Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican medalist in '08 positives?

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/s...nned-substance

I'm pretty sure the Gleaner would not go without some verification that the NGB has in fact been given notice of an A positive from 2008.A good number of possibles have a mark with-in the current OG Q window.
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

List of Jamaican medallists at OG 2008: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaic...ummer_Olympics, all sprinters or hurdlers

Comment

Originally posted by MDelano View Post
      List of Jamaican medallists at OG 2008: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaic...ummer_Olympics, all sprinters or hurdlers
      One article I read was quick to point out that it was NOT Bolt...and i don't think it was SAFP...the gleaner says an experience runner and another media outlet says it was a high profile runner...so we have to wait and see.
      Last edited by DCSIGMA; 06-02-2016, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Ato Boldon just posted on FB telling TNT to wait for it....

Comment

Jamaican medalist in '08 positives?

this should be its own thread, split off from teh Russians, true or not

Comment

A more complete story now posted to front page. Apparently the offending drug is Jamaica's old buddy methylhex....

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              this should be its own thread, split off from teh Russians, true or not
              Probably. It may depend on who the athlete is. If it is someone really high profile then the Internet may explode. If it's a relay alternate... shrug.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
                Probably. It may depend on who the athlete is. If it is someone really high profile then the Internet may explode. If it's a relay alternate... shrug.
                Yeah that sounds about right.

Comment

Question, because I dont know the specific details: SAFP, VCB, Powell and SS all have previous "offenses" and served bans. If they were determined to the the athletes here, that is a second offense and permanent ban?

Apologies if my question falls outside the board guidelines.

Comment

perfectly reasonable question: there is no simple answer. Not only because lengths of penalties vary with the substances involved, but also because of the "providing help" rule which can cause sentences to be shortened.

Comment

I see no reason why a delayed positive would be any different from an "immediate" one in terms of penalty imposed.
                      There are no strings on me

Comment

I wonder if it was a silver or bronze medalist. The article states the athlete was informed last month and the gold medalists competed last month in some meets. I would expect them not to compete at all if they had been notified about positive sample.

Comment

Originally posted by ChitoAZX View Post
                          I wonder if it was a silver or bronze medalist. The article states the athlete was informed last month and the gold medalists competed last month in some meets. I would expect them not to compete at all if they had been notified about positive sample.
                          Why wouldn't they compete in 2016 after being told about a positive from 2008?
                          Regards,
                          toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            A more complete story now posted to front page. Apparently the offending drug is Jamaica's old buddy methylhex....
                            The old buddy that wasn't actually on the WADA list at the time...

-sigh- I hate things like this. Clear cut or hard stuff I have no problems with...the whole methylhexaneamine thing was messy before it was actually placed on the WADA list.

If this is who I've been told, a medal _may_ be lost. If it's that person, no other games/championships would be affected. Will wait to see just like everyone else.
                            Last edited by toyracer; 06-02-2016, 05:12 PM.
                            Regards,
                            toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer View Post
                              Why wouldn't they compete in 2016 after being told about a positive from 2008?
                              Right. No one has been banned from competing.

Comment

Working...
                              X