3. Donn Cabral (Nike)¶ 3
    4. Stanley Kebenei (Nike)¶ 5
    5. Cory Leslie (Nike)¶ 6
    6. Hillary Bor (US Army)¶ nr
    7. Mason Ferlic (Michigan)¶ (10)
    8. Andy Bayer (Bowerman TC)¶ 4
    9. Donnie Cowart (Saucony)¶ 8
    10. Tabor Stevens (Asics)¶ 7
    Last edited by dj; 07-09-2016, 12:30 AM.

T&FN formchart after heats:

1. Evan Jager (Bowerman TC)¶ 1
    2. Dan Huling (Bowerman TC)¶ 2
    3. Donn Cabral (Nike)¶ 3
    4. Stanley Kebenei (Nike)¶ 5
    5. Cory Leslie (Nike)¶ 6
    6. Hillary Bor (US Army)¶ nr
    7. Mason Ferlic (Michigan)¶ (10)
    8. Andy Bayer (Bowerman TC)¶ 4
    9. Donnie Cowart (Saucony)¶ 8
    10. Tabor Stevens (Asics)¶ 7

Coward advanced to final on appeal
    Last edited by dj; 07-06-2016, 12:42 AM.

Comment

and the hurdle at the finish line was set at the women's height apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        I guess the Eugene folks have some shortcomings - better too short than the too-high water barrier that ruined Bush's career.

The last three laps were 3x62 which yields 3:07 or so for what I think is not much short of 1200m (1186m?) or close to 2:30 for the last kilo.

Comment

The 2k split was 5:44.89. The last k was 2:37.59 (7:53 pace).

Comment

Jager ran a careful final. I don't think he's in 8:00 shape again, right now, so
            I'm hoping he's peaking for the Olympic Games. I'm excited for him running side by side with the Kenyans again and not hitting the last hurdle. GO EVAN!

Comment

Jager looked smooth. Not at all red lining it. When he came off the last hurdle, and saw Bor right behind him, it looked like he put the pedal for about 50 meters, and easily opened up his final gap. There's more in the tank. Hopefully it will be enough to be in the medal hunt come Rio.

Comment

Very similar race to the women. Slow first half, big finish. Kibenee was on leaders' shoulder whole way, but really paid price in last lap. Bayer moved well with Jager, but was stepped on just before last water jump, and ruined his race. Bor must have ran a gigantic pr (another WCAP success story). Cabral was strong on last lap when he needs to be.

Comment

Based on actions at the final water jump, while USATF is lining up the rerun of the woman's 800m, they should prepare the steeple pit for a rerun of the men's steeple.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                    I guess the Eugene folks have some shortcomings - better too short than the too-high water barrier that ruined Bush's career.

The last three laps were 3x62 which yields 3:07 or so for what I think is not much short of 1200m (1186m?) or close to 2:30 for the last kilo.
                    The officials conducting the meet, incl. settling up the barriers, come from all over the nation.

Comment

He reminds me of a rock star in so many ways !

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                        I believe that the barrier just past the finish line was set at 33 inches, which is one of the 3 settings on this model, the UCS Adjustable Steeplechase Barrier #506-5415.

Based upon careful visual inspection of that barrier on HDTV, and comparing it to the other 3 non-water barriers and also to the appearance of the barriers during the wSteeple, I am convinced that that one barrier was indeed placed lower than the 36" men's height during the mSteeple, but higher than the 30" wSteeple height. Discovering that this model of barrier has a 33" setting provides the answer. This must be the male youth height.

Comment

And at one point, leader Mason Ferlic turns and points to the barrier after he has gone over it, because he knows something is amiss.... the marks (most notably a "PR" by Bor) go out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
                            I believe that the barrier just past the finish line was set at 33 inches, which is one of the 3 settings on this model, the UCS Adjustable Steeplechase Barrier #506-5415.

Based upon careful visual inspection of that barrier on HDTV, and comparing it to the other 3 non-water barriers and also to the appearance of the barriers during the wSteeple, I am convinced that that one barrier was indeed placed lower than the 36" men's height during the mSteeple, but higher than the 30" wSteeple height. Discovering that this model of barrier has a 33" setting provides the answer. This must be the male youth height.
                            Yeah, 33" is (or was, in my day), the "high hurdle" height for US high schools. The U20 hurdles are 99cm, 3" 2.976".
                            Cheers,
                            Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                              Yeah, 33" is (or was, in my day), the "high hurdle" height for US high schools. The U20 hurdles are 99cm, 3" 2.976".
                              Cheers,
                              Alan Shank
                              I'm not claiming to be an expert on 33" steeple barriers, just noting that it is one of the 3 possible heights with the model of barrier in use at the 2016 Trials, and is the height that the barrier near the finish line was incorrectly set at during the mSt final.

I think that the 400H is a better race with which to compare hurdle/barrier heights, as the heights for both men and women are identical for the 2 events. I think that the 33" (84cm) height for the steeple was implemented in 2013 for Youth Boys (a.k.a. U18) 2000m steeplechase, at least in some jurisdictions.
                              http://athleticsontario.ca/youth-boy...ights-lowered/

Comment

Working...
                              X