Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIC Day 4

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I don't buy that because not only did she watch the third leg unfold with Okolo pulling away from the field, but she also had the big video screen to look at as she went around the track. Okolo could have put it on cruise control but she didn't, and I'm sure she and the rest of the team could have used the extra $12,500 a piece that would have come with the world record.
    What's that I hear? Sounds like the angry cry of an Internet Loon.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by booond View Post
      What's that I hear? Sounds like the angry cry of an Internet Loon.
      I'm not going to get into trading insults with you. I realize that's your things, but I'm too old for that sort of juvenile thing.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
        I don't buy that because not only did she watch the third leg unfold with Okolo pulling away from the field, but she also had the big video screen to look at as she went around the track. Okolo could have put it on cruise control but she didn't, and I'm sure she and the rest of the team could have used the extra $12,500 a piece that would have come with the world record.
        American Record? The world record is a full 3 seconds faster than what these ladies ran.

        And I think back to when SRR pulled a similar move in London on the anchor when they were so far out yet she had a "subpar" leg even with all her experience.

        Just for reference, I do think Spencer's leg was very very sub par, but I'm just backing a possibility for why.

        Comment


        • #49
          If Allyson Felix had decided to run, at least the relay, I think the WIR could have gone. The last leg was awful, with her sub 48 outdoor relays I think Felix could have run 49 mid and anchor a world record mark.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Sasuke View Post
            If Allyson Felix had decided to run, at least the relay, I think the WIR could have gone. The last leg was awful, with her sub 48 outdoor relays I think Felix could have run 49 mid and anchor a world record mark.
            Those same four women if pushed could have challenged that record. If challenged I'm sure Okolo could've dropped a sub 50 and I'm certain Hayes and Spencer are capable of 50 point splits.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by ATK View Post
              American Record? The world record is a full 3 seconds faster than what these ladies ran.

              And I think back to when SRR pulled a similar move in London on the anchor when they were so far out yet she had a "subpar" leg even with all her experience.

              Just for reference, I do think Spencer's leg was very very sub par, but I'm just backing a possibility for why.
              Oops! You're right, I was confusing the WR with the AR. Spencer isn't that fast.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by booond View Post
                What's that I hear? Sounds like the angry cry of an Internet Loon.
                another attack like that and you're history.

                Comment


                • #53
                  relay splits (of course, if you received eTN you'd already know this)

                  4 x 400
                  FINAL (3/20)
                  1. United States 3:02.45 (WL, AL) (3 W, A)
                  (Kyle Clemons 46.47, Calvin Smith 45.66, Chris Giesting 45.34, Vernon Norwood 44.98);
                  2. Bahamas 3:04.75 NR (#8 nation)
                  (Michael Mathieu 46.8, Alonzo Russell 45.6, Shavez Hart 46.6, Chris Brown 45.8);
                  3. Trinidad 3:05.51 NR (=#10 nation)
                  (Jarrin Solomon 47.4, Lalonde Gordon 45.1, Ade Alleyne-Forte 46.8, Deon Lendore 46.2);
                  4. Jamaica 3:06.02
                  (Ricardo Chambers 46.9, Dane Hyatt 46.7, Demish Gaye 46.7, Fitzroy Dunkley 48.2);
                  5. Nigeria 3:08.55
                  (Noah Akwu 48.5, Chidi Okezie 46.6, Abiola Onakoya 46.5, Samson Oghenewegba 47.0);
                  6. Belgium 3:09.71
                  (Dylan Borlée 47.1, Jonathan Borlée 45.5, Robin Vanderbemden [drop] 51.7,
                  Kevin Borlée 45.4).

