Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HopStepJump View Post
    I can't understand the quibbling about what the anchor leg ran with a 30 meter lead. At that point in the race there are two objectives:

Don't drop the baton
    Don't go out too hard and blow up
    There ya go. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
      She could have accomplished this by splitting 57, so where do you draw the line? Or perhaps you don't draw a line as long as they win gold. By the way, though the $$$ of the WR might have been out of reach, isn't the AR something worth chasing in that scenario?
      And you think that the anchor runner looked at the running clock as she took the baton, then summoned up the AR in her head and subtracted to do the math on just how fast she needed to run?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        And you think that the anchor runner looked at the running clock as she took the baton, then summoned up the AR in her head and subtracted to do the math on just how fast she needed to run?
        I doubt that any runner has ever done what you described but I also doubt that any record has ever gotten broken unless all four runners put the hammer down.

Here's the central question that I think we're debating: Is there such a thing as "respectable relay split" for the winning team? Would it have been kosher for Spencer to split 57?

Comment

And if my math is correct she had to make up 0.49 (legs 2 and 3 were slower than those in 2014) from her teammates. Maybe if they ran faster she'd have a simpler job.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
            One thing to remember is that Hayes had to run just as many races and as Spencer, but ran nearly two seconds faster. However, Spencer did her job and the WR was out of reach anyway, since I seriously doubt that she had a sub-50 run in her legs.

The point I was getting at earlier is that some people can time-trial (run fast when they're all alone) better than others for the same reason that some people can practice with more intensity than others. It's a psychological thing, not a character thing. Allyson Felix might be one such person since she's run better on relays when she's gotten the stick way ahead (and in one in stance way behind) than she has in open 400's. On the other hand, Sanya Richards has never run the relay times that he open 400 pedigree would suggest, except for 2013 when she led off and had to race rather than time trial.

EDIT: It can't be overstated what a monumental fete the 1993 men's team accomplished when they set the outdoor WR, when you consider the fact that the leadoff was more than a second faster than the next fastest leadoff, and they won by almost six seconds. There was some serious time-trialing going in that race!
            Generally true. Norwood had as big of a lead and splt 44.9 which is a lot faster than the 45.8 in the open 400. Like u stated some people in the relays run better up front and some need the competition to run a fast leg. Johnson and wariner put some amazing anchor legs despite a huge lead. As far as the 1993 Wch team that was a dream team. I was in the stands and remember it like yesterday!

Comment

Originally posted by tm71 View Post
              Generally true. Norwood had as big of a lead and splt 44.9 which is a lot faster than the 45.8 in the open 400. Like u stated some people in the relays run better up front and some need the competition to run a fast leg. Johnson and wariner put some amazing anchor legs despite a huge lead. As far as the 1993 Wch team that was a dream team. I was in the stands and remember it like yesterday!
              And how many 400s did Norwod run this past weekend before his 4x4 split?

Comment

I know the answer - 0. He ran a 399 earlier in the meet but no full 400s.

Comment

Originally posted by tm71 View Post
                  Dibaba easily wins the women's 3k. Defar second and Rowbury third.
                  Why did Diaba run 3k? Why is she saying that she will run only 5k at Rio?

The 1500/800 double is reasonable at Rio, so an 800 at Portland would have given her experience in a championship 800. The 5000 at Rio is unreasonable because two Ethiopians finished ahead of her in the 2015 WC.

She had won a 1500 and a 3000 at previous WICs, so another 3000 win seems to be useless to her. She had said that she would run 5000 only at WC, but selectors entered her in the 1500 and the 5000. I hope that they enter her in 1500/800 at Rio.

Comment

We have yet to see Genzebe run an 800 race. I know she ran a super fast split in Beijing, but it's too early to make her the Olympic gold medal favorite. Lest we forget, Sifan Hassan's split wasn't that much slower, yet she failed to even make the final in the 800.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                      We have yet to see Genzebe run an 800 race. I know she ran a super fast split in Beijing, but it's too early to make her the Olympic gold medal favorite. Lest we forget, Sifan Hassan's split wasn't that much slower, yet she failed to even make the final in the 800.
                      True, but Hassan was coming from three rounds of 1500m (and in the last one her last 800m were all-out) and PRed in the semifinal, not making the final. I guess in a well paced race, in great conditions (like Monaco), and in top shape, Hassan could run 1.56 high. Dibaba a bit faster, I'd say something like 1.55; I don't think much faster, since Faith Kipiegon ran 1.58.02 in Rieti and her final split was similar to Hassan's and Dibaba's.

Comment

Working...
                      X