Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DSKlausler View Post
    I'd go with most. Among the many bullshit events anyway; ignored.
    Ignore it all you like.
    It's YOUR loss!
    I find it one of the most interesting events in T&F!!
    (At least in recent years. Have to admit, I used to be down on the Walks too. But not now!!)

Your comment is an insult to great hard-working Walkers like Tallent, Deniz, and for Americans, Maria Michta-Coffey.

At the NBIN and NBN, HS'er Lauren Harris became the first (in both cases) to Walk the Mile in under 7 minutes!
    She's going to do the 10000 Walk at the USATF Juniors....and I assume the World Juniors!!

Good luck to Maria & Lauren!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1runner1
      sorry but this "event" is more of a joke than ever...doubt any Chinese walker is clean...just give them their own championships and eliminate from OG and WC
      Agree that walks should have their own world championships apart from track and field

Comment

sorry but this "event" is more of a joke than ever...doubt any Chinese walker is clean...just give them their own championships and eliminate from OG and WC
        Perhaps, but how many Chinese walkers have tested positive compared to say Belurus throwers, American sprinters, or Russian everything?
        Last edited by Tuariki; 06-22-2016, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Can we stop the race walk bashing already? Yes, there are plenty of dopers; yes, the rules are somewhat arbitrary; yes, the enforcement of those rules can be controversial; we've just described most sports on this planet.

Comment

one more and you're history.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke View Post
              Then he cited an athlete of him who was victim of a sabotage in the past and didn't rule out this possibility even this time. He said Schwazer is clearly the best walker world-wide (he said nobody could be him, either in 20km) and that he could be a victim of envy people. He said they were approached by important people (didn't say the names) who wanted Schwazer to lose on purpose in Rome to Tallent and a chinese walker.
              The idea that there's an international conspiracy to determine the outcome of the walk just made me LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
                Can we stop the race walk bashing already? Yes, there are plenty of dopers; yes, the rules are somewhat arbitrary; yes, the enforcement of those rules can be controversial; we've just described most sports on this planet.
                My criticism had nothing to do with doping because every event has had dopers. I am more put off by the subjectivity of the rules in regards to contact with the ground. During the replays it looks like everyone is running but not everyone gets DQed.

Comment

The athlete he mentions as being found guilty by sabotage is Erik Tysse. He failed a test from the Rome facility and had enough paperwork showing that his samples did not match those taken. He demanded the sample be DNA tested and was denied. The catch here is that within the RW community it is widely accepted that the sample was Schwazer's and it got switched to protect him.

Comment

Originally posted by tm71 View Post
                    My criticism had nothing to do with doping because every event has had dopers. I am more put off by the subjectivity of the rules in regards to contact with the ground. During the replays it looks like everyone is running but not everyone gets DQed.
                    During replays everyone looks like they false start and hooks the hurdle and passes out of the zone too. That's why replays are not used to make decisions on the field of play, only to confirm decisions if needed. Learn the rules and how they're applied in the events, please.

Comment

It only takes a little bit of clear thinking to realize that you cannot have a rule based on high-speed film for an event where each participant takes 20,000 or 50,000 steps. It has to be based on what can be seen by a trained eye. Since there is both some advantage of breaking the rule and fatigue that sets in from trying to run it right on the edge, yes, you will see violations if you use high-speed film and look at multiple steps. But since the rule is what is visible to a trained eye, it is not cheating; I think that it your misinterpretation/ignorance of the sport.

As for the 'anti-doping' guy; he just lost all credibility. He is saying that some modest levels of testosterone taken more than a decade ago still has a big effect on the muscles is silly. If it worked that way, the way to develop athletes is to have them take steroids for a number of years and not be a competing athlete, then back off and start at low level competitions and by the time you are good enough to compete at the top you would have nothing detectable except for the great muscle development. Since no one does it this way, it does not work. There is no real evidence (weak evidence from rat studies with high levels of steroids where the extended period of assistance is measured in days and weeks does not remotely provide evidence of the supposed effect. High-level usage will have some carryover, most likely, in part because the athlete has been able to train at a higher level because of the PEDs (not just that the PEDs made them 'bigger'), but this notion that after a decade Gatlin is getting a big bump is "not even wrong".

Comment

Originally posted by MJR View Post
                        During replays everyone looks like they false start and hooks the hurdle and passes out of the zone too. That's why replays are not used to make decisions on the field of play, only to confirm decisions if needed. Learn the rules and how they're applied in the events, please.
                        u could do without the sarcasm and pstronizing. I have been watching track and field for 35 yrs and I know the rules very well thank u very much. Personally I find the walk very difficult to digest and follow. The event has done nothing to even get die hard track and field fans like myself to watch it. I won't even try to venture as to how many non track and field fans could follow it.

Comment

Another possible scenario is that there is corruption within the Italian Anti-Doping Agency (a NADO that has had many compliance issues), they tested his sample and it was "clean", then a lab in a different country tests it and it's not clean.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with his case.

Comment

So will they ban Italy from the Olympics as well?

Comment

It sounds like Schwazer may be the first athlete busted for the steroid portion of the biological passport? His test in May put his January test out of line in his passport, so a special retest was done of the January sample and synthetic testosterone was found.

Comment

see story now on home page: Italian court clears Schwazer.

story doesn't address whether or not that court has any binding on WADA and or CAS

Comment

Working...
                                X