Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should NCAA Superstars skip NC's for USATF?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should NCAA Superstars skip NC's for USATF?

The list of NCAA "Superstars" isn't as short as you'd think!

Men
    Ronnie Baker (60)
    Michael Cherry (400)
    Donavan Brazier (800)
    Devon Allen (60H)
    Brad Adkins (HJ)
    Jake Blankenship (PV)
    Ryan Crouser (SP)

Women
    Courtney Okolo (400)
    Raevyn Rogers (800)
    Molly Seidel (3000)
    Quanesha Burks (LJ)
    Keturah Orji (TJ)
    Raven Saunders (SP)

Will Akela Jones be competing at WC for Barbados?
    Hasn't Kendell Williams been placed on US team for Heptathlon?

Hmmm, let me see. Let's ask their college coaches, who have TOTAL control over which meet they should enter . . . the one they have been given a scholarship to go to?

Comment

AFAIK, Seidel has no Worlds qualifying standard, so it would be strange to even consider choosing USATF over NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Hmmm, let me see. Let's ask their college coaches, who have TOTAL control over which meet they should enter . . . the one they have been given a scholarship to go to?
        Beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
          Beat me to it.
          Well then, please, next year---change the schedule!!
          Same with the NBIN for top HS'ers!

The top Collegians (& HS'ers) should be able to go to BOTH meets!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            The WIC is a not a big deal to many world elites, so why should it be to college coaches or their athletes?

Comment

I agree with aaronk...what's the point of having the two national meets on the same days? It would be interesting for fans to have the top NCAA athletes in the USATF meet, and good experience for the younger athletes and maybe a chance for a PR.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                AFAIK, Seidel has no Worlds qualifying standard, so it would be strange to even consider choosing USATF over NCAA.
                Neither does Adkins.

Comment

Well then, please, next year---change the schedule!!
                  Same with the NBIN for top HS'ers!

Which meet are you moving?

Comment

I don't get it. Why can't they compete in both? Didn't Devon Allen win both the NCs and USATF two years ago? Sure, it's a bigger load to have to peak twice and that might be a good reason to move future Trials and USATF meets a bit closer to one another. This year there will be roughly a three week gap between the two meets. But as others have said, collegiate athletes are beholden to their teams and coaches and as a college fan I would find it disappointing to miss seeing the best college athletes in action at the NCAA's.

Comment

Outdoors is a different story. The NCAAs have always preceded the US Nationals, and I can't remember any eligible NCAA athlete ever skipping the NCAAs for the US Nationals/Trials. And there are very few NCAA athletes who have a decent chance of making a US team who stop competing after the NCAA meet when there is a team (World or Olympic) to make.

Comment

I was talking about this year's INdoor schedule!!
                        Both meets are on the same days---this Friday & Saturday!
                        Would've been doable if the NC's were a week earlier!

ADD: Look at the USATF entries!
                        Right now, Crouser has the best SP mark in the country--Pro or amateur!
                        So does Orji in the TJ, Saunders in the SP, Okolo in the 400, and Brazier in the 800!
                        In fact, Saunders's mark is 2nd only to Val Adams's recent
                        OUTdoor 63-9 and an earlier INdoor mark by the Chinese woman!
                        aaronk
                        Last edited by aaronk; 03-08-2016, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I was talking about this year's INdoor schedule!!
                          Both meets are on the same days---this Friday & Saturday!
                          Would've been doable if the NC's were a week earlier!

ADD: Look at the USATF entries!
                          Right now, Crouser has the best SP mark in the country--Pro or amateur!
                          So does Orji in the TJ, Saunders in the SP, Okolo in the 400, and Brazier in the 800!
                          In fact, Saunders's mark is 2nd only to Val Adams's recent
                          OUTdoor 63-9 and an earlier INdoor mark by the Chinese woman!
                          The NCAA's are not going to be a week after conference indoors. Those two meets affect, potentially, far more athletes than the limited number who can compete in the USATF meet if the schedule better fit AaronK's pipedream.

This assuming that the qualified athletes are interested in going to the USATF meet in the first place when they might not be.
                          NotDutra5
                          Last edited by NotDutra5; 03-08-2016, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Dutra---"AaronK's pipedream" isn't the problem!
                            What's the problem is that people don't take the INdoor WC's seriously enough to care about getting the BEST athletes on our team!
                            Crouser has the best US mark--as do the others I mentioned!
                            Why wouldn't they think they could make the team---and WANT to do it--if they could?
                            What happened to the pride of being on a WC team--whether OUTdoors or INdoors??

And don't bring up the OG--or the OT's!
                            The Trials are about 100 days after the WC's end!!
                            Plenty of time to re-peak!

Comment

aaron, you're laboring under the misconception that those on the collegiate side (be they coaches or athletes) particularly have a meet like the World Indoor on their radar. Never have, never will, and the collegiate calendar isn't in any way constructed with that meet in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X