                  4 x 400
                  RESULTS (3/20)
                  1. United States 3:26.38 (WL) (7 W, 2 A)
                  (Natasha Hastings 51.89, Quanera Hayes 51.02, Courtney Okolo 50.71,
                  Ashley Spencer 52.76);
                  2. Poland 3:31.15
                  (Ewelina Ptak 54.6, Malgorzata Holub 51.9, Magdalena Gorzkowska 53.0,
                  Justyna Święty 51.7);
                  3. Romania 3:31.51
                  (Adelina Pastor 54,1, Mirela Lavric 53,1, Andrea Miklós 52.7, Bianca Razor 51.6);
                  4. Nigeria 3:34.03
                  (Margaret Bamgbose 54.2, Regina George 52.4,
                  Tameka Jameson 53,5, Ada Benjamin 53.9);
                  5. Ukraine 3:40.42
                  (Anastasiya Lebid 55.9, Olha Bibik 54.4, Anastasiya Bryzhina 55.6,
                  Dzhoys Koba 54.5);
                  … dnf—Jamaica
                  (Patricia Hall [fell], Chris-Ann Gordon,
                  Anneisha McLaughlin, Stephenie Ann McPherson).

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Those bashing Spencer seems to be agenda driven or lacking understanding of relay running or just plain so hungry for a record that logical thinking has been cast aside.

                    Natasha Hastings 51.89......this was her ONLY race of the Championships

                    Quanera Hayes 51.02.....the other teams were close enough to warrant an all out run

                    Courtney Okolo 50.71....her ONLY race and a lot to prove plus just a relay beast

                    Ashley Spencer 52.76....her 4th race in 3 days with a 20m lead. An anchor's job is to get to the tape first she did that.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by OneWay View Post
                      Ashley Spencer 52.76....her 4th race in 3 days with a 20m lead. An anchor's job is to get to the tape first she did that.
                      That's a fair point. I had forgotten about the condensed format for this meet. In a typical outdoor championships, those four races would be spread out over 8-10 days.
                      Last edited by jazzcyclist; 03-23-2016, 03:18 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by OneWay View Post
                        Those bashing Spencer seems to be agenda driven or lacking understanding of relay running or just plain so hungry for a record that logical thinking has been cast aside.

                        Natasha Hastings 51.89......this was her ONLY race of the Championships

                        Quanera Hayes 51.02.....the other teams were close enough to warrant an all out run

                        Courtney Okolo 50.71....her ONLY race and a lot to prove plus just a relay beast

                        Ashley Spencer 52.76....her 4th race in 3 days with a 20m lead. An anchor's job is to get to the tape first she did that.
                        Closer to a 40m lead. And, yes, logical thinking has been tossed aside.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          One thing to remember is that Hayes had to run just as many races and as Spencer, but ran nearly two seconds faster. However, Spencer did her job and the WR was out of reach anyway, since I seriously doubt that she had a sub-50 run in her legs.

                          The point I was getting at earlier is that some people can time-trial (run fast when they're all alone) better than others for the same reason that some people can practice with more intensity than others. It's a psychological thing, not a character thing. Allyson Felix might be one such person since she's run better on relays when she's gotten the stick way ahead (and in one in stance way behind) than she has in open 400's. On the other hand, Sanya Richards has never run the relay times that he open 400 pedigree would suggest, except for 2013 when she led off and had to race rather than time trial.

                          EDIT: It can't be overstated what a monumental fete the 1993 men's team accomplished when they set the outdoor WR, when you consider the fact that the leadoff was more than a second faster than the next fastest leadoff, and they won by almost six seconds. There was some serious time-trialing going in that race!
                          Last edited by jazzcyclist; 03-23-2016, 04:09 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            It's possible Spencer could have been feeling some tightness in her legs which had her play it safe as well. I had no problem with her leg.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I can't understand the quibbling about what the anchor leg ran with a 30 meter lead. At that point in the race there are two objectives:

                              Don't drop the baton
                              Don't go out too hard and blow up

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by HopStepJump View Post
                                I can't understand the quibbling about what the anchor leg ran with a 30 meter lead. At that point in the race there are two objectives:

                                Don't drop the baton
                                Don't go out too hard and blow up
                                She could have accomplished this by splitting 57, so where do you draw the line? Or perhaps you don't draw a line as long as they win gold. By the way, though the $$$ of the WR might have been out of reach, isn't the AR something worth chasing in that scenario?
                                Last edited by jazzcyclist; 03-23-2016, 05:14 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X