Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and if adidas wasn't paying "true value" all these years, why didn't they get outbid by Nike in the first place? This conspiracy theory stuff cracks me up.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
      It's a crappy thing for adidas to renege on their contract
      It's a crappy thing for the IAAF to accept bribes and hide drugged athletes.

Comment

This may not be happening at all. According to a German newspaper Adidas is currently in talks with the IAAF about the whole reform process.
        http://www.zeit.de/news/2016-01/25/l...ntakt-25105202

Comment

Originally posted by cubehead View Post
          What exactly did Adidas get out of this deal? I watched the entire Diamond league last summer on tv and the WC and don't remember an Adidas presence at all. Nike yes with the U.K. and U.S. uniforms.
          I believe the adidas sponsorship does not include the Diamond League--just the various IAAF Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            and if adidas wasn't paying "true value" all these years, why didn't they get outbid by Nike in the first place? This conspiracy theory stuff cracks me up.
            No I'm not saying the adidas contract was undervalued, I'm saying that if Nike signs a long contract at bargain basement prices, and the sport rebounds, Nike will be getting a steal.

I guess my best hope is that the IAAF will sign a short contract with Nike so we can see where things are in a few years and renegotiate.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
              I believe the adidas sponsorship does not include the Diamond League--just the various IAAF Championships.
              Thanks for a response. But it still is confusing what Adidas ever got out of it. I went to Pre and that is obviously a Nike affair, and on tv it was the Golden Age with all of the Diamond meets plus a few others live on BeIn Sports. And then the WC were live on line every day. And I don't remember Adidas at all. Nike seemed to be everywhere. Team uniforms,etc. The only exception was of course Bolt in Puma.

Adidas sponsors ManU this year after Nike had sponsored them for years. And there they seem to get a lot out of it.

Comment

Okay from the Dentsu article on the front there is a picture at the WCs and Adidas has their name on the stands around the track. But who really notices stuff like that with the athletes all wearing Nike. I certainly didn't and I suspect I am not alone. Especially on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
                  I said months ago that the whole Nike situation smells big time. The "track town usa" farce is just a way for them to make more money. WC's should be moved out of Eugene.
                  I'd say just the opposite. The 21 WC, now that adidas is out of the way, will be all Nike, all the time. In this case, what's good for Nike is good for USATF.
                  Last edited by Atticus; 01-25-2016, 05:06 PM.

Comment

The fact that Dentsu is hanging in there is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by cubehead View Post
                      Okay from the Dentsu article on the front there is a picture at the WCs and Adidas has their name on the stands around the track. But who really notices stuff like that with the athletes all wearing Nike. I certainly didn't and I suspect I am not alone. Especially on TV.
                      But of course the IAAF doesn't control what the athletes wear. The individual national federations do. And Nike has contracts with many of the major federations, including USATF.

That makes Nike very visible when the camera is doing a close-up on a particular athlete or athletes. But all long shots of the arena, including shots of the competition around the oval, will show the adidas billboards (and those of the other major IAAF sponsors) very clearly.
                      Last edited by tandfman; 01-25-2016, 06:51 PM.

Comment

So they are just another sponsor, like Toyota etc.

So Adidas is sponsoring an event to showcase athletes wearing Nike products.

My guess this is some marketing decision and may or may not be related to the Russians.

I'm not trying to be contrarian here. I just never noticed Adidas signs since Nike is so ubiquitous on team uniforms.
                        Last edited by cubehead; 01-25-2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

"Adidas is just one of the IAAF's official partners, along with Canon, Toyota, Seiko, TDK, TBS and Mondo."

I can see the others getting involved.
                          And it sounds like they are staying, but the Adidas deal with Man U is £750m. I think they are just using the drug thing as an excuse. Especially so, as gh noted, that Adidas has no problem hanging their reputation with FIFA.
                          Last edited by cubehead; 01-25-2016, 09:34 PM.

Comment

This is huge. I wonder what it would take for the selfish athletes that cheat their rivals and the fans to wise up and compete clean? The doomsday clock on this sport is ticking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
                              This is huge. I wonder what it would take for the selfish athletes that cheat their rivals and the fans to wise up and compete clean? The doomsday clock on this sport is ticking.
                              People cheat. They cheat in every facet of life. Because of this we have entities which are chartered to catch them at cheating. When those entities are corrupt there is no chance to catch the cheats. The problem is never the cheaters. They are the given, like the sun rising and setting. The problem is always the cops*. And the people paying the cops.

* I'm using cops as a generic. I don't expect them to catch drug cheats.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                I'd say just the opposite. The 21 WC, now that adidas is out of the way, will be all Nike, all the time. In this case, what's good for Nike is good for USATF.
                                The Adidas contract would have ended in 2019 anyway, so 2021 was never going to be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X