Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read a German article today which mentioned an interesting fact. Adidas released a statement saying they don't condone doping of any kind, which is interesting because there was no mention of not condoning corruption. The author assumed this was done on purpose to avoid being asked about all the corruption within the FIFA and why Adidas doesn't take a stance there. He concludes it's all about money, soccer is the only sports where Adidas is doing better than Nike and they can't afford to lose that. Which might also explain why Adidas invested in the IAAF in the first place, it may have simply been because "If we have it Nike can't get it".

Comment

I am a little surprised it took this long for sponsors to bail.

Comment

nobody has bailed yet

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
          The Adidas contract would have ended in 2019 anyway, so 2021 was never going to be an issue.
          That may or may not be true. It might be an issue if adidas actually wanted/wants to renew the contract.

A business-oriented friend of mine says that many if not most long-term sponsorship contracts of this kind include a right of first refusal. That would give adidas the right to match any Nike offer. If they really want to keep the sponsorship (and enjoy seeing all those adidas billboards at Hayward Field and all over TrackTown) they may have the upper hand, if the existing deal includes a right of first refusal.

It may well not come to that, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            That may or may not be true. It might be an issue if adidas actually wanted/wants to renew the contract.

A business-oriented friend of mine says that many if not most long-term sponsorship contracts of this kind include a right of first refusal. That would give adidas the right to match any Nike offer. If they really want to keep the sponsorship (and enjoy seeing all those adidas billboards at Hayward Field and all over TrackTown) they may have the upper hand, if the existing deal includes a right of first refusal.

It may well not come to that, of course.
            Ha, I hadn't thought of that. That would be rather comical seeing Adidas signs all over Hayward Field and Eugene. Pictures of Pre at Munich in Adidas plastered everywhere...

Especially after spending gobs of money to refurbish the place. Now that is something that would get noticed!

Uncle Phil would have nightmares!
            Last edited by cubehead; 01-26-2016, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              nobody has bailed yet
              At best the BBC journalists Roan and Daly were premature with their report, at worst, in their enthusiasm for a headline (this led BBC radio news headlines for 12 hours) they've cut some journalistic corners and not verified their sources.

These guys have form. Daly did the one hour TV programme last year that had all the allegations about Salazar. I found that imbalanced and sensationalist. The lifting of one quote from that paper Salazar presented on assisting performance and not explaining the context was indicative that either Daly is a bit thick or he was purposefully trying to mislead the audience. I gather that the BBC Sport News team (now led by Roan) had been trying to dig dirt on Farah since 2011 (initially instigated by David Bond, much to the frustration of the team (including Cram) that present the sport on the channel). The coverage given to Salazar's response was negligible. Not the journalistic balance you normally get from the BBC. These guys are trying to create stories rather than report on them. Daly in particular wants to make his career on the back of this - fair enough as long as that enthusiasm doesn't blind him to inconvenient facts that don't fit his stories.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
                People cheat. They cheat in every facet of life. Because of this we have entities which are chartered to catch them at cheating. When those entities are corrupt there is no chance to catch the cheats. The problem is never the cheaters. They are the given, like the sun rising and setting. The problem is always the cops*. And the people paying the cops.

* I'm using cops as a generic. I don't expect them to catch drug cheats.
                Your point is well taken, but not complete.

If the victims--the peers of the cheaters--showed some courage and confronted the cheaters, there is every chance that the vast majority of the cheaters would either be pressured out of the sport or wise up.

I blame the victims as much for this sorry state of affairs as the cheaters.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                  At best the BBC journalists Roan and Daly were premature with their report, at worst, in their enthusiasm for a headline (this led BBC radio news headlines for 12 hours) they've cut some journalistic corners and not verified their sources.

These guys have form. Daly did the one hour TV programme last year that had all the allegations about Salazar. I found that imbalanced and sensationalist. The lifting of one quote from that paper Salazar presented on assisting performance and not explaining the context was indicative that either Daly is a bit thick or he was purposefully trying to mislead the audience. I gather that the BBC Sport News team (now led by Roan) had been trying to dig dirt on Farah since 2011 (initially instigated by David Bond, much to the frustration of the team (including Cram) that present the sport on the channel). The coverage given to Salazar's response was negligible. Not the journalistic balance you normally get from the BBC. These guys are trying to create stories rather than report on them. Daly in particular wants to make his career on the back of this - fair enough as long as that enthusiasm doesn't blind him to inconvenient facts that don't fit his stories.

The highlighted must be the joke of a youthful 2016

Comment

Originally posted by cubehead View Post
                    Ha, I hadn't thought of that. That would be rather comical seeing Adidas signs all over Hayward Field and Eugene. Pictures of Pre at Munich in Adidas plastered everywhere...
                    It's already happened. The World Junior Championships in 2014 were held at Hayward Field. The big swoosh at the top of the scoreboard was removed or covered up, there were adidas billboards around the track, and I believe on various banners and posters promoting the event in Eugene. Nike and Uncle Phil survived this and the world did not come to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by OneWay View Post
                      The highlighted must be the joke of a youthful 2016
                      Glad I could amuse you re. journalistic balance at the BBC. I reckon the majority of the population think the BBC is biased .. .. .. .. .. but can't agree if it is pro-right or left; pro-Israel or anti-semitic; too PC or ignorant of minority rights. Google, 'BBC bias' and see how they are attacked equally from all sides of the political and social spectrum. That tells me that on the whole they aren't too bad. But clearly you know better.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        It's already happened. The World Junior Championships in 2014 were held at Hayward Field. The big swoosh at the top of the scoreboard was removed or covered up, there were adidas billboards around the track, and I believe on various banners and posters promoting the event in Eugene. Nike and Uncle Phil survived this and the world did not come to an end.
                        That's good to hear. I forgot about that meet at Hayward.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                          Glad I could amuse you re. journalistic balance at the BBC. I reckon the majority of the population think the BBC is biased .. .. .. .. .. but can't agree if it is pro-right or left; pro-Israel or anti-semitic; too PC or ignorant of minority rights. Google, 'BBC bias' and see how they are attacked equally from all sides of the political and social spectrum. That tells me that on the whole they aren't too bad. But clearly you know better.
                          What a joker; any person or group who could ever think that the BBC is pro-right and pro Israel is not just a stupid fantasist but is in dire need of a brain transplant. The BBC on TV and Radio is and has been over the last decades a hotbed of pro-left wing, strongly unthinkingly anti Israel, middle class, overpaid holier than thou sanctimonious twerps.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyg View Post
                            What a joker; any person or group who could ever think that the BBC is pro-right and pro Israel is not just a stupid fantasist but is in dire need of a brain transplant. The BBC on TV and Radio is and has been over the last decades a hotbed of pro-left wing, strongly unthinkingly anti Israel, middle class, overpaid holier than thou sanctimonious twerps.
                            Evening Jeremy. I was checking you were there. Hope you're keeping well!!

Comment

turn this political and the thread will be locked and vacations will be handed out. You have been warned.

Comment

Good thing Coe stepped down from his paid Nike gig, now he can fairly and objectively lead the organization in a new direction and negotiate the best possible contract with Nike.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/othe...-34395101.html

Comment

Working...
                                X