Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Kerley from nowhere

I wonder how many people (who have seriously run the event) have ever improved their 400 PR like he did last weekend, from 46.38 to 45.10? And the 46.38 is from 2 years ago (I'm assuming he was hurt last year).

Totally off the wall. wow

Ran it from lane 3, with Taplin as his lead out in lane 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elm0cSyvz-o

The Kerley name sounded familiar but took a while for me to place it. His brother Jeremy has played in the NFL for the last few years and was on the free agent market this past month, signing with the Detroit Lions.

On some looking around, I note that there are other Kerley siblings and the family is something of an athletic institution at the local high school. Jeremy K made the Texas state meet three times in the triple jump, finishing as high as second place, with a listed best of 14.76. During the same spring sport seasons, he was also playing baseball well enough to be offered a Stanford scholarship (chose to play football at TCU).

For his part, Fred, of course, also played football (it's Texas) and was center on the basketball team. Made the state meet in the 200m as a junior. Also has triple jump on his high school resume with a best of 13.90.

Windy 20.74 as a juco freshman in 2014 showed some promise. And still only 20 years old at this writing (turns 21 in May)

Will be a good story if he can make the next step. He'll have a cheering section at the big meets for sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUX5zve2FPc

Comment

Quite a size difference between he and Jeremy, who lists at 5-9.

Comment

Its taking a second from 45.1 that's difficult. Likely he has changed his tactics, or improved his workouts. Its not impossible. You could make up half that time in the first 150 just settling in correctly.

Comment

Digging this thread back up...

Fred's brother, My'lik, is at Stephen F. Austin and has quite the range of talents. He has run high 1:48 in the 800 this year, and high jumped 6-9.5 at the conference meet.

Comment

Thanks for that mention. I saw stories about My'lik the high school basketball player; didn't notice his track exploits. Now that you point it out, I see he took silver in the 400m at Pan Am Juniors last year in Edmonton (46.33) and has run 46.40 this year.

He's one year younger than Fred, so he'll always have another year to catch up to what older bro is doing.

Comment

Fred and My'lik both advanced from regionals to Eugene in the 400m. My'lik made the biggest splash in the 4x400, anchoring in 44.75 to lead Stephen F Austin to a heat win over Baylor. Fastest posted split of the day (legs 3 and 4) and the only sub-45.

Under all of the circumstances, perhaps as big of a shocker as Fred's 45.10 in April.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                I wonder how many people (who have seriously run the event) have ever improved their 400 PR like he did last weekend, from 46.38 to 45.10? And the 46.38 is from 2 years ago (I'm assuming he was hurt last year).

Totally off the wall. wow
                And now look where he is....

Comment

Missed this little Twitter gem from him a couple of days ago:

I’m running 42 and 19 this year
                  I believe the 19.
                  The 42 . . . a little tougher.

I do believe he has the talent, and Wade VNk has given him a blueprint, but still . . .

Comment

Working...
                  X