Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adidas Grand Prix New York Meet Scuttled

adidas has ended it's affiliation with Icahn Stadium, and opted instead to put on a "street event". Details are scarce but obviously New York will lose it's Diamond League meet, currently on the IAAF schedule for 2016(June 18)

http://www.globalathletics.com/2016/...das-Grand-Prix

Edit: Rabat, Morocco to replace New York in DL (May 22)
    Last edited by guru; 03-03-2016, 11:14 AM.
    There are no strings on me

More on what a "street meet" means:

http://www.ibj.com/articles/52023-to...wntown-streets

Everyone who has always hated watching distance runners do laps now has his wish.

Comment

tweet by Phil Hersh

Philip Hersh
      Dead sport walking, alas

Comment

A "Street Meet"?
        Semantics.
        It's a "Road Race" meet!

Not sure, but aren't Road times NOT eligible as Qualifying marks for Championship meets?
        Even if they ARE, it wouldn't matter, as most people run slower on the roads--at least from the Mile through 10K.

Payton Jordan might become more important than ever!
        As a distance running fan---25 laps on a track are NOT boring to me!---I say BOO to this "attract the youth" idea!!

Comment

When was the last time you saw anyone running 25 laps at the New York DL meet?

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
            When was the last time you saw anyone running 25 laps at the New York DL meet?
            True, that!
            Or in ANY Diamond League meet!!

But I just don't see how a Road 10K will be any more attractive (to youth, or anyone) than a track 10K.
            And how many US 10K runners will choose to run on NY streets---at a time so close to the OT's?

Comment

I don't see anywhere in the NYC info that they are planning a 10K of any kind around that meet. Are you perhaps looking at the Indianapolis story instead?

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                I don't see anywhere in the NYC info that they are planning a 10K of any kind around that meet. Are you perhaps looking at the Indianapolis story instead?
                Neither mentioned a 10k. The NY article mentioned "distance" races and said plans would be announced in April for, apparently, a June street meet.

Too much being read into the article by one or some.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                  Neither mentioned a 10k. The NY article mentioned "distance" races and said plans would be announced in April for, apparently, a June street meet.

The press release linked in my original post states the "Dream Mile" will be among the events contested. How it will be conducted will be interesting(straight line, ala 5th Avenue, or laps around...something lol).

And I agree I dont know where people are getting a 10K out of that release from Global Athletics

Comment

I hope they go to the effort to get the pole vault runway level and surveyed so that marks can count.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                      I hope they go to the effort to get the pole vault runway level and surveyed so that marks can count.
                      They could always put it on a barge in the harbor lol

Comment

Losing this meet is a bummer for local fans.

Comment

More evidence that New York is no longer near the top in world sports

Comment

What a horrifyingly stupid thing to do. And in an Olympic year no less when this meet had a chance to attract some serious names and a even bigger crowd. "Street meets" seems to me to be just the sort of momentarily trendy "cool event" junk that's going to fade pretty quickly. And it's hard to see many big names wanting to participate in such a thing so close to the OT and various other countries' national selection-related events.

We're pretty much down to having the entire sport in this country confined to the greater Eugene area.
                            Last edited by Al in NYC; 03-05-2016, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                              Payton Jordan might become more important than ever!
                              As a distance running fan---25 laps on a track are NOT boring to me!---I say BOO to this "attract the youth" idea!!
                              Especially some of the brilliant displays we've been treated to at Jordan over the last few years. Chris Solinsky's "linebacker world record" of 26:59 in 2010 stands out, but there were many others ...

Comment

Working...
                              X