Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Besides Eugene, what are good venues for NCAAs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Besides Eugene, what are good venues for NCAAs?

Since my suggestion for Philly was shot down, what are the best places for the meet outside of Eugene? I'm guessing a list would include these places:

1. Texas (Austin)
    2. Arkansas (Fayetteville)
    3. LSU
    4. Drake
    5. Boise

Others:

Ohio State?
    Florida (Gainesville)
    Jacksonville

I'd love to say Knoxville, but I don't think we deserve it with our facility.

What about Cal (Berkeley)? They have a great facility, however it is fairly old and needs some work. Too bad they don't spend the money to fix it for a big meet like the NCAA Championships.

Comment

One problem with the first 3 places BillVol mentioned (Texas, Arkansas & LSU) is the potential for violent weather at that time of year--T storms or worse. Of course that can happen in lots of places in the middle of the country.

I agree with DoubleRBar about Berkeley. I've always thought that would be an ideal venue for championship meets (NCAA and USATF). But since the '70s, they haven't seemed at all interested in hosting such things. Too bad, because it's a nice-sized stadium in a major metropolitan area with nearly perfect June weather.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
        Indianapolis, Indiana.

They used to host the USA outdoor Championships there.
        From 1983 to 2007, they had 5 USA outdoor championships and 1 Olympic Trials there. But since that time, they've replaced the grass infield with artificial turf. I'm not sure that it would be possible to hold an NCAA or USATF meet there anymore. In any event, it seems that it's been more than 10 years since they've bid for anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol View Post
          Jacksonville
          Great facility, but the personnel infrastructure isn't there. They do an adequate job with the East Regional prelims, but hosting the Big Show is a big step up they might not be able to master. UF in Gville could do it if they wished, but the will is lacking. FSU is in too tight a space to do it.

Comment

I think UF in Gainesville only holds about 2000 (maybe 2500) people in their stands. Unless things have changed since I left.

Comment

North Carolina A&T puts on a good meet, has plenty of capacity but I don't like the way they do the discus and the hammer.

Comment

Unbelievably, LSU has to come off the list of potentials because the NCAA says it doesn't have enough seating.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  Unbelievably, LSU has to come off the list of potentials because the NCAA says it doesn't have enough seating.
                  Yeah, when they expanded the footprint of the Pete Maravich Assembly Center, it encroached on the area that was used for temporary seating in 2002, and now the fire marshal forbids them from putting up temporary seating in that area, and they haven't been able to come up with another feasible way to expand the capacity.

However, this shouldn't prevent LSU from hosting the 1st Annual SEC Relays next year, which I hope they get.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Great facility, but the personnel infrastructure isn't there. ....
                    This, of course, is the 500-pound gorilla in the room, and the main reason that there have traditionally been so few bidders for the meet.

Finding a school that has the volunteers to staff such a meet, and—even more importantly—can fund some very competent person to honcho the whole thing, then bids simply aren't forthcoming, no matter how good your facility is.

Forget Nike conspiracies re Eugene: the reason that Hayward has such a good history of hosting the meet going back to the early '60s, is the Oregon TC, which doesn't get nearly enough credit for its role in these kinds of things.

Comment

The main issue faced by non-Oregon and non-Texas sites is the existence of a group willing to put in the work to put on the meet. That includes a solid officials organization and a host of other needs.

Outside those concerns:

UCLA's Drake Stadium seats 11,000 and seems to be a good spot.

Sacramento was a decent host

SportsBacker Stadium (VCU) in Richmond, Va. is intriguing

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        From 1983 to 2007, they had 5 USA outdoor championships and 1 Olympic Trials there. But since that time, they've replaced the grass infield with artificial turf. I'm not sure that it would be possible to hold an NCAA or USATF meet there anymore. In any event, it seems that it's been more than 10 years since they've bid for anything like that.
                        The reason ? SOCCER !! Track will never happen there again... The track is still there, that's it.

Comment

I thought Bloomington was a good venue (1997), but I understand from gh's comments here and in many other threads on this topic that it must also be lacking in the crucial needs (even though it hasn't been mentioned so far this time around). I have pretty much accepted Eugene as the (near-)permanent venue. So be it -- if they consistently seek the responsibility/opportunity, and they put on a good meet, and they fill the stands, that's OK with me, for NCAA and other championships.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol View Post
                            Since my suggestion for Philly was shot down, what are the best places for the meet outside of Eugene? I'm guessing a list would include these places:

Ohio State?
                            I can speak to this one.

Plusses: good facility with 10,000 seating. Lots of good officials in Ohio. Mid-June is Ohio's best weather, warm sun and cool air. Lighted field.

Minuses: shot/discus/hammer not currently held in-stadium, although they could be. Concourse under the stands is too small for big crowds. The home team is consistently the worst among the truly big-money NCAA programs, so turnout could be very light. And the biggest minus: OSU athletic administration has never given a damn about track and field and likely never will.

Comment

It does seem like most of the country is weeded out by A.) Capable of holding the event and B.) Willing to hold the event. Once those two are boiled away you get to the amenities, which Eugene seems to have over the rest, especially filling the stands so the organizers don't have to order 10,000 cardboard cutouts and stream in artificial noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X