• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Thursday PV is in a different building

Comment

this release shows the PV layout in the Oregon Convention Center

http://portland2016.com/tracktown-us...out-milestone/

Comment

Are they hurting for funds and can't afford to rent out a 2nd venue for the PV?

Also, is the PV still free? I was just going to go to the PV so I never bought tickets.

EDIT: looking at it, it looks to be "free" for anyone who bought tickets for any other sessions. Looks like I'll probably buy a pair of single session tickets I won't use unless someone knows more about it.
        Last edited by Cooter Brown; 02-19-2016, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
          this release shows the PV layout in the Oregon Convention Center

http://portland2016.com/tracktown-us...out-milestone/
          Thanks gh.

Comment

your thanking me was premature, because I was confusing some things (aided in no small part by some bad online information).

But consider this definitive: all 4 days of competition (and the Opening Ceremony on Thursday( are in the Oregon Convention Center. There is no competition at Moda.

The front page of Portland2016.com currently has a story about the Opening Ceremony and PV competition for March 17.

Presently there are two ways in which people can get a ticket to the PV competition:
            1. Buy an all-session ticket package.
            2. Buy a single session ticket to any of the other sessions on March 18–20 and request the complimentary ticket to the PV at the time of purchase.

Anyone who previously bought a single session ticket but did not request the complimentary ticket to the PV can call Tickets West at 1.800.992.TIXX to request their ticket.

The Portland PV story also contains this: <<Stay tuned for an upcoming announcement regarding a limited number of remaining seats available for this exciting opener to World Indoors!>>

Comment

sad that the PV is no longer a free event. oh well, I was unsure that they'd be able to get much public interest on anyway, but I just loved the idea of bringing in the public to an NBA arena to watch my favorite event.

I wonder why the change of plans. Lack of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
                sad that the PV is no longer a free event. oh well, I was unsure that they'd be able to get much public interest on anyway, but I just loved the idea of bringing in the public to an NBA arena to watch my favorite event.

I wonder why the change of plans. Lack of interest?
                The venue changed because of logistics. It was a combo of complications with having the pole vault clinic there all day, and complications with getting all of the infrastructure set up there... mixed zone, drug testing, etc etc. I don't think it was any one thing, I think as things came together they just felt that it made more sense to have the pole vault at the Convention Center.

As of a week ago, they have not decided whether or not they would be charging for the pole vault-only tickets to those who did not purchase tickets for other sessions. It probably depends in large part on how many are left.

I think they underestimate how many pole vault fans have little interest in the sport of track and field and are either unable or unwilling to watch the other sessions, and how quickly $30/ticket (cheapest single session price) adds up if you wanted to bring the whole family.

I will be there Thursday for the pole vault even if I have to call in every favor in the world for childcare (none of my family can watch the kids). If my sister-in-law doesn't get a job by then and is able to watch the kids all weekend, I'd stay down the whole time, but most likely I'll have to drive back up after the pole vault.

Comment

Thursday is not _just_ the pole vault, it will also be the Opening Ceremonies for the whole Championships

Comment

More confusion: our packet contained:
                    1)two tickets to each session, INCLUDING the March 17 session consisting of the Opening Ceremony (no, thanks) and the M and W PV;
                    2)ONE larger "ticket" that reads: "You are cordially invited to THE OPENING CEREMONIES and the first night of competition on Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM at the Oregon Convention Center," and, at the bottom "Please join us for a special start to the IAAF WORLD INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS PORTLAND 2016";
                    3)one pamphlet that is almost 100% advertising, but does include a competition schedule.

So, I don't know what the big additional "ticket" means, if anything.

Hey, maybe in line with gh's suggestions for "improving" athletics, they should hold the pole vault events on NE MLK ave. and NE Grand Ave, which run parallel to each other on the east side of the Convention Center. Each athlete would have to wait for a break in the cross traffic to start his/her approach! >:-) People would love it!

Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    Woodland, CA

Comment

I picked up 2 of the $30 FRI 10:30 session tickets so my daughter and I can see the PV on THU. If anyone wants those FRI tickets, let me know.

Also, the THU tickets say it starts at 7 not 6. Which is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post
                        I picked up 2 of the $30 FRI 10:30 session tickets so my daughter and I can see the PV on THU. If anyone wants those FRI tickets, let me know.

Also, the THU tickets say it starts at 7 not 6. Which is it?
                        The Opening Ceremonies start at 6 or so. The actual pole vault competition is like 7:05. They want the 6:00 time promoted so that people are not arriving halfway through the Opening Ceremonies.

Comment

Is warm up at 5 and then an hour break for some lame ass ceremony?

Comment

They are vaulting on the infield, I assume the ceremonies will primarily use the track, but I did not ask that question specifically.

Comment

i have zero use for ceremonies (opening or closing), and have given away what I guess must be thousands of dollars of worth of tickets thereto through the years, but nonetheless, they're huge for the general public, and something that the sport needs to stay alive. sorry about that

Comment

for an easy-to-follow meet schedule, check out the one we did

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/ima...rldIndoor2.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X