Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adidas BOOST Meet--May 13-14

Saw an interview (transcript of) with Mike McManus, the Adidas PR guy, about this meet---which I hadn't heard about before!
    Sounds GREAT----IF all he says comes to pass.
    Here's a list of who he says will be there--

Jenn Suhr (PV to be held at Adidas grounds, 1 mile from stadium!)
    Yohan Blake
    Warren Weir
    Nickel Ashmeade
    some of Terrence Mahon's BAA group, including--
    Jen Rhines
    Emma Bates
    Chris O'Hare
    Tori Bowie
    Meseret Defar, who he infers might go for a sub-30:00 10000!!
    a Men's 10K set up to go sub-27:00!
    German team's 800 & 1500 "Olympic Selection" races, which sounds like attempts to reach OG Q times!

He said it's free to attendees, and that he hopes to announce a free livestream for US audiences soon!

Looks like a good meet. Info being added here:

http://www.runblogrun.com/2016/05/ad...eryone-to.html

Comment

So why are we just now hearing about it---a few days prior to the meet?
      Was there any word of this earlier that I'd missed seeing?
      Or is this a last minute creation?

Also, they're going up against the Shanghai DL!
      That said, the schedule info Dutra provided above shows a much wider range of events than first talked about---5000's, 400's, etc!
      Last edited by aaronk; 05-10-2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
        So why are we just now hearing about it---a few days prior to the meet?
        Was there any word of this earlier that I'd missed seeing?
        Or is this a last minute creation?

Also, they're going up against the Shanghai DL!
        That said, the schedule info Dutra provided above shows a much wider range of events than first talked about---5000's, 400's, etc!
        From the article, the news went out 5/3. I assume there were many meetings, which many of us weren't privy to, prior to then securing the athletes and the facility logistics. The late date might tamp down paid attendance but it is possible that isn't important to them as having a showcase for their athletes.

Comment

I can't find any public mention of the meet prior to May 3rd and the brochure pdf is dated May 3rd. So this must have been at least somewhat hastily put together.

Comment

The article is wrong. Info about the meet had been available in Germany for much longer, including a list of the athletes Adidas announced.
            Entry lists for 100/200 and PV: http://ladv.de/meldung/teilnehmer/11817
            Entry lists for 400-10000: http://ladv.de/meldung/teilnehmer/10963
            There will be a livestream for both days on leichtathletik.de, i'll post the link once it's available.

Comment

It looks like it might be a major national/local meet that has been expanded by getting a pool of international stars. 29:xx might be tough without enough of a supporting cast to run with (and behind) in the early going.

Comment

Weather doesn't look good. You can put on a meet in May and say you want to be like the Payton Jordan Invite but that doesn't mean you'll get PJI weather.

https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/GMXX1076:1:GM

Or Pre Classic weather for that matter. I get the impression this meet is (understandably) designed to provide an alternative for non-Nike athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                  The article is wrong. Info about the meet had been available in Germany for much longer, including a list of the athletes Adidas announced.
                  There will be a livestream for both days on leichtathletik.de, i'll post the link once it's available.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Wow, just saw Almaz Ayana is in the 5000!
                    (See lists above!)
                    Also David Verburg in the 400, and Christian Soratos in the 1500.
                    Nina Kennedy and Silke Spiegelberg in the PV.
                    (Besides Suhr!)

A name from the past--Ann Kesselring--is listed in both the 800 and 1500.
                    Was she from Oregon---or was it Stanford---awhile back?
                    A fairly big star collegiately!

Comment

Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                        I can't find any public mention of the meet prior to May 3rd and the brochure pdf is dated May 3rd. So this must have been at least somewhat hastily put together.
                        We were first informed of it on April 16th, but it was just mentioned in passing as "a meet for some adidas athletes," with no hint that it was going to turn out to be an affair of significance.

but then, since they won't sell a single ticket on this side of the pond (and may not care if they do at home either), the lack of U.S. publicity is certainly understandable.

Here, adidas has been much more interested in promoting the new Boston meet that is replacing the New York GP

Comment

Originally posted by player View Post
                          Weather doesn't look good. You can put on a meet in May and say you want to be like the Payton Jordan Invite but that doesn't mean you'll get PJI weather.
                          Actually the weather is supposed to be perfect for middle and long distances, 15°C and no or little rain. A bit too cold for the sprinters, but you can't have everything.

Comment

Thanks in advance

Comment

Actually the weather is supposed to be perfect for middle and long distances, 15°C and no or little rain. A bit too cold for the sprinters, but you can't have everything.
                              For the sake of the athletes, I hope the forecast turns out to be in error, but below is current forecast at weather.com link above. Competition is scheduled for Fri eve (13 May) from 6 pm-8:45 pm local time and Sat day (14 May) from 1pm-3:30pm.

13 May:
                              Rain showers in the morning with numerous thunderstorms developing in the afternoon. High 69F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%.
                              Night:
                              Thunderstorms during the evening followed by occasional showers overnight. Low 49F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 90%.

14 May:
                              Overcast with rain showers at times. High 58F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

And I join others in thanking you in advance for a possible viewing link.

Comment

Working...
                              X