Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pego View Post
    You call it PC, I call it gutless fear of litigation. No matter what we call it, we agree that it sucks.
    Agree with this view.

Comment

Political correctness is destroying everything

Comment

It's fascism from the other direction

Comment

Interesting that the modern day version of Stella Walsh is happening and the response is....oh well.

Comment

Is it a foregone conclusion that Semenya will compete in w800m @ Rio...the IAAF/IOC will not put a stop to this nonsense?

Comment

Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
              Is it a foregone conclusion that Semenya will compete in w800m @ Rio..?

No. Unless the IOC rules have changed since London, they can, after an official investigation request is filed, judge someone with Semenya's "advantages" ineligible to compete in the Olympics.

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Com...genism-eng.pdf
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                You call it PC, I call it gutless fear of litigation. No matter what we call it, we agree that it sucks.
                I have not followed this closely and do not agree with the CAS decision. However, what I recall was that the 'authorities' had not really presented evidence of an unfair advantage and that the CAS ruling was that until there was such a finding that "they" could compete. Can someone fill us in on the details in this regard? I might be that we are in a (hopefully) temporarily flawed competitive world in this regard.

Comment

Semenya's case is perhaps somewhat unclear as authorities refuse to disclose much in the way of details, in order to protect, so I understand, Semenya's privacy. And on the one hand that is perfectly understandable.

The Dutee Chand situation seems rather more clear as there is a bit more information out there.

Androgynism is something that occurs naturally. And so, in no way can anyone claim that those athletes who who are androgynous are cheating. But if Semenya is androgynous then it would appear to be unfair on female 800m runners. And, I am guessing you will never convince the world's top female 800m runners that Semenya isn't androgynous.

What is the answer? I don't know. But watching Semenya in Doha yesterday suggests that Semenya was just playing around. In an evenly paced race with men I would not be surprised if Semenya got down to 1m 50s.

Is Semenya female? The IAAF says Semenya is. However, Semenya does not meet my definition of femaleness - but I acknowledge my definition doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                    What is the answer? I don't know.

As far as the Olympics, it's simple. Someone needs to file for an investigation of Semenya's physical status by the IOC, as noted in the link above. I suspect this has already happened, and would be very surprised if Semenya is allowed to compete in Rio (in her current physical status)

Comment

My guess is she'll be in Rio. If she's not due to inquiry, we'll never know the reason why she's not.

Comment

By IOC rules, the only way Semenya will be competing in Rio is if no one files for an investigation per IOC hyperandrogenism rules, or the investigation is completed and finds that Semenya is, indeed, all woman.

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
                          By IOC rules, the only way Semenya will be competing in Rio is if no one files for an investigation per IOC hyperandrogenism rules, or the investigation is completed and finds that Semenya is, indeed, all woman.

The London link you provided above is outdated. See the below link dated November 2015 (post-Dutee v. Chand) and, in particular, Section 2 of the document:

"2) Hyperandrogenism in female athletes.

In response to the interim award dated 24 July 2015 in Chand v AFI and IAAF
                          CAS 2014/A/3759, the IOC Consensus Meeting recommended:

Rules should be in place for the protection of women in sport and the
                          promotion of the principles of fair competition.

The IAAF, with support from other International Federations, National
                          Olympic Committees and other sports organisations, is encouraged to
                          revert to CAS with arguments and evidence to support the reinstatement of
                          its hyperandrogenism rules."

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Com...ogenism-en.pdf

The suspension of the IAAF's hyperandrogenism rules by CAS suspends their operation for the Olympics. The suspension can only be lifted if IAAF "reverts" to CAS with the demanded additional supporting evidence, which I have seen no indication of happening.

CAS ruling is here (see paragraph 548 at close of ruling):

http://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/use...d_internet.pdf

The revised IOC statement linked above does provide for testosterone testing on transgender males transitioning to female but that is of no avail with regard to athletes who have always claimed a female identity.

Comment

Thanks for that update player. It certainly appears there's not much that can be done to prevent Semenya from competing in international championships until the IAAF answers CAS's concerns, which as you say is not very likely to happen before 2017

Comment

might other runners threaten boycott of w800m?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                                Speaking of whom, where's Bondarenko, MIA from the HJ!
                                Will be in Shanghai.

Comment

Working...
                                X