Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allie Ostrander 8:54.27

Guessing not record-eligible since it's UW, but all-tracks Am Jr best, right?

http://www.gohuskies.com/fls/30200/t...160212F017.htm

not eligible for indoor record, but is eligible as the Absolute (i.e., in/out combined) AJR.

Comment

Allie's DOB is December 1996, so she is not a Junior.

Second place finisher Stafford from Canada is only 20 years old herself and ran 20 seconds faster than her listed best (indoor and outdoor).

And in men's race Grant Fisher, freshman by class and who is a Junior by age, beat a good field with a time that would be well up the all time "absolute" American Junior list: 7:50.06.
      player
      Last edited by player; 02-14-2016, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by player View Post

And in men's race Grant Fisher, freshman by class and junior by age, beat a good field with a time that would be well up the all time "absolute" American junior list: 7:50.06.
        I think you mixed up Fisher with Matthew Maton, who ran the same 3:59.38 mile time as Fisher last year as a HS senior.
        Maton was born in 1996 (Not sure of month & day!), so he is, or will be 20 this year, even though he's a college frosh.
        Fisher was born April 22, 1997, so he's now 18, the proper age for a college frosh!

Comment

I understand the source of your confusion, aaronk, but I meant what I said. I'm using "junior" in the sense it is used in the rest of the thread and the way the rest of the world uses it. Or did until IAAF switched to U20.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            he's now 18, the proper age for a college frosh!
            There is no proper age for a college frosh.

Comment

Second place finisher Stafford from Canada is only 20 years old herself and ran 20 seconds faster than her listed best (indoor and outdoor).
              True, but she did run a 4:29 mile last weekend.

Comment

I understand the source of your confusion, aaronk, but I meant what I said. I'm using "junior" in the sense it is used in the rest of the thread and the way the rest of the world uses it. Or did until IAAF switched to U20.
                My bad!
                I thought you meant junior as in 3rd year of school!
                OOPS!

Comment

Who would be commenting in any fashion on the age of a college junior?

Comment

our solution to that "problem" is that a third-year student (be it college or HS) is a junior (lower-case), whilst what the IAAF now calls a U-20 is a Junior (upper-case).

Comment

Ostrander's time does put her on the all-time collegiate list, at the head of the "US Additions" (so #11 overall), bumping Angela Bizzarri off the list.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
                        There is no proper age for a college frosh.
                        And if there were, it would be 19, as most HS grads are 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          And if there were, it would be 19, as most HS grads are 18.
                          Maybe a better term would be typical age of a college freshman.

Comment

Yeah, basic math says that most HS grads are not 18 (assuming that the distribution of birthdates is relatively even). You wouldn't get to "most" until July.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                              Yeah, basic math says that most HS grads are not 18 (assuming that the distribution of birthdates is relatively even). You wouldn't get to "most" until July.
                              As you know, I'm into exact age records, not youth or junior, etc.
                              But about HS ages, why do you think Jack Shepard has only ages 14 through 18----NOT 19!----in his listing of HS Age Records in his HS Annual book??

Comment

Working...
                              X