Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Records better than Collegiate Records

Noticed in the May T&FN that Vashti Cunningham set the HS indoor HJ record at 1.99 the same month that Akela Jones tied the college indoor HJ record at 1.98.

Makes me curious - indoor or out, how often has a HS record trumped a collegiate record?

Interesting question...I don't know off hand the college record at that time but Ryun's 3:55.3 is one.

Comment

Gerry Lindgren and Jim Ryun had a few HS records superior to the CRs at the time.

Comment

Of course Ted Meredith set the 800 WR in high school in 1912, but since he was 20 at the time I'm not sure about that one.

Comment

Bob Mathias must be one in 1948.

Comment

With high school imp[lements?

Comment

Originally posted by nmzoo View Post
              With high school imp[lements?
              No, international. I'm not sure there were any decathlons with HS implements in 1948.

Comment

Felix's 22.11 wasn't better than Sowell's 22.04 from '89, but would still be number 2 on Collegiate A-T list!!
                What was Collegiate 10000 record in 1979?
                Better than Shea's 32:52.5??

Comment

Originally posted by cubehead View Post
                  Bob Mathias must be one in 1948.
                  not to piss on Bob's parade, but in that era, being the decathlon record holder was about as significant as being the best in the backwards triple jump.

put more kindly: not enough data points for a relevant comparison

Comment

Kathy McMillan's HS 22-3 was a national record so I suppose it was better than the collegiate record.

Mary Shea's 10,000m was also an American record at the time so, again, I imagine it was better than the collegiate record.

Not sure if any non US collegiates would have been better than either although for different reasons, I would doubt it in either case.

Comment

Mary Decker's 2:01.8ic 800m in Feb. '74 as a 15yo HS soph was a WR. Not bettered by a collegian for another 20 years and, as of this writing, would rank solidly in the all-time collegiate indoor top ten. It is still, by a significant margin, the American HS record.

Decker ran her mark on a 160y track. The handful of superior 800m marks on the current collegiate all-time list may all have had the benefit of being run on larger tracks.
                      Last edited by player; 04-07-2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Bob Mathias's 1948 best of 7222 was good, of course, but not otherworldly; Jack Parker of Sacramento Junior College scored 7281 at the 1936 Trials. If Mathias's HS best was better than the non-JUCO collegiate best, that was more a fluke than anything; and as gh implied, the decathlon wasn't a regular event on either the high school or collegiate level.

(If the decathlon had been a regular NCAA event, Bill Watson would probably have put the collegiate record out of sight in '38 or '39.)

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                          not to piss on Bob's parade, but in that era, being the decathlon record holder was about as significant as being the best in the backwards triple jump.

put more kindly: not enough data points for a relevant comparison
                          I won't argue with that.

Comment

In 1958 at the Compton Relays, Dave Davis of USC set an NCAA shot record of 60-6. The next thrower was a high schooler from North Phoenix HS, Dallas Long, who popped a 61-1/2 to top the brand new NCAA record. Then, in 1959 the 18 year old Long broke the world's record with a heave of 63-2.
                            Last edited by is 74 really old?; 04-07-2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Was Rey Brown's 7'-3" from 1968 better than the collegiate record?

Comment

Working...
                              X