. He is unlikely to medal, but is a strong candidate for the final at least. Candace Hill ran sub 11 only once and, given she competes, I can't see her beat the likes of Gardner, Prandini, Jeter and others yet.

Comment

Of the 2015 juniors I think Bukowiecki is likely to dominate his event more than any other junior but not enough to reach the podium in 2016. However, he is so good with so much potential he could well make it.

Candace Hill and Kaylin Whitney were my selections because of the US relay team. If they can make the USA team then they are likely to medal in the relay - assuming they don't get the same disease that the US men inevitably seem to come down with. I would not have chosen either of them based on individual events.

Comment

the problem for Buckowiecki is that he has to improve by almost a meter using an implement that he has so far had to treat as a secondary (or even tertiary) option. To have a real Rio chance methinks he'd have to forgo all Junior competition and use only the big ball. But why at 18 should he do that and miss out on another World Junior gold?

Comment

the problem for Buckowiecki is that he has to improve by almost a meter using an implement that he has so far had to treat as a secondary (or even tertiary) option. To have a real Rio chance methinks he'd have to forgo all Junior competition and use only the big ball. But why at 18 should he do that and miss out on another World Junior gold?
                          Because at this point their may not be a world junior next year.

Comment

I think he should focus on the Olympics.

Because if they have the WJC, and presumably they will, then he can probably sleep walk to that title. Bukowiecki who was 1.63m ahead of Andrei Toader, the next best eligible WJC'er can probably win with just 2 throws - 1 x qualifier and 1 x final. And if the WJC are after the Olympics, then so much the better for him.

Only 3 cities in the race: Perth will almost certainly be post the Olympics. I wouldn't risk the health of the athletes on competing in India. And Bydgoszcz?? Do you think Poland might be persuaded to host them after Rio? Weather should be OK in late August. The high averages over 20 degrees C.

Comment

Bukowiecki has stated his goal was to make the top 8 in Rio. But he's definitely intent on doing the WJ (especially if they end up in Bydgoszcz, I would think), and is also after Jacko's WJR, so he won't forgo the 6k shot.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X