Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adidas to end IAAF sponsorship deal early in wake of doping crisis

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/35385415

Nike will sign asap to fill this "void". No surprises here at all.

Nike will sign a 30 year contract at a fraction of the true value. Coe and Hightower will praise Nike for saving Athletics.

Everyone already predicted this, timeline has just moved up a little. I didn't realize adidas could get out of their contract. What a win for Nike.

Comment

if true (that BBC report notes that neither of the parties have actually commented yet), adidas perhaps a little bit hypocritical hanging in there as big FIFA sponsor.

Comment

It's hypocritical if that's truly the reason. My guess is they see this as a way to get out of a deal and use the money for something else. If it was a valuable deal to them they'd either stay pat or attempt to renegotiate.

Comment

Think Under Armour will try to come in, and at least compete against Nike?

Comment

The pessimist in me sees this as a potential disaster for the athletes. I'm not sure there's any company (or even combination of companies) that might be willing to spend as much as adidas does. And I don't just mean for the IAAF sponsorship; I'm concerned they'll cut back on their individual-athlete/national federation sponsorships as well. Leaving Nike more room to lowball people if there's no big competition.

Comment

Soccer is worth the trouble, T&F is not. Adidas spent almost a billion Euro for a 10 year deal with Manchester United, their sponsorship for the German national team is up in two years and is rumored to be worth the same amount and Nike is also bidding. I'm guessing they simply can't afford not to sponsor the FIFA.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                Think Under Armour will try to come in, and at least compete against Nike?
                The Under Armour contract that they just signed with Wisconsin is for more per year than the IAAF/adidas contract. Yes, that includes two "big sports" (FB, BB) and Under Armour came out of Maryland for Wisconsin is a valuable Big Ten sign up, but still, that might keep it in perspective of whether UA can bid on this.

Comment

I said months ago that the whole Nike situation smells big time. The "track town usa" farce is just a way for them to make more money. WC's should be moved out of Eugene.

Comment

What exactly did Adidas get out of this deal? I watched the entire Diamond league last summer on tv and the WC and don't remember an Adidas presence at all. Nike yes with the U.K. and U.S. uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                      The pessimist in me sees this as a potential disaster for the athletes. I'm not sure there's any company (or even combination of companies) that might be willing to spend as much as adidas does. And I don't just mean for the IAAF sponsorship; I'm concerned they'll cut back on their individual-athlete/national federation sponsorships as well. Leaving Nike more room to lowball people if there's no big competition.
                      adidas has been cutting back for years. The scandal just gave them the opportunity to cut their losses sooner. Look how many countries Nike sponsors now. Buying up votes for the next contract.

We all lose when the marketplace stops being competitive.

Comment

So here's my question... if the IAAF fights this in court, it will drag on for some time and probably will be ugly.

If they agree to part ways, would it be possible for Nike to ink a new sponsorship in time for World Indoors? With World Indoors in their backyard in less than 2 months, you have to think they are keenly interested for the opportunity to get in there.

It's a crappy thing for adidas to renege on their contract, but is it worth it for the IAAF to fight it? A Nike-controlled track world is inevitable, is there any point in resisting?

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                          A Nike-controlled track world is inevitable, is there any point in resisting?
                          Sounds like a question---POV----that NO woman should ask!!
                          MACE Nike!

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
                            I said months ago that the whole Nike situation smells big time. The "track town usa" farce is just a way for them to make more money.
                            Making money is what business corporations do. That's what their owners, the shareholders, want them to do. In a capitalist system, there's nothing wrong with that, assuming of course that companies do nothing illegal in order to make the money. I don't think there's anything illegal about TrackTown's existence or about their activities.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                              Nike will sign a 30 year contract at a fraction of the true value.
                              What is the 'true value' in this case? And if it's as huge as you suggest, why is no other company willing to outbid them?
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X