Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Olympic Trials Status Of Entries

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • US Olympic Trials Status Of Entries

    Declaration period has begun. They have a rolling declaration period that runs all the way to midnight two days before the opening round of the event in question. But for the most part real news will be when someone scratches for whatever reason.

    http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calend...f-Entries.aspx

  • #2
    Ameer Webb has scratched the 100 so appears to be focused on 200 only.

    Comment


    • #3
      That has to be the stupidest website I've seen in a long time.

      Let's see, I want to see the 800 entries.
      Click on 800. Ok, I have a choice of Open Men, Open Women, and All Divisions. Lets go for Open Men.
      Click on Open Men. Ok, now my choice is Men.
      Click on Men. Now I get the status of the men's 800.

      Something tells me there is an easier way to do that.

      Comment


      • #4
        they hired the IAAF web people :-)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mcgato View Post
          That has to be the stupidest website I've seen in a long time.

          Let's see, I want to see the 800 entries.
          Click on 800. Ok, I have a choice of Open Men, Open Women, and All Divisions. Lets go for Open Men.
          Click on Open Men. Ok, now my choice is Men.
          Click on Men. Now I get the status of the men's 800.

          Something tells me there is an easier way to do that.
          I seem to recall that it was like this in previous year(s). Yes, clumsy, clunky, and just plain incompetent Web design. They need to hire a high schooler to rewrite their page.

          Comment


          • #6
            And there's Leah O'Connor at 9:18 in women's steeple. From Jack Pfeiffer's predictions in tfn I would have guessed she wasn't running?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
              And there's Leah O'Connor at 9:18 in women's steeple. From Jack Pfeiffer's predictions in tfn I would have guessed she wasn't running?
              O'Connor is picked second in the current formchart. Not sure what was up with the previous one.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
                I seem to recall that it was like this in previous year(s). Yes, clumsy, clunky, and just plain incompetent Web design. They need to hire a high schooler to rewrite their page.
                It's dumb. Three clicks when one could easily do the trick.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mcgato View Post
                  That has to be the stupidest website I've seen in a long time.

                  Let's see, I want to see the 800 entries.
                  Click on 800. Ok, I have a choice of Open Men, Open Women, and All Divisions. Lets go for Open Men.
                  Click on Open Men. Ok, now my choice is Men.
                  Click on Men. Now I get the status of the men's 800.

                  Something tells me there is an easier way to do that.
                  Seems to me it's been that way for a few years and for all championships. Juniors is set up the same way. Even for events which only have one gender competing in the event.

                  It doesn't make any sense.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A couple of slightly related questions that the well informed might know. Are colleges allowed to pay travel and room/board expenses for there athletes to attend meets such as the olympic trials? Also how does a post collegiate athlete (assuming no pro contract and not eligible for the travel funding USATF provides) who is on the "bubble" as to whether they are going to qualify for the trials or not have any reasonable way to make travel plans?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                      Are colleges allowed to pay travel and room/board expenses for there athletes to attend meets such as the olympic trials?
                      Yes, that's one of the advantages of going to a school with a mid seven-figure track budget.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                        A couple of slightly related questions that the well informed might know. Are colleges allowed to pay travel and room/board expenses for there athletes to attend meets such as the olympic trials? Also how does a post collegiate athlete (assuming no pro contract and not eligible for the travel funding USATF provides) who is on the "bubble" as to whether they are going to qualify for the trials or not have any reasonable way to make travel plans?

                        I think colleges can pay travel and expenses, BUT it gets tricky for athletes on the bubble because if they DON'T get in the meet, the school can't pay for anything. Say a college athlete is 25 on the list and they are pretty sure someone ahead of them is going to scratch. Their school risks a major NCAA violation if they fly them out any sooner and then they don't get in the meet.

                        This was a huge issue in 2012. In the women's pole vault, some marks were found to be set on long pegs. It was back and forth about what would happen. Athletes were let in with LESS THAN 24 HOURS BEFORE THE MEET after being told they for sure weren't getting in. It was literally impossible for one athlete to get from SC to Eugene in that time period, so she didn't go, but then the qualifying round was cancelled (weather) and she was on the start list for the final, so she flew out, only to be told she could not even pick up her athlete credential, let alone compete, because she had not checked in for the qualifying round.

                        The whole last minute nature of the thing is absolutely ridiculous and causes drama every single time. Everyone knows this, as far as I can tell, agents are the ones resistant to moving the declaration window earlier?

                        Yes, it is extremely difficult for athletes on the bubble who have little support.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          With al oat exactly 7 days to go, the m 10000m field so far seems to have only 14 entries, with 4 more qualified but not declared, including Bernard Lagat, Ben True, Juan Constadino, and Futsum Ziensellassie.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Django View Post
                            With al oat exactly 7 days to go, the m 10000m field so far seems to have only 14 entries, with 4 more qualified but not declared, including Bernard Lagat, Ben True, Juan Constadino, and Futsum Ziensellassie.
                            If past precedence holds they will ultimately "accept" entries up to the target field size of 24. So several of the "not accepted" entries will be in the race.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm a bit confused by the fact that some athletes who are short of the qual standard but within the target are shown as "not qualified" and "not accepted" and others in that same range are shown as simply "not qualified". That certainly implies that "not accepted" means "rejected", in which case they presumably would not be added simply to fill the target field size.

                              But there are a lot of entries that are marked "not accepted". One wonders why they were not accepted. I assume that the reason for non-acceptance is being communicated to the affected athletes directly or through their representatives.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X