Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new 4-attempt system for round 6

LJ is a perfect example, why the new format is bad, first six within 12 cm, all six could win it with their final jump.

Originally posted by norunner View Post
    LJ is a perfect example, why the new format is bad, first six within 12 cm, all six could win it with their final jump.
    Nothing wrong with the new system - it is what it is. You gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere (excuse the pun). The simple reality is that #5 and # 6 should have jumped further in the first 5 rounds. And in the old system #9 and #10 should have jumped further in the first 3 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
      Agreed. For me it's a little like only allowing the top 6 to play the last round of a golf tournament when 20 were within 5 shots of the lead after 54 holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
        Nothing wrong with the new system - it is what it is. You gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere (excuse the pun). The simple reality is that #5 and # 6 should have jumped further in the first 5 rounds. And in the old system #9 and #10 should have jumped further in the first 3 rounds.
        There is a big difference between round 3 and 6, 6 being the final one that will decide the medals. At a World championship (not this one, so for Portland that format actually worked) you got more than four absolute world class athletes in every event and all eight in the final have the potential to win a medal. Eight attempts in the final round is a lot more suspenseful than just four.

Comment

Agreed. This was a close competition all around. I think this new format is a terrible idea; especially for a World Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
            I'm not saying it is unfair to the athletes as it is the same for everyone. However, I think it is a big mistake in terms of creating drama, you take out 4 jumps that saves a small amount of time but actually significantly reduce the chances of anything dramatic actually happening in the final round.

Comment

new 4-attempt system for round 6

needs its own thread

Comment

the boo-birds of the new methodology are apparently unclear on the concept and it's execution.

You do realize that this must be the first meet in history in which the final 4 attempts in the field events (except the vertical jumps, by necessity) were spotlighted and every fan got to see every one of them in real time with no track events going on, right?

This is a quantum leap forward in field-event presentation.

With just 4 attempts a window can be created where the oval racing can be shut down without pissing off TV (the 500-kilo gorilla in the room) and the climactic part of the competition is center-stage.

The best last-round thing of the meet was probably Michelle Carter in the wSP, and if they didn't have the new highlight system in place, I'm guessing the chances of her put not happening during a race, and seen by ony the hardcore is greater than 50-50.

The chances of seeing all the final attempts live (which happened) is less than zero without the new system.

If you disagree, then you're hereby prohibited from ever complaining about the sport's needing to market itself better.

This is a palpable step forward.

The next step is to have fewer people in the final to begin with, and to pare down the number of people in each round even earlier.

Comment

If the goal is to shorten the event, I have no problem with limiting the number of competitors but once admitted all finalists should have the same number of chances.
                  You save four minutes? If you can predict the final throw or jump coming at precisely the time running events start, just start field events four minutes earlier.
                  Admittedly, eight to finals is an arbitrary (but well established) number. Many competitions take nine to finals. Somewhere in the rules, number of field event finalists is prescribed as same number as finalists in running events or number of lanes on track.. or something.
                  I just don't like the idea of cutting the field after five attempts. Four minutes is nothing in a four or five hour track session.
                  Just my opinion.
                  Last edited by lonewolf; 03-23-2016, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                    the boo-birds of the new methodology are apparently unclear on the concept and it's execution.

You do realize that this must be the first meet in history in which the final 4 attempts in the field events (except the vertical jumps, by necessity) were spotlighted and every fan got to see every one of them in real time with no track events going on, right?
                    It's not the first. The formula was introduced a few years ago at the European Team Champs. And it didn't work as intended, either. In at least a couple of instances, there were other events going on at the same time as the final round and not all of the final four attempts were show on TV live (or at all).

With just 4 attempts a window can be created where the oval racing can be shut down without pissing off TV (the 500-kilo gorilla in the room) and the climactic part of the competition is center-stage.
                    If four attempts is the biggest window that can possibly be created in which TV concentrates on a field event, I've got another idea: let 8 people jump/ throw in the final round, and show the last 4 of them live on TV.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

However, I didn't got to see the last 4 attempts in each event. For example, in the mSP they didn't show Bukowiecki's attempt. And I still wonder what's wrong with showing a small window with a field event going on while the big screen focuses on the running events. My mother, who follows track scarcely, was very bored by having to see a tactical 3k heat or even the final (which became interesting only well after its beginning) while the field events where going on. Random audience prefers seeing jumps than middle distance. Or at least, the random people I know.

Comment

Wait a minute. This 4-attempt system is supposed to become a reality at outdoor competitions??!!

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                          It's not the first. The formula was introduced a few years ago at the European Team Champs. And it didn't work as intended, either. In at least a couple of instances, there were other events going on at the same time as the final round and not all of the final four attempts were show on TV live (or at all).

Absolutely. And those vertical jumps rules at The European Team Champs are even worse but if someone from the IAAF likes it we might see it in the future. I hope not.

Comment

This is a quantum leap forward in field-event presentation.

The chances of seeing all the final attempts live (which happened) is less than zero without the new system.

If you disagree, then you're hereby prohibited from ever complaining about the sport's needing to market itself better.

This is a palpable step forward.

The next step is to have fewer people in the final to begin with, and to pare down the number of people in each round even earlier.
                            No it's not the first meet in history. So mush is achievable with just a little wider timetable as it was for Helsinki 2012 Euro.
                            Fans of every event should be able to see as much as possible LIVE and that does not mean 4 instead of 8. After all, major championships are once or twice a year.

During Diamond League we in most cases can't see field events live, just previously recorded top three positions. How much our sport has to do to fit TV?!

To pare down the number of people in each round earlier? Why not just call 8 people to major championships based on their season best preferably achieved in Clermont.

Andrew Howe could have easily been in fifth place after round 5 and not in forth postion(one cm if I remember) and I wouldn't have seen this in that case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLYthaSrU_s

Comment

This proposed change and it's supposed aim to help market the sport better is a complete red herring. Reducing final round attempts is not going to suddenly make a fan fall in love with the SP. You either like field events or you do not. If you aren't prepared to take your eyes off a 5000m race for the few secs it takes an athlete to through the shot, you're never going to be a fan.

I have a great idea. Let's have trap doors at the 80m mark on the 100m straight and the 'last' 4 at that mark can be dropped onto a crash matt and only the other 4 get to finish the race. Why the eff should field events have this ridiculous rule applied to them, whilst track runners get an equal chance at going for gold? This isn't to make field events more appealing, it's simply to show less of them. I am not in favour.

The sport doesn't need to change event rules to attract fans. There are lots of other things it can do to improve the image of field events without cutting the number of attempts or competitors. If they are that concerned about the audience missing the drama, then schedule the track races around the final round of the field event. If that means, say, having a bigger gap between heat 3 of the 400m and heat 4, to fit all 8 attempts in, then so be it. The poor track-only fans will have to wait an extra, what, 4 mins until the track race?

Comment

Working...
                              X