Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I for one do not think it is broke.
    Back in your (my) day, T&F was high on the USA sports pedestal. It ain't no more. I would say that's something that bears fixing - not that we'll ever get there again, but we sure as heck can do better than we're doing now!!!

Comment

We haven't gone down, it is just that football and basketball zoomed up.

Comment

Okay....thats one way to look at it...

Comment

I have decided against the 50m outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by br View Post
            In Beijing's men's HJ final last year, there were 14 competitors. A total of 96 attempts were made with 59 misses in 1h:51m. The average for the 14 competitors was 6.85 attempts with 4.21 misses. 13 out of 14 made the first 2 heights, but only 6 made the third height (Bondarenko passed, but made the next height). Of the bottom 7, 1 failed at the second height and 6 failed at the third. The bottom 7 accounted for 42 jumps after 3 heights compared to 23 for the top 7. Had the field been reduced to 8 for the final, a great chunk of time and effort wasted at lower heights would have been eliminated.

http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaa...p/final/series
            On the other hand, a qualifying competition to find 8 athletes would take longer than one to find 12.

Comment

Originally posted by cubehead View Post
              I am not so sure about the 50. Where would you start it? The obvious spot means half the stadium won't see anything.

I think the middle of the infield would be cool.
              I am ambivalent about a shorter than 100 sprint race outdoors at the senior level. But why wouldn't the 60m make more sense than the 50m?

Comment

Clearly the shorter sprint to add would be the 40y dash... lol

Comment

To speed things up in the jumps a simple solution would be to use two jumping pits at the same time. It's already being done in qualification and the multi events.

In the throws one should look at ways for measuring the distance quicker.
                  Last edited by MDelano; 02-08-2016, 08:02 AM.

Comment

In the throws they are already using laser devices that have sped up the measurement.

Comment

There is so much more I can post to back up my statement that Track "ain't broke." But to keep it short, thousands and thousands of young people participate and love Track at the Grass Roots and in Div 1,2, and 3 colleges. If the Ignorant Public wants to be obsessed with professional football and basketball and not care about Track, so what ?!

And as for instituting gimmicky changes in event procedures, I stand by my original asswertion of ain't broke, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen View Post
                        I am ambivalent about a shorter than 100 sprint race outdoors at the senior level. But why wouldn't the 60m make more sense than the 50m?
                        I'm less ambivalent on this and I think it may be gh's best proposed addition. We've all seen people who are clearly superior at 50-60m to those who rule 100m outdoors. Imagine what it would be like if they had incentive to continue to sharpen the short sprint. As it is now, the indoor season doesn't pay well and the goal is always the 100m. Guys like Bracy, Kilty, Chambers (in the past), etc. who are great at 60m (better than Bolt, Gay, Gatlin, even Powell) but only good at 100m would have a chance to shine and it would be fun to watch.

Comment

1. Yes. Swimmers get multiple distances (and multiple medal opportunities) for the same stroke, why not sprinters? 50m or 60m would be fine.

2. No to replacing with 500m.

3. Okay.

4. This sounds like change for the sake of change. No.

5/6. No.

7. If a SMR is added as well, sure.

8. Yes. I've always liked this idea. 2 male, 2 female. Team decides run order.
                          Regards,
                          toyracer

Comment

Mixed Relays? - PT Barnum has arrived at a track near you.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                              There is so much more I can post to back up my statement that Track "ain't broke." But to keep it short, thousands and thousands of young people participate and love Track at the Grass Roots and in Div 1,2, and 3 colleges. If the Ignorant Public wants to be obsessed with professional football and basketball and not care about Track, so what ?!

And as for instituting gimmicky changes in event procedures, I stand by my original asswertion of ain't broke, etc.
                              I agree at the high school and college level it seems relatively fine. I have nieces and nephews who have, and still do, compete at D1.

It's beyond that that seems perilous. Pretty much dependent on the whims of a shoe company.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                                Clearly the shorter sprint to add would be the 40y dash... lol
                                You laugh....indoors I would definitely go with the 40. It would fit nicely inside my 110 yard track.

Comment

Working...
                                X