• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) No to staggers in the 400m
    2) No to mixed relays
    3) Yes to Sprint and Distance Medley
    4) No to 4 attempts in field events. Sprinters get "one and done"

Comment

1. No. If we're going to add an event, I think there are better options.

2. Hell no. This would look like roller derby, and make luck a factor. I don't want to see the best runner lose because he/she got clipped or tripped.

3. It depends on what you replace it with. One-turn stagger? No. Two-turn stagger? Meh. Four-turn stagger? Yes.

4. No. Pole vault competitions are already too long.

5/6. I like this concept for distance races but not field events. There's an event like this in track cycling, and from personal experience, I can say it's as much fun to watch as it is to compete in.

7. Yes.

8. Hell yes. I've been waiting years for this to happen.

Comment

It's not April 1.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok View Post
          It's not April 1.
          The joke may be on you. I see lots of support for

3. Get rid of 3-turn stagger in 4x4.
          7. Add DMR (SMR) to OG/WC.
          8. Mixed-sex relays.

The PTB should at least look into these.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
            Would 4 tries in the vertical jumps improve the competition or just let people like me enjoy more of the spectacle?
            I'd prefer 4 TOTAL jumps/throws in a competition over 4 attempts at each height.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
              I'd prefer 4 TOTAL jumps/throws in a competition over 4 attempts at each height.
              Same as I'd prefer that the 1500 and 5000 be cut to 400 meters, cuz that's all they race anyway.

Comment

We used to do an "endless" relay in practice...As you handed off the baton after your 100m, you then took over that position and waited for it to come back around.

It'd be kinda cool to see a 4x4x100 relay so each leg has to run each of the 4 positions. I wonder if you'd use 100m guys or 400m guys in that scenario.

Comment

A lot of meets adopt the 4 attempt format for horizontals and throws... makes for shorter competition and eliminates re-ordering for finals and juggling against other events

Comment

Four total jumps in the verticals would result in many, many no-heights as everyone would be compelled to try for winning heights vs. trying safe ones. Whoever went last would have a huge advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      A lot of meets adopt the 4 attempt format for horizontals and throws... makes for shorter competition and eliminates re-ordering for finals and juggling against other events
                      That depends on how many competitors there are. More than 30 and you really don't save any time.

Comment

Regarding the Mixed Sex relays suggestion, would that be in place of the current relay or in addition to the current relay?

If its in addition to, wouldn't it be more novelty than anything? The top guns would be on the main relay leaving the alternates to the race (which would be pretty dismal aside from the US and Jamaica).

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                          That depends on how many competitors there are. More than 30 and you really don't save any time.
                          True. 30 minimum is about right but you save warm up before finals, ordering time... unless you have a recorder who can run a bubble and can jump out of order..

Personally, I believe three prelims and three finals is a better competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Four total jumps in the verticals would result in many, many no-heights as everyone would be compelled to try for winning heights vs. trying safe ones. Whoever went last would have a huge advantage.
                            Yet still better than 4 jumps at each height, which was the context of my comment. I have little problem with the current format.

Comment

I think in large meets, four jumps at a given height would largely impact the first couple heights to any real degree. For most people, they are going to go over on an early attempt or they are going to go out. Most people aren't going to take 4 jumps for more than 1 or 2 heights.
                              Last edited by Dave; 02-06-2016, 01:25 AM.

Comment

4 jumps is too few, but maybe a middle ground would be putting a limit on total number of misses in a competition. What about 3 total misses instead of 3 attempts at a height. That way athletes could still enter at a lower bar, but it puts the premium on makes at those heights. A clean jumper would still get the 3 attempt rule at the high bar as the rules currently allow, but it would add strategy to a jumper that has early misses to possibly pass a bar and not risk getting their 2nd or 3rd miss if someone else has already cleared it on a 1st attempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X