Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best t&f commentators and the races they called

My favorite commentators and the race(s) they called.

1) Jim McKay, ABC Sports, (his strength as a commentator and what separated him from everyone else is that when the Olympics came around, his voice reflected the historical significance of the moment. As an example: 1972 Olympic 5000)
    HIS CALL: 1972 OLYMPIC 5000. "...This could be an historic race. Let's see if it develops that way!" It sure was.

2) Adrian Metcalf (BBC commentator and former 400 bronze medalist)
    HIS CALL: 1974 Commonwealth Games, Christchurch, N.Z.
    Men's 1,500. Still in my opinion the most exciting of all time.
    His genuine astonishment at the suicidal pace that Bayi was setting gave me goose bumps!

3) Charlie Jones, NBC Sports
    HIS CALL: 1979 Oslo Mile. A star studded line up with an unknown miler Sebastian Coe winning in WR time. His prerace interviews help set the stage of one the deepest miles ever.

Al Michaels is my fav track commentator. Did the 84 Olympics and I believe the Trials that year as well. Not one particular race but many that year.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintdoc View Post
      Al Michaels is my fav track commentator. Did the 84 Olympics and I believe the Trials that year as well. Not one particular race but many that year.
      Hmmmmm. I can kind of, sort of agree with that.

Comment

The Italian guys that called Usain Bolt being taken out by a Segway. What foresight to still be calling the race! The excitement! The choice of words! lol

Comment

My all-time favourite duo was the CBC's Geoff Gowan and Don Wittman. For Canadian track fans, they were the iconic voices of the sport. And in my opinion, the best race they called was Ben Johnson's 1988 Olympic 100m victory. I used to listen to it while warming up for races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sKB8955n4U
          Last edited by JRM; 01-22-2016, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but....calling the race of a cheater should DQ them as well...if Johnson hadn't cheated they would have been calling a ho-hum Carl Lewis win.

Comment

Here comes Mills !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

McKay's calling of Dave Wottle's Munich 800 win.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                  Here comes Mills !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Bingo !!! but a minor edit : Look at, look at Mills !!!. Look at Mills !!!!!

(but who was that color commentator that nailed it while the narrator was missing the biggest lap in track history )

He closed 10 yards on Gamouti in the final 40 of that home stretch. Seen it 100 times and still cant stop the goose bumps.
                  Last edited by user4; 01-22-2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
                    (but who was that color commentator that nailed it while the narrator was missing the biggest lap in track history )
                    Dick Bank

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/ind...1964-race-call

Comment

While I also respected Jim McKay, it is difficult to label him among the best track announcers. Just go to YouTube and compare his commentary of the 1968 Olympic 1500 with that of the great David Coleman who was broadcasting on the BBC. McKay (along with Jim Beatty) never mentioned how Ben Jipcho was setting a torrid pace to burn off Jim Ryun. (On a side note, Beatty wasted valuable air time comparing the height and weight of Ryun and Bodo Tummler.)

As far as Charlie Jones goes, I can't get past how he and Frank Shorter (Shorter was probably more to blame) misidentified the winner of the 1988 Olympic 800.
                      Last edited by Chicago; 01-22-2016, 10:31 PM.

Comment

At the 1976 Games the announcer was touting the great record of John Akii-Bua. He asked his commentator how long he thought that that record would last - the reply from, I think OJ Simpson, was 47 seconds. It surprised the lead guy, but was validated 47.63 seconds after the start.

Comment

Who blew the call on Paul Ereng ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
                            As far as Charlie Jones goes, I can't get past how he and Frank Shorter (Shorter was probably more to blame) misidentified the winner of the 1988 Olympic 800.
                            Get past it. I thought Charlie Jones was the best tv track announcer of his day.

Comment

I totally agree. And Jones handled his error promptly, properly, and contritely.

Comment

Working...
                              X